Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Is my warranty worth keeping? - argybargy

Hi Folks

Just wondering what the forum thinks about repair warranties for used cars. I've had a warranty since about 2008, covering first a Meriva and then my current car, an 07 Focus that I bought in 2010. The warranty costs 21 quid a month, the excess on any claim is 50 quid and I've claimed once in seven years for a new coil on the Meriva. In that time I've probably paid out around 1500 quid and got 70 quid back.

Thing is, money is tight right now and I'm thinking of ditching the warranty. Obviously its a judgement call and a "how long is a piece of string" sort of dilemma because this decision could cost me dearly if something goes badly wrong with the Focus. However, its been serviced recently, I look after it (having had the timing belt changed at 64k, for example) and I don't do a great deal of mileage. I'm thinking maybe I should be putting the money away rather than spending it on a warranty...but when I go to pick up that phone the thought of Sod's Law is causing me the collywobbles.

Any advice/ thoughts/suggestions welcome, cheers.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Is my warranty worth keeping? - Andrew-T

I think you have answered your own question and are just looking for encouragement. Once you have got to know and trust your car (after say 6 months) paying out £250 a year doesn't look like good value. There are several threads on here pointing out that the people who make money out of warranties are those who sell them for a living.

Of course there is always a small risk that something expensive will happen, but in the end you are just placing a bet that it won't. The bookies usually profit.

If you look after it (which costs too) it shouldn't let you down. Why shell out and get nothing for it? Put the £21/month in the piggy-bank and spend it next Christmas - or on the car if it lets you down ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/08/2015 at 19:38

Thanks for your response.

Your assumption is correct: When I wrote the above, I suppose I was hoping someone would agree that cancelling the warranty is the wisest course. Then it struck me that a car warranty might be similar to other kinds of insurance-- ie, a prudent investment against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, and one that you hope never to have to call upon--and I wavered again.

I'll sleep on it, but I think I'll be getting rid. Money's too tight to mention.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Is my warranty worth keeping? - slkfanboy

In 28 years i've had two expensive repairs. A clutch at £1500 which would not be covered and a valve spring the broke the cam belt and valves which cost £400 and well may have been a claim. Everything else has been maintenance or small beer. And 2 others covered under manufacters warranty.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Is my warranty worth keeping? - Avant

"a prudent investment against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...."

Sadly, with an 8-year-old car (although it's a good car) the slings and arrows will be directed at you. The warranty company will do their best to refuse any claim and say it's fair wear and tear, and the older the car geta the more they'll do it.

I agree with the others - save your money, and perhaps put aside into a deposit account anything you can afford as a repair fund.

Thanks again.

My past experience of claiming against car breakdown warranties (admittedly, mainly during the 1990s when I bought one bad car after another)has been positive. They paid out on several occasions, and the cost of the repairs was covered in full. That, along with a degree of inertia, is why I've let this cover continue. Have these companies become more hard-nosed over the last two decades or so?

My own experience largely concurs with the opinion already stated in one response, being that its in the first six months of ownership that you usually find serious fault with a used car.

I still haven't made a decision but I'll bear all your comments in mind. My car is indeed 8 years old but in reasonably good nick, and I don't drive it hard.

20 quid a month would pay for central heating breakdown cover...and winter's coming.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2007 - Is my warranty worth keeping? - Andrew-T

They paid out on several occasions, and the cost of the repairs was covered in full.

But did you get back more in total than you had paid in? If yes, that turned out a wise decision. Or ....