Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - Benet

I am considering buying a 2010 Auris which appears to have a good service history. However the front bumper spoiler moulding is slightly loose from the front wings. It has a little bit of play in it.

There are pictures on the attached link and you may see an extended gap.

www.partexchangesdirect.co.uk/used-cars/toyota-aur...2

Is this a familar problem?

The car is due for an MOT before he sells it. Will that correct the problem?

The car has a full history search and this does not show any evidence of accidents as far as I can see.

Any thoughts or advice greatfully received.

Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - skidpan

The car is due for an MOT before he sells it. Will that correct the problem?

An MOT will not repair bodywork. For it to fail an MOT there will need to be exposed sharp edges.

Photo 9 shows a gap that I would guess was caused by a parking knock, nothing serious. I would suggest if the car had taken a serious knock at some time thios problem would not be present, any repairs would have sorted it.

If you like the car why not ask the seller to fix it or knock money off.

Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - RobJP

I would doubt if it's taken a serious knock. Just as likely to have taken a really minor bump which someone hasn't bothered fixing.

Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - V4 Heaven
If you like it, spend £20 odd quid on a HPI check. These won't show all damage but is a starter for 10.
Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - RobJP

If you read it has a free HPI check and will not show any damage that has not been reported to an insurance company.

WRONG.

A HPI check will only show if it has been declared as a write-off. Normal minor damage which has been repaired will NOT show up on a HPI check.

Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - thunderbird

The simple fact is an HPI check will only show if the car has been declared an Insurance Write off.

Damage that has been repaired by an insurance company will not show.

Damage that has been repaired privately will not show.

HPI checks are not the wonderful tool most buyers think they are. Tell most buyers the car is clear on HPI and they think its an as new bargain of the year.

Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - thunderbird

To sum it up as far as the punter is concerned they are not worth the paper they are printed on.

They are a valuable document. They should tell you if the vehicle has been a write off, they should tell you if there is still finance on the car.

But they are not perfect and buyers do not realise their limitations.

Some buyers still think a car with an MOT will be perfect for the next 12 months. Some buyers think an HPI is a similar garantee.

Toyota Auris 1.33 - Toyota Auris front bumper/wing gap - Benet

It turned out to be minor damage - a screw holding a clip in place had come off. I decided to buy the car with a lower price and full service/MOT to be done prior to collection.