Audi A6 1.8T - Clutch smell but not slipping - snowedunder

Re. my Audi A6, 1.8T petrol, 16 years old, well looked after, 120k mileage, carefully driven.
Summer check at garage, was told clutch is slipping,
(price quoted: clutch @ flywheel at £700 total, which is less then 2 other local garages I asked).
I have not noticed the clutch slipping so far, only twice recently when parking on a steep hill had I smelled it.

Got car back from garage without the repair as I need to consider if it's still economical to have done. The car now stinks of burnt clutch!

Did a road test, 3rd/4th gear. rev up....pulls away nicely,in line with revs. Same on handbrake stop/start, it doesn't rev up/slip - and will start to stall in 3rd gear with handbrake engaged.

Has the garage guy just done some handbreak turns in my neighbourhood and wants to cover himself with this story or am I looking at trouble?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Audi A6 1.8T - Clutch smell but not slipping - Manatee

I might be barking up the wrong tree but both of my last two cars appear to have suffered from glazing of the friction plate.

I say 'appear' because neither was stripped down. My diesel CRV clutch started to slip at about 60,000 miles. I am very easy on clutches and have literally never had to replace one in 40 years of driving, so I couldn't believe it was worn out unless it was faulty. With nothing to lose I roasted the clutch and it was fine. I had to repeat the process once in the next 40,000 miles. I sold the car at 100,000 still on the same clutch with no sign of slip.

I have since had a similar experience with the Outlander, and have 'mended' that the same way.

What I'm speculating (and it is a thin hypothesis I know) is that your garage has noticed some slip, 'tested' it as you have done, and between you you have fixed it! I'm not particularly attached to that theory, as I don't really expect faults to mend themselves, but I'm struggling to find a better explanation for my own experiences.

I suppose it could have been contamination but if there was a fluid leak I wouldn't have expected the CRV clutch to be good 40,000 miles later. I have come to the conclusion that my driving style (I never hold a car on the clutch, and slip it as little as possible with the minimum of rpm), combined perhaps with modern non-asbestos materials and living in a flat area just polishes the clutch rather than wearing it away.

Of course both of these turbo diesels have (compared with the naturally aspirated petrol cars of old) enormous torque in the normal driving range. I do wonder if some of today's clutches are really man enough - the Outlander claims 380Nm of torque at 2000rpm; compare that with the 168Nm at 3500rpm of a 1991 Audi 2.0 petrol I had at one time, and I don't suppose the clutch is a lot bigger.

I'd be inclined to soldier on for a bit and see what happens, if you are confident it isn't slipping now. Just make sure your breakdown cover is current!

Audi A6 1.8T - Clutch smell but not slipping - bathtub tom
My diesel CRV clutch started to slip at about 60,000 miles. I am very easy on clutches and have literally never had to replace one in 40 years of driving, so I couldn't believe it was worn out unless it was faulty. With nothing to lose I roasted the clutch and it was fine. I had to repeat the process once in the next 40,000 miles. I sold the car at 100,000 still on the same clutch with no sign of slip.

Not wishing to 'rain on your parade', but could that have been a little bit of oil contamination that you burnt off?

Audi A6 1.8T - Clutch smell but not slipping - Manatee
Yes that was initially what I thought too, but that would presumably have come from a leak which I would have expected to get worse, not better. Still possible I suppose. When it happened a second time it started to look as if I was the common factor!
Audi A6 1.8T - Clutch smell but not slipping - snowedunder

Thank you all for your replies.

The garage I used has been giving me very good and reliable service over several years, that's why I am so confused between what I was told/advised by them and my own experience with my car as described in my initial posting. Today I did a 40 mile trip, city driving, lots of stop starts, hill parking/handbrake and reversing up hill, dual carriage way - accelerated the car to 80 miles in 4th gear...no slipping, no decline or delay in acceleration either.

The burnt clutch smell inside the car gradually getting better (or is it just my imagination?).

So at the moment I'm saving my budget for when it gets really noticeable bad.

And yes - I have also just renewed my inexpensive breakdown cover - incl. European travel.

Though next year my then 16 year old car will be refused cover by that company due to its age restriction. Any pointers which company does reasonable breakdown cover for 16 plus?

Thanks again and safe driving.