A new motor for Daveyjp - daveyjp

After almost 4.5 years ownership, close to 50,000 miles, 47,000 of these in my ownership, yesterday was time to say goodbye to the B class.

The car covered the miles effortlessly and never let me down and drove as well as day one. However recently some items were starting to fail and boredom was setting in – I seem to have a habit of trading at about 50,000 miles. It was time to take advantage of what is still a decent residual and look for something else. So what to change it for?

My main requirements were: rear leg room at least as good as the B for an ever growing daughter and her posse of mates, good load space for sports gear and camping trips, as my mileage is now less than 10,000 a year a petrol, mpg no worse than the B class, about a year old.

I considered a few options.

New B class was an obvious starting point, but the interior and that silly screen which looks like an afterthought was off putting.

The VAG group cars with the 1.4TSi. I went to look at a Golf SV, but rear legroom wasn’t brilliant and it was the 150bhp GT version, so silly rims and tyres – our local VW dealers, like many, aren’t the best either.

Audi Q3, Q5 with same engine – too expensive at 12 months old.

3 series GT 2.0 Petrol X drive manual, expensive and I missed not sitting high up. 2 series sports tourer – currently only has the 1.5 engine and it didn’t feel roomy inside.

In the end I went to look at a brand I looked at about 8 years ago, but disregarded due to the poor interior of their models which was more 1987 than 2007. A visit to the local dealership at the end of last year put it back in my mind as a one to consider due to the improvements which have been made in both interior fit and engine efficiency.

After an extended test drive on Sunday, I drove away yesterday in a less than 12 month old Subaru Forester 2.0 petrol and it meets all my requirements. Ample rear legroom, lots of luggage space, decent mpg, proper handbrake, spare wheel. Four wheel drive may also come in handy and whilst its nice to have I hope I never need the 5 year warranty. Tax is slightly higher, but I saved more than enough on my insurance to cover the difference, which surprised me.

On the 50 mile trip back from picking the car up – about 35 miles of motorway, it recorded 53.3mpg – the B did 44mpg on the trip down. I’ve done 25 miles all urban today and it is recording 38 mpg, so very similar to the B. It was nice to have cruise control back and a sunroof is a rarity these days.

I did a 30 mile mixed trip last night and whilst 150bhp is not up there with the top end Subarus and the 0-60 figures look disappointing, once it is rolling and you use the revs it really picks up speed, the four wheel drive giving it a planted feel. 60 mph in 2nd isn’t a problem and it has that typical Subaru ‘growl’ once you get above 3,500 rpm, although cabin soundproofing dampens this significantly.

The buying experience was also one of the best I have encountered. Large main dealers could learn a thing or two from smaller dealers and also appreciate the world has moved on. No hard sell of GAP, paint and tyre protection, hours being brow beaten, sales staff going back to the boss to do the deal etc etc. The deal was done in one phone call and half an hour in the dealership.

In some ways I’ll miss the B class, it was up there with my A2 for ownership experience (also sold at about 52,000 miles), but in a strange way I still have it as my wife has an almost identical A class!

A new motor for Daveyjp - Happy Blue!

Davey - your requirements could mirror mine and whilst I was considering larger vehicles like the Disco Sport, I thought that the Forester was too small at the back. If it is not then I could be on for our fourth Scooby......thanks for the tip.

A new motor for Daveyjp - HandCart

53 mpg on the M'way (at what speed?) and 38 mpg locally, from a 2.0 petrol?

Sounds remarkably good (!?)

They are computer figures, so no idea on accuracy. I have just filled up so will be able to do a brim to brim check.

Motorway was mixed speed, but I'm not a "get anywhere as quick as you can" driver. There was about 5 miles of enforced 50 limit, but 70ish the rest of the trip. In 6th its doing about 2500 rpm at 70mph. This was top and tailed with heavier urban traffic.

A new motor for Daveyjp - gordonbennet

Left field choice we didn't expect, hope it gives you much pleasure.

You know you can't just leave it there, you got to let us know how the ride compares over your usual journeys, presumably sensible tyres?...and we'll need lots of updates if you please, ta.

Proper parking brake...stick that in your pipe progressives and smoke it..:-)

A new motor for Daveyjp - corax

Daveyjp, does your new shape Forester still have the mechanical hill holder function or is it now electronic?

It has hill hold and as there is a facility to disengage the system I assume it is electronic.
A new motor for Daveyjp - drd63

Sounds like a good choice and mpg isn't entirely unexpected. I was driving my son's 05 Honda Civic sport at the weekend and much to my surprise the trip was showing 38.5mpg which would have been mainly urban. My driving in it was fast Mway and was giving 45.5mpg. However, what on earth was beginning to fail on the B class at 55k miles!! The 77k Civic, 110k Hyundai Coupe and 62k DS5 in the family are all fine with nothing feeling fragile.

A new motor for Daveyjp - concrete

Hello daveyjp, you are obviously very pleased so far. Does the Sub have a tow bar fitted? Interested to know if it is a good towing machine.

Cheers Concrete

No tow bar fitted. With 150bhp and 4wd I can't see it not being able to tow, but its something I have never done and never intend to.

Diesel would peobably be better, but the dealer did admit they have far more engine related warranty claims on the diesels than the petrols, although DPF coupled with lack of use is the source of many problems, there's always the petrol turbo if you have shares in BP!
A new motor for Daveyjp - corax

My older 2005 model has a towbar and I don't use it, but it'll be useful if I decide to get a small trailer.

They make excellent tow vehicles. Good traction and low down torque combined with good stability, and the drivetrain is tough.

Petrol fuel economy will be pretty bad when towing, but if only for occasional use it's not really an issue, and you don't buy one of these to save fuel, unless you LPG it.

Diesels don't seem to have the same dependability. I would have thought that Subaru were reluctantly forced into producing a diesel version to keep up with the market, but it's something that was not in their blood.

A new motor for Daveyjp - gordonbennet

Yes i've seen too many Diesel Legacy/Outbacks for sale with not particularly high mileage with knocking or otherwise faulty engines.

Not one of Subaru's best IMO, why they made it so small @ 2.0 litre i don't know, Dieseling the 2.5 or even the 3.0L H6 then lightly blowing it would have produced an easy running frugal and long lived oil burner i suspect.