Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - amateurphotographer

Hello

Following some excellent advice regarding engines etc, I have a further query regarding the running in period for new cars.

I understand that there needs to be a period of time where you treat the car very carefully interms of revs, speed, acceleration, braking etc to allow the car to bed itself in.

My initial thoughts on this is to work back from when that would not be practical to ensure that I order it and get a delivery date that allows plenty of time.

For example, I do about 150 miles each week tops (my commute is 100 miles), now our annual holiday next year will be for arguments sake on the 1st August. That means on the 1st August I will load the car boot full, a full size roof box full and four adults inside. The journey from Lincolnshire to Austria is basically 900 miles of mainly motorway (each way) driving with plenty of hills along the way. Now I know long runs always do engines good but obviously this kind of driving is not compatible with running the car in.

Is it a case of 1000 or 1500 or 2000 clear local miles treating the car with care before the long motorway heavy haul?

Many thanks

Paul

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - slkfanboy

I would give it 1000miles of low strain and revving. To be honest new engine don't seam be tight like in the old days.

Drive and Enjoy

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - Manatee

Opinions vary. I'd avoid labouring the engine (always), build up the occasional use of higher rpm gradually, and vary the rpm a bit on long motorway journeys for the first 1000 miles or so.

Check the oil level regularly.

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - craig-pd130

My 10 pence worth is this - being too gentle with the engine from new is just as bad as thrashing the genitals off it.

The engine needs to do a reasonable amount of work, early in its life, to help bed-in the piston rings to the cylinder bores, maximise compression and minimise oil consumption.

Ideally in the first 20 minutes / 20 miles or so of driving after you’ve picked it up from the dealer, find a nice stretch of open road (a dual carriageway with a roundabout at either end is ideal). In 4 th gear at around 2,000rpm, accelerate smoothly but briskly using about half throttle, until the revcounter hits about 4,000rpm. Then lift off, and let your speed bleed back down. Repeat 5 or 6 times. Then just drive normally after that.

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - RobJP

I would imagine Ford give recomendations in the handbook for running-in - I know that BMW do so.

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - Happy Blue!

I have just run a new Renault in. I followed a combination of the handbook advice and that in the HJ FAQs on this site.

Only used a maximum of 3,000rpm for the first 1,000 miles but gave the car some smooth workouts during that time with strong accelerations at 50% - 75% full throttle. When coming down from high speed, I would use engine braking to get the revs up to 4,000rpm but without any load. As I got over 1,000 miles I used more revs and now (at almost 2,000 miles) I am using a far greater spread of revs with occasional use of 6,000rpm for a very short time.

The improvement in performance and economy since I bought the car is measureable and significant. The engine pulls stronger, is quieter and the economy has increased by at least 10% (I am keeping a detailed record).

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - TedCrilly

Instructions will be in the handbook, best you follow them, allthough these days the requirements for running in are nothing like they once were.

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - SteveLee

Just drive normally - there's no need to run in modern engines. An occasional good burst of revs then allowing engine breaking to slow the car down again helps prevent bore glazing - which will happen if you're too gentle with a new engine.

Ford Mondeo Mk5 (1.5 Ecoboost) - Running in Period - daveyK_UK

I was told by the Skoda dealer to give the 1.2 tsi a good blast for the first 2,000 miles.