Focus Suspension Groans - TB
Hi, my '99 1.4 Focus has recently developed a number of nigely problems. First up is a distictive groan from what appears to be the front suspension. It seems worse on the left hand side as it is more prominent when I am turning left at lower speeds. It has been sugested that it may be the CV joint??

Also, the speedometer drops to zero at random but after a few seconds jumps back to what is presumably the correct speed. Is this a loose connection or a sensor problem.

The car is due its first MOT shortly so I need to get these things sorted.

Many thanks for any replies.

TB
Focus Suspension Groans - DavidHM
Can't really help you with the details, but if it's a 99 Focus it will now be well over the date for its first MoT, which is normally three years after its first registration.
Thanks DavidHM. In Ireland it's currently 4 years.
Focus Suspension Groans - Chas{P}
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.52/1999
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 20.05.1999

Section: 14 (204-01)

Model: Focus 99 MY built from 08.98 to 14.02.99 (build codes WP to XK)

Markets: All

Subject: Rattle/knocking noise from front suspension when cornering or driving over rough road surfaces.

Summary

Should a customer express concern that there is a rattle or knocking noise coming from the front suspension when cornering or driving over rough road surfaces, the probable cause is that there is too much free play between the upper front spring seat and the spring. This should be rectified by installing a rubber isolator between the spring seat and spring to eliminate the free play.

Hope this jogs your dealers memory.

Charles
Focus Suspension Groans - smokie
Charles - does this mean that the dealer will apply this fix FoC or will the owner have to pay?
TB/Smokie

If the car has a FFSH and the Service Manager is obliging then possibly it would be done FOC.

Labour time of 1.3 hours would be similar to changing the front shocks and the parts involved only cost £2.22 + Vat per side so the cost overall should not be too bad if you do have to pay.

HTH

Charles

Charles - It's more of a creak and groan rather than a rattle or knocking noise. It also seems more prevalent when I go over a speed bump even very slowly??

Anyone any idea on the speedo problem??
TB

I cannot find a specific 'TSB' on this. The speedo is electronic so I suspect a poor electrical connection somewhere butween the gearbox and instrument panel.

HTH

Charles