Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - mattrday

About a month ago the engine on my 4 year old Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI suffered a catastrophic failure (the car had done 40000 miles. the reason, 'the timing chain slipped', the cause, no idea said the garage.

Could it happen again I asked, maybe said the garage! A bit of research on line and a chat with the AA and it appears it's a known problem with 1.8 and 2.0 litre engines. A known issue that SKODA do nothing about.

The outcome is that Skoda have billed me £2500 pounds for a brand new engine, they have paid the same (50% goodwill).

Now the second bit, the customer service. Here things take a nose dive. I was driving up the M40 after getting the car back and there was terrible noise. Pulled in opened the bonnet and found they had left a wrench in the engine compartment, it was resting against a black drive belt. Lovely. However this did not solve the problem of the noise. No that was because they had failed to screw the undercarriage back on after they completed the work, and it was scraping along the motorway. The car was not fit for the road.

The skoda response, 'we are very sorry, bring it in and we will give it a once over' . As if i'd want those idiots looking at my car again. It would seem Skoda have not moved on in terms of manufacturing quality or customer service.

Any advice on potential courses of action?

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - skidpan

So Skoda paid 1/2 the bill on a car 1 year out of warranty. I would say that is very generous. Top marks to Skoda, its this sort of thing that puts them at the top of nearly every customer survey.

Obviously no excuse for leaving wrenches under the bonnet or not securing undertrays but its not only Skoda mechanics who do that. Getting them to give you a free service when its due is your best solution. You cannot claim for anything else as no damage was actually done.

Enjoy your car again now its repaired.

Edited by skidpan on 12/05/2015 at 11:08

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - brum

Virtually all tsi engines from vag have weak/poor timing chain designs with poor quality manufacture through their suppliers.

Timing chain failures are well known problems and the exisyense of many tpi's own up to it. Skoda uk insist on ignoring these problems unless a customers highlights it.

Disgusting behaviour from skoda, and not generous at all.

Appalling garage service, needs reporting to skoda.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - skidpan

Lets get this into perspective.

A vast majority of TSi engines have been absolutely fine.

Like all manufacturers VAG have had issues with some engines.

If you visit the Skoda forums even they admit that the number of problem engines is tiny compared to the number made.

Just consider that Avant his on his 2nd (or more) TSi Octavia and has never reported a problem.

Like all these problems I do wonder how many are caused by incorrect servicing using the wrong oils or no servicing at all. Many problems with these high powered TSi engines are known to be caused by owners chipping and thrashing the engines. Owners quite happily admit this on the Seat form and go on to say they will sell it before the warranty ends and let the next owner have all the inevtiable issues.

Appalling garage service, needs reporting to skoda

Since garages are private bussinesses there is little Skoda can do other than offer free servicing next time perhaps.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - CK91437

So Skoda paid 1/2 the bill on a car 1 year out of warranty. I would say that is very generous. Top marks to Skoda, its this sort of thing that puts them at the top of nearly every customer survey.

Surely you must be having a laugh.

You appear to be saying that the customer should be grateful that the engine lasted approximately 40,000 miles

@mattrday When you switch your engine on after it has stood overnight (ie cold startup), does the red engine oil pressure light take about 6 seconds to go out?

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - craig-pd130

I'd second Skidpan's opinion. 50% goodwill for a car that's out of warranty in terms of both time and mileage is a very good offer.

As to the shoddy reassembly / undertray issue, take it up with the garage for a free service or similar.

Just out of curiosity, have you owned the car from new, and has the same dealer always serviced it?

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - gordonbennet

It's ok customer service, nothing extraordinary IMO, it won't have cost them a bean as no doubt a new engine cost to the maker is half or less retail...they could have walked away from responsibility as warranty was technically out, at least they made a contribution.

Does highlight the importance of buying as long a makers warranty as possible, as many other makers this would have been a simple warranty claim at no cost to customer.

It's not bad customer service that a spanner got left under the bonnet, these things happen now and again, i've found all sorts on the chassis of my lorries over the years.

Undertray scraping on the road seems to be regular with VW group and PSA cars, seen dozens scraping along in the past few years.

For those who run VW group cars, in the make specific forums do those who take servicing a little more seriously than the makers and change oils in between recommended intervals suffer less in the way of timing chain failures or is this problem nothing to do with oil starvation/cleanliness issues.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - brum

So a 3yr/60000 mile warranty, and one year layer and only 40,000 miles the engine is toast.

No its not acceptable, the timing chain is not a service item and very special oil is not specified for this engine, certainly a dealer would not use the wrong oil.

The problem is the timing chain supplier, the story is they have been caught supply VAG with chains manufactured usiing clapped out tooling, the link holes are not cleanly stamped and so dont have the full depth of metal. This in turn causes the links to wear quickly and the chain stretches. Add to this a ridiculous habit of many vag hydraulic tensioners draining/releasing when stood PLUS up until recently, no means to restrain the timing chain if it lifts off the timing sprockets. Latest engines have a cover with a guard molded in them.

If skidpan found himself in the ops situation Im sure he would just shrug his shoulders and say fair enough....

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - gordonbennet

Are these duplex chains or ''cheap as we can get away and still call it quality'' singles, and are balance shafts involved in these engines?

Are these duplex chains or ''cheap as we can get away and still call it quality'' singles, and are balance shafts involved in these engines?

They are "gear chains" not roller chains i.e. inverted tooth chains. There are dual balance shafts but driven by a seperate chain.

An example of one of the many TPI's that dealers ignore before its too late.....

Technical product information
Transaction No.: 2024485/5
Damage of timing chain tensioner
Release date: 27-Jun-2011

Customer statement / workshop findings

Engine cannot be started, the Check warning lamp is on.

In the engine CU, the following fault is stored:

00022 P0016 CMP Sensor -G40 Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor -G28 Incorrect allocation;

00808 P0328 Knock Sensor 1-G61 Circuit High.

Technical background

Because of the defective function of the timing chain tensioner, the timing chain may get too loose during the start causing a valve timing change. This may result in a contact of valves with pistons.

Production change

Reinforced timing chain tensioner – new part 06H 109 467 T.

It was introduced to series production in CW 20, 2010.

Edited by brum on 12/05/2015 at 18:38

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - craig-pd130

"This may result in a contact of valves with pistons."

Wonderfully understated. Reminded me of the old Not The Nine O'Clock News 'airline safety' sketch:

"When disaster strikes, there may be a slight loss of cabin pressure, and a reduction in the number of wings."

certainly a dealer would not use the wrong oil

When our Ceed was due for its first service I rang the 3 local dealers to compare prices. One was £50 less than the others and when questioned in detail he said they used Ford spec oil, if I wanted the correct Kia spec oil it would be another £50. The Kia spec is fully synthetic 5w30 C3 grade due to the DPF fitted, the Ford spec was semi synthetic 5w30 A1/B1 which is not suitable for DPF's. How many owners using this garage have had DPF issues and are blaming Kia.

If skidpan found himself in the ops situation Im sure he would just shrug his shoulders and say fair enough

I certainly would not simply accept it and would negotiate with both the seller (who is reponsible) and the manufacturer for as good a deal as possible. But there is a limit to how long you can spend arguing for no extra contributions, presumably the OP was reasonably happy when he accepted the offer.

However, when I buy a car I try to ensure the warranty is long enough to cover my expected ownership period, when I bought my Seat TSi I took out an additional 2 years manufacturers warranty to cover me to the end of the 5 years I intend to keep the car. No nasty surprises that way but I honestly do not expect any.

The OP has not said where the car was serviced and if it was bought new. These factors will have an effect on the contribution made.

The 1.8tsi is as I'm sure you know, a petrol engine and does not require fancy oil. Old fashioned vw502.00 spec is the minimum requirement and just about any modern oil will cover that.

Edited by brum on 12/05/2015 at 18:49

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - nortones2

VW504.00 for annual, VW507.00 for variable.

Wrong nortones, vw502.00 for annual, vw504.00 for variable. Vw507.00 is a diesel spec

I recommend the op read the very lengthy pinned thread in the Briskoda Octavia ii forum on 2.0tsi and 1.8tsi engine failures - over 1000 posts.

www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/266114-18tsi-and-20t.../

This guy eventually got 70% goodwill for the same failure as the op, others have probably got more.

www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/281301-18-tsi-engine.../

Edited by brum on 12/05/2015 at 19:24

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - nortones2

Hmm. Yes. As you were guys.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - mattrday

My course of action has been to contact the head of Skoda UK directly and inform him of the case. I have told them if they do act I will inform as many people as possible as to the problems i have experienced.

Since then Skoda Uk have upped their offer to 70% and the garage are going to add to that, they have not imnformed me how, as of yet.

I bought the car 6 months old from Allams, previously one of their management fleet vehicles.

The additional money they have offered since i upped the stakes is intself an admission of guilt on the part of the garage and the dealer.

They both try and brush you off a contribution, when in fact they should accept complete liability. It is not acceptable for an engine to be in this state after 40000 miles, look at BRISKODA.NET and i am not alone. As for the garage they should be ashamed. To offer sorry as a response their to cock up is a joke.

Skidpan, warranty or not, is it reasonable to expect your engine to pack up after 40000 miles? Skoda/VW to me meant reliability.

This isnt finished yet, i will keep you posted.

The car has been serviced exclusively by the skoda registered dealer where i purchased the car, allams of epsom

The dealer has stumped up an additional 500 pounds. So my contribution is down to 1000 pounds now.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - RobJP

I'm sure that, when your initial warranty period came to an end, you were offered to extend it by Skoda / dealer. If so, and you CHOSE not to do so, then you basically gambled that no problems would come up.

In your position, I'd take that latest offer, and be very grateful. Pushing further might lead to an improvement, but it also could go horribly wrong for you.

Oh, and the fact that a goodwill contribution has been offered / increased is NOT an admission of liability. So be very careful if attempting to treat it as such, as if you do then they could easily change their minds.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - slkfanboy

To be honest it's one of the better storys. VAG did own up to the issues with the timing chains and others have had issues too. They came up with good will and totally let down by a dealer lacks of care.

Sadly it's all to often the case they blame bad servicing or wrong driving as an excuse to to pay up.

Sadly it's all to often the case they blame bad servicing or wrong driving as an excuse to to pay up.

They cant blame bad servicing if it has full dealer history, as do most of these failures. They cant blame wrong driving, the majority of failutes are on unmodified cars. There are no specific instructions on how to drive a car, afaik.

The standard approach is to stonewall the customer, "first time we've seen that" or as in the op's case, "we dont know how that happenned"

And in most cases the dealers/vag get away with it as most customers havent a clue about engines, and so the number of cases is indeed much larger than the internet forums show.

Worryingly, a large number of customers just accept this happens, shell out mega money for a new engine and still buy vag when they change cars!!

Timing chains/tensioners are a big problem on all tsi models with them, vag have gone back to cambelts in the latest engines from around 2014 onwards.

The new sales model, pcp, that sees most cars changed after 3 years provides a nice excuse to blame previous owners.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - madf

Now I know why I decided to never ever buy another VAG group car .

HONESTY IS SADLY LACKING IN VAG DEALERS, driven by the reluctance of vag to accept responsibilty for their design and quality mistakes.

I've been a Vag captive customer for 35 years, only once briefly dipping my toes in a Vauxhall corsa (don't ask). Now I'm trying to deprogram myself and think Toyota, Kia, Hyundai or any other that offer long warranties as standard and stand by their products.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - madf

The behaiour listed above is in my view akin to fraud..

What behaviour is fraud?

Social media gives the customer a voice without having to go to the lawyers and stump up unrecoverable mega bucks. They use it to advertise, i use it to complain of poor treatment. Fair enough, no?

From my perspective the manufactutrer is only willing to accept liability if you shout loud enough. This is not correct. The key here is the engine failed, they cannot tell me why, yet they ask me to pay 2500. How can this restore or instill trust in their product.

They bat you of with a sorry until you pick up a loud speaker.

The 1500 has been paid today. I cant say im happy.

I have suffered a catastrophic engine failure on a 4 year old car, inconvenience, a troubled motorway journey because of poor dealer care, and its cost me a 1000 pounds. Great.

As mentioned above, you could have (should have?) been offered an extended warranty on the car as it came up to final weeks, presumably you thought (reasonably) that it wasn't worth it.

You bought a car with a three years from new warranty, that was your choice, you could have bought one of several makes with longer warranties if you wanted to...it would appear that this is a well known problem so maybe some pre purchase research would have been time well spent and you might have looked elsewhere, we'll all been there, but these days the info is out there for everyone to learn from.

You've had to contribute, what 20/ 25% of the retail cost of a new engine, but you've saved £X anyway by not buying the extended warranty which would have covered you if you'd bought it, you haven't done too badly after all by not bending over, well done.

Enjoy your car with its new engine.

Gordon, contract law is all about what is reasonable, irrespective of a warranty created by the seller. If we the customer created warranties they would look quite different to the dealers ones, correct? A warranty is not a statement of fairness it is the least the manufacturer can hope to get away with. One reason why i find the Kia warranty interesting, not sure exactly what is covered over the 7 years though.

Yes, i have had to contribute to a new engine but i didnt want one, nor did i expect to have to buy one. For this reason i am not happy.

I look at car warranties slightly differently.

To me they are a guide, rightly or wrongly, as to how much faith the maker puts in their product, shorter the term the less durable i expect the vehicle to prove..though i expect the replacement company and fleet car buyers means its a double edged sword, longer warranties from the usual suspects might mean fleets keep cars longer whilst costing the maker more in both cost and reputation as they disintegrate whilst still in first owner hands...could also see the end of idiotic 20k service intervals for obvious reasons.

This wasn't always the case of course and one must always bear in mind the historical durability of a marque from the day before longer warranties applied, and to not be too complacent about that either because things change, as do maker's attitudes to standing by their products and their customers.

Research is the key now to buying more than ever IMO, the relevent motoring media and magazines are no longer independent minded reliable relevant or indeed aimed at the private buyer in many cases...and i'm not saying this because we are discussing this on this site, but HJ takes some beating for first port of call when a car is considered, then make specific forums to get the nitty gritty if you are really serious.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/05/2015 at 21:35

How do you research a car that has an engine thats barely been one year in production?

I bought an new octavia in 2011, I asked the dealer about the extended warranty, the salesman insisted dont buy the warranty, they never sell them anyway and are not value for money. I've spent the last 2 years arguing about the camchain rattle on start up while its still in warranty. They ignored me until the last month of the warranty when I insisted they do something about it. They then pulled out a new tpi which now requires a tech to measure how far the tensioner is extended, iirc mine measured 41mm, ONE MM below the limit the tpi said would be accepted as a warranty replacement. Warranty claim rejected.

Great service Skoda, oh and by the way could you direct me to the nearest KIA dealer?

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - alan1302

They then pulled out a new tpi which now requires a tech to measure how far the tensioner is extended, iirc mine measured 41mm, ONE MM below the limit the tpi said would be accepted as a warranty replacement. Warranty claim rejected.

Apologies if I am missing something but it was in the allowed tollerences but you are complainig they won't do anything about it?

How do you research a car that has an engine thats barely been one year in production?

Simple. Don't buy one.

My aim is to NEVER be the first to buy anything new. Let others find the problems and let the maker -of whatever it is - sort it out.

I am sorry but have little synpathy if you buy an unporoven product from a maker whose attitude to quality and customer care sucks.

(I bought a Panasonic hoover in 2001 ? 2002 which was junk and fell apart after 15 months. They gave me a complete refund of all my money with no hassle despite it being out of the 12 month warranty. That's the way it should be)

Edited by madf on 15/05/2015 at 14:05

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - focussed

I am in the market for a new Skoda vRS estate and am favouring the TSI petrol version. I am assuming that the latest post- 2013 model year 2.0 litre has a belt cam motor as opposed to the previous troublesome chain cam unit? Can any one confirm? I have tried finding Avant's excellent recent review of his new Skoda but without success.

On the subject of cam chains-just about every motorcycle manufacturer you can name has had problems with camchains and tensioners requiring recalls etc. Honda even had to re-engineer the VF 750 from chains to gear drive to get reliability.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - TedCrilly

I wouldnt assume that any manufacture who offeres a long warranty with a new car has greater confidence in their product than one that doesnt.

I would however assume though that the manufacturer concerned is prepared to divert more of the bottom line price into the warranty budget to cover warranty costs and rely on the appeal of an extended warranty to increase sales and offset those warranty costs.

Say every 20th car sold is used to cover warranty costs on the previous 19. You sell 1000, you make money on 950 of them. You sell 2000 you make money on 1900 of them.

Its all about increasing sales, nothing to do with quality, faith, reliabilty, engineering excellence etc and if the volume `european` manufacturers were as desperate to increase sales figures as the far east they would do exactly the same.

Its all about increasing sales, nothing to do with quality, faith, reliabilty, engineering excellence etc and if the volume `european` manufacturers were as desperate to increase sales figures as the far east they would do exactly the same.

IF VW were to offer teh same warrnty and service as Toyota or Hyundai or HHonda, it would cost more - a LOT more in the short term as they would have to revamp their production systems and their dealer network.

In the long term, it would no doubt help sales. Think 5 years plus.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - TedCrilly

I think it would take some careful comparison and maths, based on figures such as number of warranty claims, average cost of claim, production and sales figures and profit per unit before before making such claims.

VAG are the largest manufacturer in Europe and in terms of volume the third largest in the world...........they must be doing something right???

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - CK91437

Here, here.

Was tempted to buy an Audi, but someone I know had all sorts of issues with their automatic gearbox. So I won't be buying anything from VAG.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - Engineer Andy

Here, here.

Was tempted to buy an Audi, but someone I know had all sorts of issues with their automatic gearbox. So I won't be buying anything from VAG.

You do realise the main discussion of this thread ended 2.5 years ago? You also seem to have a 'bee in your bonnet' about dual clutch gearboxes, from any make. Whilst the relative poor reliability (compared to 'traditional' TC auto boxes and some make's CVTs) of the dry clutch DSG and Powershift gear boxes is known, its not as though all are failing.

You need to keep a sense of proportion - just knowing of a friend or relative that had problems doesn't mean you would: a new one may be a 'wet clutch' version which is more reliable, and often people use dual clutch auto boxes (as members here have described on other threads recently that you've participated in) in the wrong way, such as creeping forward at low speed, or holding the car using the box on a hill, etc.

Twin clutch gearboxes were primarily designed for performance and increased mpg (as seen in F1 on TV), and have been known for a while now not to be as robust in general as TC auto boxes and manual ones, which is a very mature technology, with variances in reliability from make to make. It may be that manufacturers go a different route in the future (electric cars may be the norm, or may be not) for auto transmissions, but they will get better in terms of reliability and usage, perhaps not enough for everyone.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - argybargy

Here, here.

You do realise the main discussion of this thread ended 2.5 years ago? You also seem to have a 'bee in your bonnet' about dual clutch gearboxes, from any make. Whilst the relative poor reliability (compared to 'traditional' TC auto boxes and some make's CVTs) of the dry clutch DSG and Powershift gear boxes is known, its not as though all are failing.

You need to keep a sense of proportion - just knowing of a friend or relative that had problems doesn't mean you would: a new one may be a 'wet clutch' version which is more reliable, and often people use dual clutch auto boxes (as members here have described on other threads recently that you've participated in) in the wrong way, such as creeping forward at low speed, or holding the car using the box on a hill, etc.

Twin clutch gearboxes were primarily designed for performance and increased mpg (as seen in F1 on TV), and have been known for a while now not to be as robust in general as TC auto boxes and manual ones, which is a very mature technology, with variances in reliability from make to make. It may be that manufacturers go a different route in the future (electric cars may be the norm, or may be not) for auto transmissions, but they will get better in terms of reliability and usage, perhaps not enough for everyone.

You're absolutely right, Andy. They are not all failing by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, the notorious vibration with Powershift can easily be imagined and regarded as evidence of clutch failure when it is nothing of the sort, as I know all too well. Driving up the steep hill to my house the car changes down too soon on occasion and when I kick down and increase the revs, it can and occasionally does result in some vibration. This is an entirely different matter to the far more serious vibration which the car originally exhibited before the clutch was changed, and which has caused many owners, myself included, to approach Ford dealers for restitution under warranty.

There are legions of Powershift owners complaining in online forums about their cars, but still bigger legions who are not. The "twin dry clutch" thing does seem to have become a bit of a hobby horse for some people.

and often people use dual clutch auto boxes (as members here have described on other threads recently that you've participated in) in the wrong way, such as creeping forward at low speed, or holding the car using the box on a hill, etc.

"such as creeping forward at low speed"

Never really understood what this means. If you are (i assume) in 1st gear and going forward without your foot on the gas pedal, then that should be fine, I assume.

"creep ing forward" Does it mean that you are using the brakes (whilst in 1st gear & moving forward) to reduce the speed of the car?

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - Avant

Focussed - I've made comments about my Octavia vRS estate but I don't think I've done a proper review. On holiday in Scotland at the moment (looking out on to Loch Lomond as I type!), where it's just gone over 30,000 miles, so it's time I did a report. Will do after we return home on Friday.

But so far so good.

I wonder if upping the warranty to 5 years would increase VW group car sales in the UK, they seem to able to flog us anything so long as it's got one of their badges on it no matter what warranty or aftercare might be offered, so why bother upping the warranty at all.

Then how many private buyers buy new VW group cars in these segments (forgetting the smaller cars), i suspect a small proportion in relation to the total sales/leases into UK to fleets, if they had 5 years warranty would the fleets keep them that long?, if they did it would hit sales badly, nearly half.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - bazza

Their brand image is incredibly strong in the UK. And whatever level too, whether it Audi premium or Skoda/Seat poverty spec. VAG seem have the ability to "manage" adverse publicity better than their competitors. None of the recent debacles made it to national news, e.g. Teves ESP problems, PD injector failures, High pressure fuel pump failures, DSG nightmares. There's enough information on the net for potential buyers to be fore-warned but the brand is strong enough to brush it all off. And the mags help all this too---when did a German car last get panned in a weekly/monthly rag?

Their brand image is incredibly strong in the UK. And whatever level too, whether it Audi premium or Skoda/Seat poverty spec. VAG seem have the ability to "manage" adverse publicity better than their competitors. None of the recent debacles made it to national news, e.g. Teves ESP problems, PD injector failures, High pressure fuel pump failures, DSG nightmares. There's enough information on the net for potential buyers to be fore-warned but the brand is strong enough to brush it all off. And the mags help all this too---when did a German car last get panned in a weekly/monthly rag?

Exactly.. Strangely, they also advertise a lot in the same magazines.

It's not as if the reviewers could be influenced? heaven forbid.

I thought of a used Tiguan. The rveiews were fine. Owners seemed to have lots of issues..

I read the Audi A1 reviews. Then sat in one as a passnger.. It was a 1.4TDI - noisy and bumpy suspension on our poor roads..The reviewers never mentioned it or played it down.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - focussed

Focussed - I've made comments about my Octavia vRS estate but I don't think I've done a proper review. On holiday in Scotland at the moment (looking out on to Loch Lomond as I type!), where it's just gone over 30,000 miles, so it's time I did a report. Will do after we return home on Friday.

But so far so good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply whilst on your holiday - looking forward to your thoughts on the subject.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - David and Drak

Well... I've just got back from the Skoda garage with the print out of engine fault codes... Last week they decided that since my 1.8 TSI engine was misfiring on all four cylinders, they'd replace the coil packs and sparkplugs and send me on my way. I drove off the forecourt and the misfire was still there! I went back, and they said, ooh it might be a slipping clutch. Since I was planning to sell the car in a couple of weeks, I thought I'd live with the occasional slip.

But it didn't feel like a slipping clutch to me... I should have gone with my insticts... a couple of days later amber engine warning light caused by a cam position failure. The engine still runs, but presumably has slipped a tooth. It's an 09 plate Octavia... 7 years old, 70k miles, bought from skoda approved and maintained by the main dealer for its entire life. Skoda just customer 'care' just said bad luck sucker. I'm furious.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - RobJP

'09' is 8 years old, not 7. I doubt many manufacturers would give any 'goodwill' contribution on a car of such an age.

And, from how I read it, you are 'presuming' it's slipped a tooth. Unless you actually know that is the cause, then anything else is pure speculation. It might be an engine sensor that has failed.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - bazza

Hmmm I think you're overly ambitious on dealer expectation here, to be fair. As Rob says it's a 9 year old car, that's getting on a bit in terms of goodwill obligations. As comparison, I've just sold a 1.9 tdi Octavia with gearbox/diff problems, a year older but there's no way on earth I'd expect a dealer goodwill contribution. Cars are mechanical/electrical items that are subject to hard use and they will go wrong, unfortunately! But If the coil pack fix has not sorted the misfire, go back to the dealer and I'm sure they'll look further and come to an agreeable cost resolution.

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - Matt Adamson-Drage
My Octavia Scout 1.8tsi is currently requiring a new engine due to excessive oil consumption and cylinder bore polishing. She's an 11 plate with 65000miles with full Skoda service history. They have offered 70% goodwill straight off the bat (I smell a rat) leaving me with a £1865 bill for a new engine. I'm arguing with the dealer and Skoda hq for a free engine replacement. Do we really expect engines these days to fail this soon! It's just not acceptable. Never buying VAG again and will tell everyone I can the same.

Edited by Matt Adamson-Drage on 06/12/2017 at 22:04

Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance - skoda engine failure & appalling customer service - Avant

I think for a car that's over six years old, 70% is not too bad. I'm not defending Skoda but remember that most cars of this age have had at least two owners, any of whom may have driven the car with a lack of 'car sympathy' (there are lots of ways of doing that, revving the nuts off it being only one).

I'm not suggesting for a moment that you yourself have done that, but have you had the car from new? But you can understand that manufacturers can't go on making unlimited goodwill payments: some wouldn't have given you the 70%. You'd have been lucky to get anything at all out of Ford, for example, from what people have said on this forum.

Interestingly, you've done better in one way than the original poster on this thread (4 years, 40,000 miles, 50% goodwill payment): on the other hand your new engine seems a lot more expensive than his (if £1,865 is 30%, total cost is £6,217), only two years later.

Edited by Avant on 07/12/2017 at 00:29