Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - Marvi

Hello all,

I have a 1999 vw Golf gti 8v,

I believe I have a head gasket gone but before I get my spanners out I thought I would check to see if others think the same.

The symptoms I have are that it uses water, when I remove the oil filler cap it has a cream oil on it, failed mot on emissions, and occasionally on acceleration it splutters a little. Alot of Steam from exhaust when first started when cold.

been like this for over a year but only covered a couple of thousand miles since last mot, has not over heated and seems to run at normal temperature's.

any thing I can check while at home to see if its a gasket.

if it is and U need to change it, anyone know of a guide I can print off, I have changed a head gasket on a bmw 320 many years ago so not a complete beginner.

many thanks in advance for help.

Edited by Marvi on 08/05/2015 at 19:49

Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - elekie&a/c doctor

I would check the heat exchanger fitted to the oil filter housing.

Thanks for reply, will have a look.

Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - focussed

I would check the heat exchanger fitted to the oil filter housing.

Surely this fault would put oil into the coolant, oil pressure being higher than coolant pressure etc?

thanks, now it stopped raining will take a look at this.

Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - RobJP

If you run a car for 2k miles in a year, it's entirely possible to get 'mayo' in the oil - it's caused by condensation, as the engine isn't getting hot. Same for low mileage and a loss of coolant : a very minor leak that only happens when the hoses are warm. The spluttering on acceleration could be one of a load of problems.

So none of those symptoms, when taken with the low annual mileage, really point to head gasket failure - though it is possible.

I'd suggest (as a first step) changing oil/filter and coolant, taking it for a decent drive, and seeing how things look. Then getting it into a garage for a sniff test.

Thanks For the reply, will look in to the Sniff test/

Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - Peter.N.

If the head gasket is failing you should have a lot of pressure in the cooling system and be using a fair amount of water, if not it probably isn't. I would agree that if it doesn't do many miles you have condensation in the engine.

Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - ggh1

As elekie&acdoctor has already said, it is very common for the oil/water heat exchanger (situated at the top of the oil filter) to leak internaly. That is where I would look first.

will defiantly take a look at this, would this cause it to fail the emission test for a m.o.t? Was told it was very high reading.

Volkswagen Golf GTI - Head gasket or not? - ggh1

Remove engine breather black plastic pipe that runs from the front of the engine block to the top of the camshalf cover. Wash out the mayo blocking the pipe with water, replace pipe. Warning, this pipe gets very fragile with age, so make sure you can get a spare.