Zafira - clocking problem - snoop

Hi Guys

Have put a deposit down on a 61 plate zafira with 58000 miles on the clock (diesel)

The car is ex mobility. The sales man has shown to me all the previous services statements and proof of the ownership (motability).

Did a HPI check and it has come back with one odd reading supplied by BVRLA, the govening body of leasein companies.

The first recording is 17012 in Oct 2012

the next says Sep 2013 66860

Feb 2014 40351

April 2014 43406

Jun 2014 47585

aug 2015 52345

May 2015 58858

as you can see they are all pretty consistent apart from the 2nd entry. I have spoken to the dealers and he asures me he has a HPI read out showing the second as 34445 and that his reading have come from the DVLA and past service sechedules perform by Vauxhall.

So i m not sure why there are so many milage readings over just a few months inbetween, unless thats a requirement for motability cars. The dealer has "sworn" on his life its a genuine error as he documents that dispute it....So what do you think? I tend to believe him...I think its a genuine error and he is prepared to write me a letter stating so in order for the BVRLA to correct thier documentation

Zafira - clocking problem - RobJP

Are 61 plate Zafiras that rare ?

I've always had a rule when buying cars. If not absolutely perfect, walk away. There will be another one round the corner (metaphorically speaking).

Unless the price is considerably lower than other comparable cars, then I'd not touch it.

But you've already put a deposit down. Is it refundable ?

Zafira - clocking problem - snoop

Non refundable. The dealer has now shown me all the services. The short months are for daft things like bulb gone in head light. Next month indicator bulb. Each time it comes in it is recorded.Under motobility you can take it back for anything, its all part of the deal.

He has also shown me the milage that is in dispute, its the same apart from being 34 not 66. He has said he will be willing to write a letter to confirm the milage as an error, and he says there is too much evidence to show its just an error,so that it can be corrected with the the company

He also said that the documentation from vauxhall and motobility both show ideniticel milage and if is was "clocked" it would have been notice, but the 2nd figure only shows as 34, thou.

Also it has had one one owner since new, motobility. He has offered to get in touch with th previous owner to confirm

To be honest i cant really ask for more. Im convinced, or covinced myself its genuine and its just a mistake.

Beside at the end of the day even if it has been clocked, it would only increase the over all milage by 20 thou, and considering vechicle with the higher milage are about the same price i paid its still not to bad

Edited by snoop on 07/05/2015 at 22:01

Zafira - clocking problem - Ballyclover
Thought I would up date this thread. So motobility confirmed the correct mileage to me. The service book which has been stamped also confirms the mileage for the period of time. So it was an error. The garage who reported the mileage has been asked to confirm and request a change....so HPI is not always correct but it did spot the problem...worth doing....??
Zafira - clocking problem - Taliesin

If mileage anomolies can be proven with documented evidence that can be verified, HPI will often remove incorrect records. They would need to be contacted and same applied to Experian and CDL also.