Lost control on roundabout - Leif

Driving to work this morning, going round a roundabout, perhaps 30 mph, turned left to exit and completely lost control of the car which did a 360 degree spin, coming to a halt on the grass verge. Quite how I did not hit another vehicle or a lamppost I do not know. Anyway, the car is fine, albeit covered in grass clippings. I rang the local police, and they will check the road surface for oil etc.

Any suggestions? The tyres are Khumo 7's, all new 1 month ago. I was driving as per usual. Could this be an issue with the car steering? Or the tyres? (Fakes maybe? There are three deep grooves running round the tyres, and side 'slots' which looks rather shallow.) A colleague mentioned leaves on the road caused him to do the same once. I will watch my dashcam video when I can to check my driving, and see anything obvious on the road.

Lost control on roundabout - Brit_in_Germany

Possibly diesel, possibly the new tyres have not yet scrubbed in or a combination of both. RWD car?

FWD

I examined the video, and my driving looks fine. As soon as I turned the steering wheel, ready to exit, I lost control. I wondered about loss of steering, but from the video it is clear that the rear wheels have completely lost traction, and the car spins.

Lost control on roundabout - gordonbennet

You can usually see oil/fuel on the road (i watch for it constantly especially in the wet), enough to make you spin out i reckon you would be able to smell when you stopped.

Glad you got away with just a fright whatever caused it.

If twer me i'd find somewhere quiet and safe in similar conditions of damp (or not) and provoke something into happening, if you did reach the limits of adhesion of the tyres its better you find out now and do whatever you think best if that's the case.

I've removed tyres in very short order and flogged them on once i found them to be not up to my idea of competent, than includes the brand new Pirellis on a Hilux and the Federals i disappointingly experimented with on my MB.

Yes, no sign of contaminants on the road surface. It is either the tyres or the road surface. I agree about testing the tyres. I later twice did an emergency stop, when safe, and found no issues. I am not sure where I can try some enthusiastic cornering safely.

These tyres do feel a bit bouncy. I am quite happy to throw away almost new tyres if they are suspect.

Lost control on roundabout - slkfanboy

It worth just check sidewide grip as this differs from a straignt line grip. I am guessing that there must have been some diesel or petrol on the road. Petrol vapourises and mixed with the rain can make road very slippery.

I suggest this because my dad the same thing happen years ago. It was not until the car was recalled due to incorrectly fitting fuel caps did we realise what had happened.

It maybe also worth just check you have no leaks fuel or oil too.

Lost control on roundabout - Andrew-T

I presume this happened on your regular commute, so it seems likely to be due to a spill of some sort. A few months ago something very similar happened to me on a reverse curve which I have driven many times before. I put it down to (a) a light shower after a long dry spell, (b) possible spill of fuel or chainsaw oil because of (c) recent felling work during roadworks. No new or recent tyres. The whole thing felt rather like driving on packed snow - not a pleasant experience.

Roundabouts are quite lilely to suffer fuel spills, for obvious reasons. Is there a filling station nearby?

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/05/2015 at 11:32

Lost control on roundabout - oldroverboy.

Did it once in the lotus eclat a long time ago. quite exicting. Brother in law went grey!

Thanks all. It's booked in for a brake fluid change this Saturday and they will give it a check.

Lost control on roundabout - skidpan

Any suggestions? The tyres are Khumo 7's, all new 1 month ago.

Tyres can take quite some miles before the surface is scrubbed and the mould releasing fluid fully cleaned off. Until that happens you have much less grip than you would realise. When I raced all the experienced drivers used to get new road tyres "buffed" before using them in anger, made an unbelievable difference (providing the right people did it). But to newcommers (including myself when I first started) it appeared rediculous to spend good money having a couple of mm of tread removed.

Edited by skidpan on 05/05/2015 at 18:32

I have done at least 1,000 miles on them.

Here is a poor video clip:

youtu.be/cinw90htgYI

The original is much clearer.

Well i can't see anything on the road that could have provoked it and your driving looked smooth enough to me, no sudden acceleration or threepenny bit steering inputs.

Have you checked the pressures, make sure some clot hasn't shoved 'em up to full high speed full load settings.

It was several sudden unprovoked broadsides like that in my MB (fortunately RWD so fairly easily recovered) on the Federals i tried that saw them removed as soon as the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's arrived couple of days later, first and last time i try budgets.

Thanks, I thought the driving wasn't too bad, but you never know. They are budget tyres. Good point about the tyres, the car was serviced after I checked the pressures, you never know, the service might have over inflated them.

I must admit since getting these new tyres the car has felt oddly bouncy at times, and not entirely kosher on corners. And oddly noisy since they are supposed to be very quiet. Makes me wonder how they measure these things.

Lost control on roundabout - Happy Blue!

How very strange! As GB says, the driving looks smooth, clearly not overly fast compared to other traffic so nothing obvious to cause it other than something on the road, a problem with the tyres (could be over inflation or just bad tyres), or an unintentional jab on the gas. Somehow that last option seems the most unlikely.

Lost control on roundabout - madf

Thanks, I thought the driving wasn't too bad, but you never know. They are budget tyres. Good point about the tyres, the car was serviced after I checked the pressures, you never know, the service might have over inflated them.

I must admit since getting these new tyres the car has felt oddly bouncy at times, and not entirely kosher on corners. And oddly noisy since they are supposed to be very quiet. Makes me wonder how they measure these things.

Check rear shock absorners for wear/fluid leak - bounce test..

All you need is one shock absorber to fail and you may skid ...

Thanks madf, will do.

Front pressures 30 and 34, recommended 29.

Back pressures 30 and 30, recommended 26.

Oh, and now all down to the recommended unloaded values!

Lost control on roundabout - S40 Man

Looked like lift off oversteer to me just after black car in front pulls out, you lift off a bit, weight transfers to front wheels and rears lose weight and grip. This would be exacerbated by lower grip duecti dodgy tyres or greasy surface.

Lost control on roundabout - daveyjp

A combination of road surface conditions and speed. For most of April there was very little rain so the road surface will be contaminated with diesel, oil, petrol, sap from the adjacent trees.

From the video it is drizzling - evidence of cars with wipers on. With slight rainfall the contaminants produce a very slippery surface. Very similar to the old police training skidpans which were oil soaked and sprayed with water.

Lost control on roundabout - the_bandit

As mentioned earlier, lift-off oversteer.

Edited by the_bandit on 06/05/2015 at 12:49

Lift off oversteer at approx 32mph on a huge roundabout in a modern car driven smoothly?

I would expect any car made after 1980 to be capable of full on braking at that point in the roundabout without breaking traction, let alone having to panic about lifting off because you've just deviated from the straight.

Lost control on roundabout - Wackyracer

I saw this video and thought of this thread - www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIEz_YjVIc

What an obnoxious character. However, thanks for the link, the basic message is that the handling was poor. I am convinced the handling of my car is not right. Simple braking is fine, but cornering is odd sometimes. Since a tyre is a mix of steel and rubber, it makes sense that cornering should depend on the design.
Lost control on roundabout - Wackyracer

what tyres did you have fitted before?

Originally it had Hankook Ecos, seemed good. Then some Continental energy savers on the front, okay, not so quiet.

The car went in for a brake fluid change, and a check, they want to get work, but found nothing. So I assume it is okay.

I am wondering whether to ditch these tyres soon, or ditch all when the fronts are replaced.
Lost control on roundabout - Wukl

I had a similarly unexpected incident a few years ago, fortunately though I didn't rotate after I remembered my Touring Car training (!) and booted it to get it straight again. This was the same car (not very old, probably about three yers old at the time) that also developed a strange motion on high speed corners - hard to describe, but a sort of floaty squirming motion - which turned out not to be tracking, toe, camber, shocks or any of the ususal suspects but a broken spring.

Lost control on roundabout - dacouch

Excellent dash cam.

It's like watching a car driving video game!

Lost control on roundabout - hillman

Have you thought of rubber on the road surface ? After a dry spell, and it doesn't have to be a long one in the case of a roundabout, the road gets covered with a fine film of rubber. The first rain leaves it very slippery. I've had a few frights like that.

Daveyjp mentioned something similar earlier. No doubt it is possible, but I have no evidence either way. I still think these tyres are not quite right though, even if they were not the cause.
Lost control on roundabout - SteveLee

IMHO lift-off oversteer caused by over inflated tyres and slippery conditions. Over inflated tyres will stay stone cold in those conditions.

Lost control on roundabout - slkfanboy

>IMHO lift-off oversteer caused by over inflated tyres and slippery conditions. Over >inflated tyres will stay stone cold in those conditions.

Exactly what i was think when i commented earlier. The OP suggests this is his normal style of driving, which for me is quite worrying

Recommend changing the driving style so that he is braking on entry to the roundabout and then use steady power to go around would be far safe, with smoother turning of the steering wheel.

>IMHO lift-off oversteer caused by over inflated tyres and slippery conditions. Over >inflated tyres will stay stone cold in those conditions.

Exactly what i was think when i commented earlier. The OP suggests this is his normal style of driving, which for me is quite worrying

Recommend changing the driving style so that he is braking on entry to the roundabout and then use steady power to go around would be far safe, with smoother turning of the steering wheel.

The tyres were checked after the first skid and found to be a few PSI over the recommended values (VW give values for light and heavy loads). They were adjusted according to the VW figures.

The steering looks pretty smooth to me, and some others have said the same. In the first video I brake on approach then accelerate on entry. In the second I am going pretty slowly, with very good visability, and follow the cars in front. The only comment on steering is that I deliberately did not take the direct line on exit, but was going to carry on a little bit then turn, to feel for any wobble through the wheels, which I have noticed before.

I think your posts are obnoxious and not constructive.