Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - Strawberry
We are in need of a new car, I've always fancied a Golf and have been looking at the Mk 6 1.4 TSI 122 Match 5 door. However someone mentioned the Leon. I don't like the previous Leon but the new Leon I do like the look of. I might be able to get a 1.4 13 plate Leon for similar money to a 11 or 12 plate golf.
We will probably go for a PCP finance deal (never bought a car on finance before but currently don't have a lump sum in the bank and PCP looks favourable to a personal loan.
Question is which car??????
Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - Trilogy

Have you driven either of them. If not, do so to find out which one you prefer.

Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - Strawberry
No not yet but I wanted to know if people who have had them love or hate them?
Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - skidpan

I looked at the Golf 6 when it was introduced. The interior to me was way below the expected VW quality and the overall design did not impress me. Very surpised since I had owned 3 Golfs in the past and been very happy. Walked away.

Move on about 6 years. Golf 7 just out, had a look, definitely an improvement. But then I looked at the Mk 3 Leon. Very impressed with both the design, spec, trim and especially the drive (140 PS SE TSi), bought one a few days later. 2 years on I am still more than happy, nothing fallen off, no faults at all.

Best bit was the saving I made. A Golf with similar trim and engine would have cost me £5000 more to buy.

I say Leon every time but drive both and make your own mind up. Compared to the Golf 6 the Leon 3 is light years ahead.

Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - slkfanboy

IF you have a desire to purchaase one of the VW varients the Golf/Lean/Skoda are all based of the same parts and basically it down to which one you like best. For some odd reason the Skoda is statistically more reliable.

Personally a 3 yr old Focus 1.6 Zetec is on pair and notable cheaper than a golf also having good reliabilty.

I am no impress with Kia/Hyundai as second hand options.

On the finance front, it's a good option if you want a new car every 3 yrs and do average to low miles per year.

Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - skidpan

IF you have a desire to purchaase one of the VW varients the Golf/Lean/Skoda are all based of the same parts and basically it down to which one you like best.

They are indeed based on the same parts but the Golf Mk 6 the OP is considering is from the previous generation wheras the Leon Mk 3 is based on the brand new VAG MQB platform which is very different. The Golf Mk 7 is based on the new MQB platform but will be way more expensive than a Mk 6 Golf.

Personally a 3 yr old Focus 1.6 Zetec is on pair and notable cheaper than a golf also having good reliabilty.

We also looked at and drove the Focus when we bought the Seat but IMHO the Seat is a much better car. The 1.4 TSi engine is an absolute cracker giving tremendous performance and almost diesel economy. Over 13000 mile ours has averaged 45 mpg.

I am no impress with Kia/Hyundai as second hand options

Not sure what the above actually means but we also have a Kia Ceed which is a very good car but it falls a long way behind the Seat for comfort and refinement. The 1.6 petrol engine is very poor needing a lot of revs to get decent performance and as a result the economy in the real world suffers.

Volkswagen Golf mk 6 vs Seat Leon mk 3 - Engineer Andy

What I don't understand is that (see HJ's Car-by-Car reviews for both) the 'What to watch out for' for the Golf mk7 has sooo many more entries than the very similar Leon (same platform). Admitedly there's more Golfs around, but it looks like its had a whole raft of problems.

Shame really, as I quite like the 3-door Golf (better looking IMO than the 5 door) as well as its cousin from Seat (both the 3 and 5 door versions are good looking, though, like the Golf, I prefer the 3 door SC model), and the Golf's interior is better. I'd also be looking at the 1.4 TSi, maybe even the ACT version for that extra bit of vrrm without (hopefully!) the mpg penalty.

Unless they fix these issues, I'm just not going to consider them when looking for my next car (still Japanese and probably Mazda again) - a shame really, as the 3-door Golf and Leon fit the bill as regards size (I'm looking for something a bit smaller than my current Mazda3 mk1, but perhaps a bit more boot space than the new Mazda2), looks and drive.

Best of luck with whatever you choose, and let us know how you get on with the new car.