What's "reasonable"? - MrBrown

I am planning to claim damages from a car dealer for breach of contract. I'm trying to understand what would be reasonable in making the claim, as I'm first going to give the dealer the opportunity to compensate me, then I will proceed to court.

I put a deposit on the vehicle over the phone. I had to drive 100 miles and 2.5 hours to get to the dealer. My decision was based upon all of the information that had been given to me over the phone, and on the website - in terms of adverts etc (I have paper and electronic copies of all of them).

Due to a number of mistakes by the dealer on the day, I did not get to see the vehicle before all of the paperwork had been completed. They are a small chain of garages each with a different manufacturer franchise - so not a back street setup.

By the time they handed the vehicle over, it was just before closing time and all of the paperwork had been completed. This included paying the money and signing over my traded in car.

I then found that the mileage on the vehicle was 60K and not 50K as advertised, and 50K was written on ALL of the paperwork - invoice / HPI check etc all showed 50,000. One of the screwups on the day was the MoT had not been done - this shows that the mileage was 60,7xx on that day.

I have asked the question to HJ what would be reasonable, but the response was that 60,000 is 120% of 50,000 and so I should be looking to recover 20% of the purchase price of £14,000. That amounts to £2800.

The problem is that a vehicle with 50K miles and 60K miles of the same age would not be nearly £3000 different, and lodging a claim or seeking compensation of that amount is (I think) likely to look like a claim with dubious merit.

I may be missing something here, but the breach of contract is not specifically about the mileage, but about putting me in a position I would have been without the dealship screwup. The TRUTH is that I wouldn't have bought the vehicle with 60K miles on it - our trade-in had 48K miles on, and so I limited my search to vehicles with no more than 50K miles on.

When I wrote to the dealer about it, they offered to refund the vehicle minus 31p/mile I had covered. That was their ONLY offer. They said I "should have checked the mileage myself, you have accepted the vehicle".

Now 10K miles at 31p/mile is £3,100 which is also a bit steep - though if I had covered that, that's what they would have expected me to pay to return it. If wishing to return a vehicle bought from them via distance selling (internet), their terms actually say that above 10 miles - useage will be charged at 10% of the vehicle price per 100miles!!!!

It's difficult to calculate, but I suppose I have also lost the ability to sell my traded-in car, as I only got 'trade value' for it, which was probably £2K below the private sale price - they gave me £8800 for the trade-in.

So any ideas on how I should calculate my losses? I have the inclination to go all the way to legal action, but I might as well do it without an ill-considered claim!

Thanks.

Edited by MrBrown on 19/04/2015 at 14:30

What's "reasonable"? - RobJP

To start with, you will find that, as anywhere, the garage will have 'errors and omissions excluded' on their website. If the mileage on the car was that critical to you, then you should have insisted on seeing it before completing the deal, and when you got into the car after completing the deal, you should have immediately stopped the handover process. If need be, cancelling the deal in full if you could not obtain an appropriate discount.

By your logic in pricing, if the car had 100% greater mileage (so 100k rather than 50k), then you would expect it to be given away, as it would have no value whatsoever. That is plainly absurd. If the car had half the mileage (25k rather than 50k), would you really expect it to be double the price ? Again, an absurdity.

You will find that CAP, etc do mileage charts, showing what they expect a difference from 'average' mileage will give.

For example, if a 5 year old car is expected to have 60k miles, then the book will give alterations for cases where the mileage is 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k (all + to price), and 70k, 80k, 90k, etc (all - to price).

Depending on the car, the figure could be anywhere from £200 up to £2000 for the 10k mile difference, but do be aware that the upper figure would be for a VERY expensive car.

In short, you need to show what you REAL losses are, not some guesswork figure. Once you have that, you can write to them, and you may find that a REASONABLE request gets looked at, rather than laughed at and ignored.

If you read and managed to comprehend, you would see the 100% greater mileage and - as you say - other absurdities are terms imposed by the dealer - they are not my statements or logic!

Thanks for taking the time to read (and comprehend) some of it though.

If you understand consumer law, you would know that the dealer cannot make statements which have get-out clauses. If they state in any literature or verbally a specification or attribute of the vehicle, it must be true.

Edited by MrBrown on 19/04/2015 at 15:49

What's "reasonable"? - TedCrilly

Another salutary reason NOT to buy sight unseen and to take your time during the buying process!

If you tell us the make/model/year somone will have access to and be quote the trade values against mileages and you can go from there. Any realistic claim for redress can only be based on those figures unless you have got something that proves the dealer set out to deliberately mislead.

I wouldnt expect anything for the distance you travelled and the time you spent getting there though.......you made that decision.

I suppose posting here was a mistake in that people are all too smug in telling you what you should have done. You may very well be right, but that's only a lesson I can learn for next time, it doesn't help me here.

I relied on the integrity of a manufacturer backed franchise. I didn't buy it with cash from a geeza down the pub on the understanding that he'd send me the V5.

Believe me in that a lesson has already been learned. However, a breach of contract is a breach of contract. But at least you clearly took the time to read what I had written :)

I suppose posting here was a mistake in that people are all too smug in telling you what you should have done. You may very well be right, but that's only a lesson I can learn for next time, it doesn't help me here.

I relied on the integrity of a manufacturer backed franchise. I didn't buy it with cash from a geeza down the pub on the understanding that he'd send me the V5.

Believe me in that a lesson has already been learned. However, a breach of contract is a breach of contract. But at least you clearly took the time to read what I had written :)

That is an incredibly arrogant stance. Basically, you are saying "I don't like what you have to say, so I'm going to ignore it".

Similar to a child sticking their fingers in their ears, and shouting "NA, NA, NA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU".

Just because you don't like what people have to say doesn't mean they are wrong, and you are right. But you seem to have wanted people to confirm you were treated meanly by the big bad dealer, and when they don't, you attack them.

Mature approach.

Nope. Completely wrong.

I asked, and only asked, what would be a way to calculate a reasonable amount. How is it possibly helpful when people say "you should have done this/ you should have done that".

And remember, you made a comment attributing something to me, when in fact it was the dealer. Don't be bitter because I rubbished your reply.

I also told you EXACTLY how to calculate the amount. Or did you not see that bit of the post ?

What's "reasonable"? - scot22

I wonder why people put something on a public forum and then react unpleasantly if they don't get the exact replies they expect.

In my reading you have had a way suggested to you. Also pointed out what might be said in the dealers defence to your claim.

It is usually helpful to have others point out their perspective on the issue. Apparently you only want posted, what you want posted.

...and so did I.

What's "reasonable"? - FP

'How is it possibly helpful when people say "you should have done this/ you should have done that".'

I think the point is that, as you did not do things right (in the view of the posters concerned) in the beginning, your position right now is seriously weakened.

Maybe it wasn't tactfully put, but you are in a difficult situation and no doubt feeling less than happy - but don't expect to get a lot of sympathy when the problem has been compounded by yourself.

You say you wouldn't have bought the car with 60k miles on it if you'd known, but 50k was OK. With respect, I find this difficult to swallow and a court might also. And if the mileage was as crucial as you say, I don't understand why you didn't check when you saw the car and I wonder if a court might think that way also. You may be entitled to some consideration for the mis-description, however, but as you say, for some cars the sum could be minimal.

I don't know how long it has taken you to cover 10K miles, but that looks like a significant delay in taking action if the issue is as crucial as you say. It begins to look as if you were prepared to accept the car as it was presented to you and now there's some kind of buyer's remorse.

I really don't think people are trying to be unpleasant here. We don't know you and have reacted to the facts as presented.

You're not in a strong position and nothing alters that.

What's "reasonable"? - Palcouk

You should have rejected the vehicle immediately, and not waited 10k miles before doing so (or negotiating)

Any loss, unless a very expensive car, is the marginal difference between the value at 50k and that at 67k - on £14k purchase probably about £1.5k

Are you actually going to tell us the make/model/year?

What's "reasonable"? - pd

It really depends on the model. If it is a 4 year old Corsa the mileage makes little difference to the value. If it is a 2 year old DB9 it will.

In reality it is probably around £300-£400 sort of range so both figures are unreasonable.

Of course, in terms of the dealer knocking off money for mileage covered by yourself there is also a time factor not just a mileage one. If you've had the car 3 months it will have depreciated regardless of any mileage done and you have had the use of the car for that amount of time.

However, 10k miles really isn't anything, so if you like the car and it seems a decent one I'd be tempted to take a deal of, say, £500 from the dealer for the trouble and keep it. At least you've been able to really test drive it and verify it is OK rather than all the hassle of buying another with 10k less miles which might turn out to be a duffer.

Thank you for your objective and reasoned response pd. It's a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder, which I paid £14k for (last year).

Unfortunately, it's not exactly "a good one", as I'm currently locking horns with the dealer who has washed their hands of the ongoing problems with it.

I'm all for listening to other people and taking helpful advice, but if the advice is given in hindsight, when the unfavourable outcome is already known, that advice isn't much use to without a time machine to go with it.

I have three young children on a single income, so £14000 is an awful lot of money to me - maybe to some people it isn't.

This may feed the trolls further, but why should I let the dealer get away with it even if it makes little or no difference to the price? In my opinion that's like saying that you shouldn't steal, but if it's something of little value it's morally OK... (the reasoning being that it has little effect on those you steal it from).

Cue backlash...

Edit: just wanted to clarify - I haven't put 10K miles on it, that was the difference between what the dealer advertised it had, and what it actually had. I spoke to the dealer about 8 months ago, and put it all in writing to them. I the time I took their word for it when they intimated that there was nothing I could do. I have recntly taken legal advice because of the ongoing problems with it, and have been advised that I should sue in county court.

Edited by MrBrown on 20/04/2015 at 19:51

The clarification re. the 10k miles that you you haven't in fact driven is helpful in understanding what is going on, but you now mention "ongoing problems" with the car. This suggests some mechanical/electrical issues to me. Or have I misunderstood?

Do we actually have the full story yet?

If you have taken reliable legal advice* then pick a figure to claim for based on what you've told us and been told by us here.

You may still have problems in making out a convincing case, so I hope you haven't dismissed everything said here as mere trolling.

If you proceed, the best of luck and let us know what happens.

*Not just from a solicitor who wants money for writing a few letters and doesn't really care about the likelihood of your winning your case.

Trying to quantify the "loss" is the problem. In terms of a claim for compensation, I recall reading that the idea is to put the claimant in the position he was in beofre the 'episode' shall we say.

Yes, you are correct in that there are unresolved mechanical issues which the dealer is washing their hands of.

I've only done 7K in the car in the year. I bought it on the basis of 50K, it actually had 60K on it.

The legal advice is from a solicitor who is there in an advisory capacity only, and will not profit should I make a successful claim.

As someone above said that they have a hard time swallowing the fact that I would have bought the car with 50K miles but not 60K. Again, I don't want to have to explain every detail, it should just be read that the statement isn't on a whim. In this instance, I traded in a car with 48K miles on it. It was, in my opinion (and afterall it's my money) a step backwards to buy a newer vehicle with more miles on than the one we got rid of. So there's the (my) justification and the reasoning behind that mileage limit.

Edited by MrBrown on 20/04/2015 at 21:52

At the risk of sounding impertinent, might it not be better to go after the dealer for the mechanical problems? These would surely be much more clear-cut than a difficult-to-quantify - and some might say fairly minor - misdescription regarding mileage.

The mileage issue could have been avoided had you checked at the point of sale, but mechanical problems which emerged later are definitely the dealer's responsibility.

The dealer screwed up on the day. We only saw the car about twenty minutes before they closed as they hadn't completed all they promised. We were in there three hours waiting for it.

I had already part exchanged my old car into them. My insurance was now valid for the new vehicle and cancelled on the old one, which I also left with vapours in the tank. 100 miles / 3 hours of A roads from home on a Friday evening and seriously overdue collecting our children from the childminder. Easier said than done in reality.

Deal all done on the basis of their verbal and written statements. Website, warranty documents, HPI checks, invoice all stated 50K. Did I also mention that my partner was 6 months pregnant at the time and had been sat in a showroom chair for three hours?

Edited by MrBrown on 20/04/2015 at 22:49

I think we're getting to the real 'meat' of the matter now. It's that you've had problems with the car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the car had been running perfectly, would you really have been here, or contemplating legal action? My guess is that the answer is no - but as I say, correct me if I'm wrong.

This, however, is a criticism : you seem to be drip-feeding information in. Initially it was the mileage discrepancy on a car that was bought at an (unspecified) time in the past, and that was it. Then it's the mileage, but also the (unspecified) 'ongoing problems', which have started at some (unspecified) point in time after you took delivery of the car.

The problem you've got is that you've had the car for (it seems) a year, so I don't see you being able to reject it now. A court might side with you, but even on a new car, attempting to reject after a year of ownership would be a very fast track to some big legal bills.

Your best bet would probably be the Small Claims Court, and using it to get the costs of getting the car repaired (so a quotation from a reputable garage would be needed), which is a lot cheaper than County Court, which you have been advised (badly in my opinion) to use. Legal fees for County Court will pile up at a terrifying rate, and if you should lose, then you could be left with nothing. Small Claims Court (up to £10k claim limit in England and Wales), is a lot lower, capped fees.

What's "reasonable"? - pd

The book value (trade) difference between a 50k and 60k 2008 Pathfinder is £450. So, at retail, something around £600 is probably about right.

I think what really counts against you is time. If you'd rejected the car 1 day after buying it on the basis of the mileage then you'd have had a very good case. However, there comes a point where you are deemed to have accepted it "as is" and nearly 6 months after purcase you are almost certainly well past that point.

Even with regard to faults, it is a 7 year old car and there comes a point that the dealer bears no responsibility for it and you are on your own.

If offering a good will refund, the dealer is entitled to knock off money for the depreciation of the car during the time, mileage you have done and the fact that you have had use of the car all that time.

Personally, I would double check the legal advice as on the face of it, it looks a shakey case to me which could end up costing you a lot of time and money.

Just to be clear, I'm not rejecting the car, or seeking a refund and never was. And if I said county court, I actually meant small claims court.

There are ongoing mechanical problems which were reported within the time specified to (legally) have effectively been present at the time of sale.

There are actually a number of ongoing issues, which also relate to damage done to the vehicle when they last had it, I just don't really need to go into it. However, I'll just say that the dealer has admitted liability in the case of that damage, but are yet to rpovide any compensation.

Trust me, it's really been a horrible time, and there isn't anything which I'm discussing which is trivial.

My original question was just the difference in value of what I got, and what I paid for in terms of mileage. All anyone really needed to know in that case was the model, age etc.

I appreciate the helpful replies though.

Edited by MrBrown on 21/04/2015 at 15:43

Realistically, you have a few options. None of them are brilliant, however ...

1. Try to get them to buy back the car off you. They'll obviously want to buy it back at some discount (you've had it a year, done x miles, etc), and you'll probably want a higher price. Compromise might get you both agreeing on a figure, if both parties are realistic and negotiating in good faith. You can, of course, always use the threat of step 2 as a 'nudge' to get them to negotiate more realistically, if you feel their number is silly.

2. (and this really isn't a pretty one) Legal action. Firstly, you'd need to go to a different garage, and get a quotation for getting the damage and faults fixed. You'd then need to write to the selling garage, enclosing the quotation, and informing them that unless they either do the work themselves, OR pay for it to be done at the other garage, you will issue proceedings in Small Claims. Again, they may make an offer as to what they would be willing to do / part of the costs, and only you will be able to decide if their offer is acceptable. If you can't agree, then issuing the writ in SCC is the next step. Again, once issued, they may try to negotiate. Do be aware that SCC is umlikely to be quick.

3. (and this is unlikely) Is the garage a member of Motorcodes, or some other organisation ? If so, then there may be an arbitration service.

Lastly, you probably should, on here, specify the faults, damage, etc. 'Ongoing mechanical faults' and 'ongoing issues' doesn't really tell people much, and it could be something utterly minor (although you say not trivial) which would be laughed out of court, or it could be something pretty major. We don't know if you don't tell us.

What's "reasonable"? - slkfanboy

@pd - Totally agree and being only £500, so I guess it would best for the OP to suck it up!

It isn't only the mileage difference. That's actually the least of the issues.

I'll keep you posted.

What's "reasonable"? - skidpan

It isn't only the mileage difference. That's actually the least of the issues.

I'll keep you posted.

But in your first post, only 2 days ago, you only mentioned your problem with the mileage, you did not mention any other issues.

I suggest you compile an accurate list of all your problems. Without one commentiong on this thread is pointless since we do not know what you want from the dealer.

I suspect they are equally baffled.

That's because I don't need any advice on other issues. My only difficulty is determining what the retail difference in price might be for the mileage difference. Now I have a good idea, I can add that to the other parts of the claim to reach a conclusive amount.

There are classic examples of this where people are basing amount on a vehicle of 7 years, it was 6 when this happened. Maybe won't make much difference, but a distortion of the facts which I didn't create.

I think some people have poisoned the theme by suggesting that it's ridiculous to pursue the case just on the mileage difference, and they would be right.

I would not expect any dealer to give you a penny back on a car you have had a year and covered 7,000 miles in. Taking him to small claims court will simply be a waste of time.

You should have taken action immediately.

Define immediately.

Define immediately.

Surely that is obvious.

But for the avoidance of doubt when you collected the car.

Any sensible person would have refused to accept the car because once you have handed your cash over there is no chance of getting a penny back. By accepting the car you have indicated that you were happy to proceed with the deal on the agreed terms.

But most people don't buy a car on the words of a salesman, that is the biggest mistake anyone can ever make.

Many years ago myself and the wife went to view a Golf. It was advertised as having 6,000 miles on the odo and was priced at £10,500. We checked it was still for sale before we drove the 3 miles to the showroom and was disgusted to find it had actually covered 10,000 miles and was priced at £10,995. Salesman blamed the admin staff.

We walked away. Just like you should have done.

You obviously haven't read the thread.

What's "reasonable"? - Armitage Shanks {p}

at once; instantly.
"I rang immediately for an ambulance"
synonyms: straight away, at once, right away, right now, instantly, now, directly, promptly, forthwith, this/that (very) minute, this/that instant, there and then, here and now, in a flash, without delay, without hesitation, without further ado, post-haste; More
What's "reasonable"? - slkfanboy

thats totally unreasonable