Nissan Almera - Battery charge fail light - Helmut

The red charge light on my Almera comes on Intermittently. The battery sometimes struggles to start the car. If I charge the battery, the light no longer comes on. I can't make up my mind whether the battery has had it, or whether the generator is intermittently failing to charge. Does the red light mean that the generator is failing to charge, or that the battery voltage is low?

Nissan Almera - Battery charge fail light - elekie&a/c doctor

Generally,if the charge warning light is showing,then this is an indication of a fault with the generator.I would suggest that the battery and charging system be checked properly.

Nissan Almera - Battery charge fail light - Peter.N.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery, it should read about 14.4 volts with the engine running, much less and your alternator is faulty. If this fault is intermittent connect the meter to the cigarette lighter socket and look at it when the light comes on, chances are it will go down to around 12 volts.

Nissan Almera - Battery charge fail light - focussed

I've just solved a similar problem with my 06 Civic diesel 2.2. The battery started to struggle to start the car, battery was a new Varta a year ago. Then the start button failed to respond 1 time in ten. Checked charge voltage, resting voltage etc all ok. Had horrible thoughts of expensive electrickery problems.

Decided to start by checking/cleaning all the battery connections, all ok until I tried to find the main block ground to chassis connection. Finally found it lurking under the battery tray and yes it was loose and corroded, cleaned it up and all sorted.

Not the first time I've had this sort of problem-my old 5 series BMW E34 had the same fault except the main battery ground is under the back seat.

Nissan Almera - Battery charge fail light - elekie&a/c doctor

This is a known problem on the civic diesels,and Honda suggest fitting an additional earth lead direct from the battey to the engine block.

Nissan Almera - Battery charge fail light - focussed

Yes it's a known problem with me now- I wonder if Honda also has any suggestions as to who pays to source a part they should have fitted on production?