Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Gloverboy

Hi,

I've just changed the battery on my wife's Micra (53 plate) 1.2 petrol. Now the car won't start. The ignition turns and all the lights come on but nothing happens in the engine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - elekie&a/c doctor

Do you mean it will not crank over or will not fire up?

It doesn't even turn. All the lights on the dash come on but nothing else happens.

Sorry, the subject should read 'car won't start after changing battery'!

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - elekie&a/c doctor

Are you sure all the leads are connected to the battery?

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after changing battery - Gloverboy

Yep, I'm absolutely positive - no pun intended!

The black lead was simple. The red connector also had a second lead with a sort of fuse box on the end. I put all the leads back exactly as they were before I disconnected it.

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after changing battery - elekie&a/c doctor

Does car have keyless go,where there is no need to put key in ignition slot?

Yes, it has keyless entry and you can start it without the key being in the ignition, just in the car. I also tried it with the key in as well but it acts in exactly the same way.

There is a reset procedure for cars with keyless go.Try this.Close all doors ,boot and bonnet.Lock car with remote;unlock car ,and place key in ignition,turn on ignition for 5 mins but do not try to start the engine at this stage.Turn off ignition ,then turn back on and try and start.Give this a try.

Great, thanks. I'll give that a try in the morning.

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks again

It didn't work unfortunately. Do you think I'm faced with an expensive trip to the Nissan dealership?

If the car was starting before the battery change,then I would suggest you back track to the battery leads to make sure the connections are secure and making good contact with the battery posts.

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after changing battery - Simon
Is the new battery fully charged?

The battery is definately fully charged and the leads were put back correctly. It's as if the key has lost contact with the immobiliser?

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Jackyboy117
You have probably already solved this by now but hopefully this helps someone else as I had this problem today. When I changed the battery I got all the lights on the dashboard working but it wouldn’t even try to start. To get it to try and start I turned the ignition switch to the second point just before you start the engine, I then got out the car and disconnected the negative lead and replaced straight away. Now the car started to try and start but would only make the noise. I then had to shut all doors and bonnets, turn the engine off, lock the car with the key, open the car with the key, half turn the ignition and leave for 5 mins. Once the 5 mins is up turn off the car and straight away start. I hope this helps someone as I couldn’t find anything online except pieces of information that I had to but together.
Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - edlithgow

SURELY yáll have tried the various bizarre routines outlined above while standing on your heads and singing La Ma***illaise, in honour of the Renault connection?

I mean, isn't ihat obvious?

New cars.

JINGS!

Perhaps they are some kind of intelligence test for the human race, devised by aliens..

Since we put up with this stuff I suspect we have failed, and aren't worth saving

Edited by edlithgow on 01/12/2019 at 01:56

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Jackyboy117

Edited by Jackyboy117 on 01/12/2019 at 07:14

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Godchick

thank you for the above post, during coronavirus lock down not used car for 5 weeks. Battery was flat so recharged it, dash was lit up and lights worked but car wouldn't turn over, got green flag out and they said something about it needed synchronising, and would have to go to dealership. so saw your post and tried it, didn't work first time, but second time hey presto! so thank you for your advice and don't anyone take any notice of the next comment pooh poohing your advice! Once again many thanks!

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - edlithgow

I wasn't pooh poohing the advice.

I was expressing disgust with the procedure, and hence the necessity for the advice. The advice itself must be hugely helpful to anyone in this situation, since there is no way one could work it out from first principles.

Don't you find it ridiculous that you have to go through this rigmarole?

What's it for anyway? Some security thing?

Or just dealership=s******ship?

And talking of idiot software, what IS the Mary Whitehouse Modules problem with "tealer"? They seem to sell T-shirts,.

Maybe it/she thinks they might be WET T-shirts?

Or a typo...s******SHIP

OK,NOT a DIRTY typo then.

A synonym for "tadger"?

Maybe I'll never know..

Edited by edlithgow on 11/05/2020 at 07:18

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Redbus

I had a really similar thing happen to me. A couple weeks not using the car cause of COVID and the battery died. I tried jumping it and when that didn't work I bought a new battery (the last one was several years old). All the lights came on but it wouldn't turn over. I did the whole process outlined by JackyBoy and it worked.

Note that this has happened to me again since then. The second time, I charged the battery and when it didn't wouldn't turnover, I left it for the night cause I was fed up. In the morning it turned over well and eventually started.

there's something really wrong with the immobilisers on these things.

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - gordonbennet

My eyes glazed over trying to mentally not practically (thankfully) work through Jackyboy's restarting routine, which works by the sound of it, well done JB.

Just re-inforced my committment to have nothing whatsoever to do with keyless go, and to keep our present cars going as long as humanly possible.

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - M10ANT
You have probably already solved this by now but hopefully this helps someone else as I had this problem today. When I changed the battery I got all the lights on the dashboard working but it wouldn’t even try to start. To get it to try and start I turned the ignition switch to the second point just before you start the engine, I then got out the car and disconnected the negative lead and replaced straight away. Now the car started to try and start but would only make the noise. I then had to shut all doors and bonnets, turn the engine off, lock the car with the key, open the car with the key, half turn the ignition and leave for 5 mins. Once the 5 mins is up turn off the car and straight away start. I hope this helps someone as I couldn’t find anything online except pieces of information that I had to but together.

JB - as others have said thank you for this advice. I followed your steps exactly including turning the engine over after reconnecting the battery - before leaving it for 5 mins...... and it worked! Previously I had tried following the limited and poor guidance in the manual to no avail. However ridiculous the process seems to be, from any logical perspective, at least it worked!!

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - veloceman
Slightly off subject but connected.
My son has a Corsa. I took it in to my local indie for a service.
When I got home I realised he forgot to reset the service earring on the dash.
I phoned him up and he advised there is a combination of tasks required to reset.
I looked on utube.
Keep foot on brake, hold down toggle button on turn on ignition all at once.
And, hey presto it worked.
Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Engineer Andy

Every modern-ish car appears to have its version of CTRL + ALT + DEL. My Mazda 3 (2005 build) only has one when the battery gets changed out (other than the engine management system forgetting everything and having to re-learn what works best [only takes 15 - 20 mins of idling / driving, and it just sounds a bit rough whilst doing so]) - the driver's command panel to operate all the 4 electric windows will only operate the driver's side. All the other ones work at the window.

Just needs to pull each one down in turn, hold until a click is heard (roughly 2-4 sec after it reaches full open), then do the same to close the window. Et voila!

Luckily nothing else (as yet) needs this - not even an ICE code, like every Ford seems to need (and owners ask for on the forum on a weekly basis).

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Baggy bottom
Jacky boy,

This definitely works. Thank you everyone. Just used the 5 mins on 2 clicksafter locking and opening
It worked at treat after 2 attempts on my lasses 06 Micra. Anyone else trying ensure you turn the key all the back before trying to start after the 5 mins.

Happy days

Edited by Baggy bottom on 24/11/2021 at 16:31

Nissan Micra - Car won't start after starting battery - Dorset123

The best way to reset the car if this happens is go to the fusebox and pull out the I-Key fuse and then refit after a minute. This resets things and the vehicle should start.

Nissan Note - 1.4 - 2009 - Car don't start after disconnect battery - Antonio Macarena

Hi guys. This evening 9 Sep'22 i took out the battery. Putting back the battery, the engine did not started. That way of Jackieboy with disconnect the battery minus, close the doors, put contact, wait 5 min ... did not worked in my car Nissan Note 1.4 petrol 2009. I tried 6 times. Nothing. I tried what Dorset123 said : remove Inteligent Key System fuse, put back after 1 min. Voila !!! The car started. Is starting and working now normaly every time. Thank you very much Dorset123.

Antonio ... evening Friday 9 Sep'22

Edited by Antonio Macarena on 09/09/2022 at 22:39