1.4 - Buying a second hand Golf - FoxyJukebox

A friend passed me this interesting and unusual advice which I guess applies to anyone any thinking of buying a second hand car-although in his case it is nearly always Golfs

Every three or four years he nearly always buys a car from a dealer( not necessarily VW) that has done around 60k, is around 6 years old. His last purchase cost 6k .

Of course he checks the bodywork carefully and the cars history and ensures it is supplied with any available short guarantee , a service and a new mot. He cuts his deal, buys his tax and insurance and is then on the road!

The first day he has it--he then takes it to a tyre/exhaust/brake centre and replaces all four tyres, new wipers, the main exhaust system and a new set of brake discs/shoes all round-he allows around £1500/£1800 for this.

Apart from the obvious risk of driving a a slightly older car--and his mileage is not large, my friend says he has done this three times in the last 20 years to great success, massive savings from new and piece of mind equal to that of buying a new car. He reckons this £7800 is (to him) his new car every 4 years!

1.4 - Buying a second hand Golf - brum

To each his own I suppose.

Sounds an expensive way to run a 6 -10 year old car. £1800 spent at a quick fit type place is ridiculous, especially as they will use pattern parts.

A good 6 year 60k car probably wont need new brakes for another 2 years. And original exhaust should be good for the life of a car (even petrol) unless its a local shopping special. Why would you want to change anything on a car unless it needs doing? Aftermarket exhausts rarely last more than 3 years in my experience.

1.4 - Buying a second hand Golf - Brian Tryzers
I'm guessing your friend is retired and this habit is one that dates back to cars of a generation or two ago. If the car is from a dealer the tyres will be, at worst, legal and should have a decent amount of life left in them. The wipers will be fine until they're not, which is a £30 fix at most.

As for the exhaust, I've had my present one since the car was new in 2002 and I've no reason to suspect it won't last as long again. The same car went 96,000 miles before needing any brake parts; the front discs are still original at 140,000. My other car has now had the same brake pad advisory - on the same brake pads - at three consecutive MoTs over 37,000 miles, so they're not exactly wasting away either; if I applied your friend's reasoning I'd be getting rid of it about now with barely worn pads, when I could have just kept those it came with.

My other guess is that your friend stops to fill up when the needle is nearing halfway, "just to be on the safe side". I think he's wasting his time and money.

Edit: even more bizarre, as Brum points out, to throw away serviceable original Volkswagen parts and replace them with high-street cheapies. But I bet his local Kwikfit manager is always pleased to see him roll in. "Oh good, we can have a holiday this year!"

Edited by Brian Tryzers on 08/04/2015 at 18:34