Vauxhall Astra '98 - MOT Failure Repair cost - joseph.gibbons

I recieved test results back from an MOT service, which was failed. The garage is currently putting together a quote for repairs before beign MOT'd again.

I the meantime, I wanted to get a quick estimate on the cost of repairs. Could anybody cost each item so to give me a ball park figure?

Thanks in advance!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reasons for refusal of a test certificate:
  • Nearside rear body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings [6.1.B.2]
  • Nearside rear brake binding [3.7.B.1]
  • Nearisde front anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt [2.4.G.2]
  • Offside front Brake pipe inadequately supported [3.6.B.1]
  • Offside fron Front constant velocity joint gaiter damage to the extnet that it not longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc. [2.5.C.1a]
Advisory Items:
  • Front shock absorbers worn
  • Under body corroded

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vauxhall Astra '98 - MOT Failure Repair cost - skidpan

On a 17 year old car with "under body corroded" as an advisory I would be getting rid of it. Your money would be better of being invested in a newer motor.

Vauxhall Astra '98 - MOT Failure Repair cost - elekie&a/c doctor

Absolutely,fixing the corrosion could be the killer here.The other items are relatively cheap and easy fixes.

Vauxhall Astra '98 - MOT Failure Repair cost - joseph.gibbons

Thanks for repsonding to my post!

Other than the above, the car is in very good shape. A silly comment to make I know, but it is in very good condition for its age.

I also bought the car at a cut price from a friend as he was leaving the country, so the price difference would be swallowed up for the repair cost - again, motivation to keep the car maybe?

Anyway, what sort of figures would you expect for repairs?