unknown - Advice for a smallholder - grays85

Very good website: My nail of a Jeep died today!! so, I'd like some advice please, I do about 11k miles a year, generally tootling about..7k journeys.., My wife does 1 day a week commute of 60miles, i need something good in snow and mud, reliable, can tow a trailer with a couple of sheep in. and have about £3000 to spend any ideas everyone? I'm no mechanic for sure, afraid private buyers are chucking their cars in cos they're about to go wrong, and didn't have a good experience with a garage...bit stuck really... any advice would be great,,I live in the sticks so not much about locally..(Ludlow) thanks guys

unknown - Advice for a smallholder - Happy Blue!

Subaru Forester. Very reliable and farmers love them. Available in petrol or diesel, not overly economical, but lack of repair bills will compensate. Very comfortable ride in non-turbo models and decent with turbos. Manual cars have low range gearbox as well so good for snow/mud.

Try this..

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20150303138...p

Edited by Happy Blue! on 11/03/2015 at 17:27

unknown - Advice for a smallholder - gordonbennet

Or Subaru Outback, you won't find a Diesel Subaru in budget which might be a blessing seeing as how many are up for sale with knocking or worse engines.

Not far from Ludlow is the chap who LPG converted my Outback H6, so there's a thought for you, low mileage Outback pre 03, and get it LPG converted by Toby, you end up with a fast and frugal full time auto 4WD that will do all you ask in comfort.

If you prefer a more traditional 4x4 then a Nissan Terrano might be just the ticket and being somewhat unfashionable and maybe lacking the right image are cheap.

Landcruiser/Patrol very reliable/tough and will go anywhere on the right tyres but you'll be going old and high mileage for £3k.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/03/2015 at 17:34

unknown - Advice for a smallholder - RobJP

Another possibility might be the Suzuki Jimny. It's proper 4WD, has the towing capacity that you say you need, and with good AT tyres on will go just about anywhere. Only available in petrol engines (1.3 litre), so not terribly popular.

They are available in manual or auto, however the auto is a traditional torque converter one, and does rather sap power. So I'd recommend the manual box. But you'd only really know for yourself on test driving one.

Just a thought, if it really is a couple of sheep only would a pick up, even twin cab pick up be a viable alternative and sling the sheep in the back.

lol. Thanks got More dogs than sheep, wouldn't risk them in the back, they'd jump out, Thanks
Thanks for the reply, Local garage said, newer diesels are not suitable for my tootling about...
Local garage said. Better off with petrol as diesels need more running and I only do short journeys 7 miles is my longest run.. What do you think?
unknown - Advice for a smallholder - RobJP

For your budget, then a diesel won't have a DPF, which is the big thing to go wrong on newer diesels that don't do much mileage.

But ... for your £3k, you'll get a lot newer petrol version of a small 4*4 than you will a diesel one, and a younger car is less likely to go wrong than a diesel.

We've come up with some suggestions. Subarus suggested by some, I've thrown the Jimny into the mix.

Next bit is down to you. Go do some test drives, see what YOU think. After all, you (and your partner) are going to have to drive whatever you buy on a daily basis.

Local garage said. Better off with petrol as diesels need more running and I only do short journeys 7 miles is my longest run.. What do you think?

An old school Diesel will be quite happy doing this for you till the cows come home, its the newer ones that can't cope, especially when you throw a DPF into the mix.

The only thing you'll need to do is ensure the engine gets fresh oil and filter regularly, such as every 5k miles, and if there's a cambelt make sure its changed on time instead of mileage, if applicable.

I've got a petrol Landcruiser and trust me petrol 4x4s like a drink.

unknown - Advice for a smallholder - jgrahampo

Last October i bought a 2.0 na Forester 52 plate with 99000m on it for £1400. So far it seems ok. Bought it for mucking about in, marshalling at rallies, carrying a mucky dog in and actually find me using it for work and occasional long trips. Strangely I kind of like it. Calculated brim to brim with AT tyres I am getting 29.5 MPG.

i thought I had paid a bit much but it was local so I didnt have to trail round viewing loads.