Cavalier alarm/immobiliser disable? - selfy
Hi,

I have a 1994 (L) Cavalier 2.0 8v with a very annoying problem. On a cold damp morning (most mornings in this country!), it's guaranteed one of the two things will happen:

1) I put the key in the door, open it and the alarm goes off.
2) I open the door fine, but when try to start it, the immobiliser goes off, then the indicators flash until the battery is flat.

It will work just fine later in the day when it's a bit warmer and drier.

The alarm/immobiliser is a factory fit item and is operated by the key - there is no keyfob or immobiliser chip in the key in this system. There is a switch on the dashboard to turn on/off the motion detectors but there seems to be no way to disarm it completely. I have asked the local Vauxhall dealer how to disable it but they say it can't, and the only solution is to replace the alarm system, which is going to cost more than the car's value.

Does anybody know how to disarm this before I throw in the towel and get rid of the car, which is otherwise just fine?
Cavalier alarm/immobiliser disable? - Dynamic Dave
The alarm can be disarmed permanentely. The alarm is only armed when you activate the deadlocks with the drivers door lock.
You have two choices here,

1. Don\'t arm the deadlocks, and in turn you won\'t activate the alarm. Just turn the key 45 degrees to the left and return the key to the upright position and remove. The disadvantage with this method however is that your doors won\'t be deadlocked, so the buttons could be lifted up by some toerag.

2. Remove drivers door trim - by IIRC, 3 screws along bottom edge, remove shroud around door handle and undo the 2 screws hidden behind it, and a further screw under the door handle. If no elecy windows, remove window winder - first remembering to lower window. Now remove door trim by pulling at the edges to pop off the snap fastners. Also disconnect electric mirror plug/socket if fitted. Carefully remove the plastic splash guard membrane. Raise window again. Look at the back of the door lock. You\'ll see 2 microswitches (only one if you don\'t have elecy windows) One arms/disarmes the alarm, the other (if fitted) closes the elecy windows. You can either replace the dodgy microswitch, or cut and insulate the wires going to it. Refit trim when done. Using this method means you can still use the deadlock facility.

A Haynes manual will also help you.
You might be able to repair the dodgy switch with a squirt of wd40.
Dave,

Thanks for that useful info - it is of a great help, especially since the alarm isn't even mentioned in the Haynes Manual.

There's another twist to the tale though - my battery has gone flat. It's a new battery - replaced recently, as the old one kept going flat - and I've had the alternator checked out, too.
So I wonder if I've got some sort of mysterious current drain which is not helping things.
How long does it take for the battery to go flat?
Cavalier alarm/immobiliser disable? - Dave_TD
Is the stereo wired directly to a 12v +ve side? IIRC, there is no "accessory" position on Cavs, it could be the memory or clock on the stereo draining your battery.
The stereo was wired to a permanent live - I've just removed it to see if that's the culprit, and I've also took the boot light out in case it's coming on by accident too.

Putting a multimeter in series with the battery to test for current drain sets the alarm off - even if it's deactivated at the door (!) - I'll try and disconnect it at the main unit behind the glovebox when I have the opportunity.
Battery goes flat after car is left for 2 days without being driven.
Further to my earlier reply, I'm surprised your at your Vaux dealer not knowing how to disarm the alarm completely. IIRC the alarm module lives in the drivers side kick panel in the footwell, and I think the multiplug can just be disconnected from it. Also IIRC the alarm has its own fault diagnostics, just like the cars ECU has.

You mention the switch on the dash for the motion detectors. Isn't this button on the ultrasonic unit, that's situated on the "B" pillar on the drivers side of the car? At least it was on the J and L reg Cav's I used to own.
Yes I didn't believe the vaux dealer. I suspected they were more interested in selling me a new alarm or car.

The motion detector button isn't on the ultrasonic unit, it's just to the right of the steering wheel. I'll try and take a pic of it later. I haven't seen one of these on another cav either, but it does seem to be a Vauxhall branded alarm (vx badge on the unit under the bonnet).
The motion detector button isn't on the ultrasonic unit, it's
just to the right of the steering wheel. I'll try and
take a pic of it later. I haven't seen one
of these on another cav either, but it does seem to
be a Vauxhall branded alarm (vx badge on the unit under
the bonnet).

Hmmm, this sounds to me as if it's not a factory fit alarm, but fitted maybe by a Vaux dealer at a later date. Are the ultrasonic units at the top of the "B" pillars (front/rear door pillar) on both sides of the car? (one should have the red flashing LED in it) The only part of the alarm that should be visible under the bonnet if it is a factory fit alarm are a horn and bonnet pin switch; which are situated behind the McPherson suspension strut housing on the nearside of the car. The alarm unit itself lives behind the front kickpanel in the drivers footwell.
Cavalier alarm/immobiliser disable? - Peter D
Have you got the Auto Dimming interior light on your model. I have seen these fail and come on at random and flatten the battery. The last one I fixed only did it on cold nights. Regards

Peter
Here's a picture of the alarm:

www.jaded.co.uk/cavalier/

Seen one of these before?
There are ultrasonics on both sides of the car - there is a red LED on one of them and a pushbutton switch on the other (which just seems to make the other LED flash).

I'm going to try and find out what's causing the battery to go flat, as that seems to be when the alarm starts playing up.
Here's a picture of the alarm:
www.jaded.co.uk/cavalier/
Seen one of these before?

Not the box under the bonnet, no. Neither the switch under the rear fog light. I have previously owned 2 Cav's and also driven at least 20 others and have never ever seen anything but a blanking plug where you have that switch postioned.
There are ultrasonics on both sides of the car - there
is a red LED on one of them and a pushbutton
switch on the other (which just seems to make the other
LED flash).

They are certainly the factory fit ultrasonic units. The pushbutton is to disable the ultrasonics, and the flashing light when you press the button confirms that you've done so.

Complete mystery this one.
They are certainly the factory fit ultrasonic units. The pushbutton is
to disable the ultrasonics, and the flashing light when you press
the button confirms that you've done so.
Complete mystery this one.

One of the helpful blokes over at Cavweb said that this system looks like a Vauxhall 'System 90' alarm, which is designed to be fitted in vauxhalls that don't have a factory fit alarm. However, the fact that it has factory-fit ultrasonics seems to suggest it has been fitted to a vehicle which already has a factory alarm in it ?!
However, the fact that it has factory-fit ultrasonics seems
to suggest it has been fitted to a vehicle which already
has a factory alarm in it ?!

From looking at your pics, the horn fitted behind the McPherson strut housing is where the factory fit horn is also placed. I'm wondering if this is a cheaper alternative alarm fitted to replace a broken factory fit alarm. Generally the factory fit alarm is only fitted to higher spec trim levels of Cavaliers. What is the car spec, GL, GLS, ect?
It's an LS auto, base spec as far as I gather.
It's an LS auto, base spec as far as I gather.

In that case, (but I could be totally wrong), IMHO it wouldn't have come fitted with a factory fit alarm, unless requested as an extra option by the original buyer when the vehicle was new.
Cavalier alarm/immobiliser disable? - alarmbod
What you have there, seeing those pictures is the Vauxhall 901 or 902 alarm - the fact that you say you have no keyfob suggests more likely that it is the 901 (as it came with no keyfob operation).
These alarms were accessory fit, and could be done by either a dealer or owner of the vehicle.
The fitting instructions say that on a Cavalier the main alarm control unit should be fitted on the back of the glovebox with a double sided sticky pad (supplied in kit) or you may find that it is wedged behind the dash in that area.
The alarm kit came supplied with scotchlocks the the wiring, and as everyone knows, these are rather unreliable! look the the orange wire on the largest connector on the alarm control unit (ignition switched feed) trace it through and check the connecting scotch lock, or remove the offending item and solder the connection, as the alarm looks for this feed to turn the alarm and it's immobiliser module off.
I cant explain the factory sonics being fitted on the vehicle, as these arent compatable with the 901/2 alarm system!
thanks for all your help.

Does anyone know how much I would have to spend to buy a reasonable alarm/immobiliser system to replace this 'frankenstein' system I have at the moment?

I was all ready to take the whole lot out, but it's a condition of my insurance that I have an alarm in there, so I've left it alone for the time being.
Selfy, did you ever get around to checking the microswitch on the door lock?
Hi Dave,

I tried some WD40 on it - so far the alarm hasn't gone off on opening the door yet, so that's good news!

Garry