SEAT Alhambra - Power loss to engine and brakes - Lucy_lou

Having purchased the SEAT Alhambra 1.9tdi 2000 I'm gutted to find that my mechanic has listed expensive faults with it. There is an obvious intermittent loss of power to the engine where it feels like there is literally nothing in the engine. Also the brakes are unresponsive- not completely failing but need really pushing to stop. There is no power to 3 of the electric windows and a terrible noise when steering.

My mechanic wants me to bin the car but has advised I replace the vacuum pump, maf sensor and belt tensioner to bring the car back online. Its not that I don't trust him but he's sooo negative.

Has anyone any advice whatsoever that may help me turn my frown upside down.

Many thanks

SEAT Alhambra - Power loss to engine and brakes - focussed

So you took your car to "your mechanic" to have the faults diagnosed and to get his recommendation.

It sounds as if he knows what he is talking about.

I'm interested as to why you think he is being negative?

SEAT Alhambra - Power loss to engine and brakes - gordonbennet

Agreed, mech's suggestions sound right for the problems you mention.

It's a 15 year old vehicle that would appear to have been neglected, by all means run it but don't be surprised if it needs constant attention and regular new parts to keep it going, cars of that age need to be either good quality and built to last in the first place or you need to be a competent DiYer.

Thank you for your replies. I am purchased it recently needing a vehicle to carry 3 big children! I'm not unhappy with the mechanic (quite the opposite we were once an item) it's just I wanted more than a "well it might be this or it might be that" approach to repairing it. I really do appreciate he doesn't have a magic wand but also I wanted to see if any other users of that vehicle had any experience of those same faults, remedies and hopefully successes.

SEAT Alhambra - Power loss to engine and brakes - Railroad.
I'd start by checking the vacuum pump which themselves are very reliable. You may have a split hose or a broken pump drive which would explain all the problems you're having. The EGR valve and turbo actuator will not operate with a loss of vacuum.

Thank you for the reply- I am grateful! The vacuum pump is soooo expensive but first on my list. I have tried breakers but they won't sell me the part until they've spoken to my mechanic. Could you verify whether you would replace the fuel filter before the MAF sensor? Just trying to save money plus does anyone have any experience of buying car parts on eBay? How reliable has anyone found them to be?

So many questions!!

SEAT Alhambra - Power loss to engine and brakes - dieselnut

You need to get the vacuum restored before looking at anything else.

Apart from the brakes, it is used to operate several items on the engine including the turbo.

First place to start is to detach the rubber vacuum pipe from the tandem pump & check for vacuum there with the engine running. No vacuum, you need a new pump. Vacuum ok, check all the rubber vacuum pipes for either leaks or a kink.

Once the vacuum is restored to all parts of the system, see what else is wrong & report back.

Just noticed it is year 2000 car. That year they changed from an injection pump engine with a seperate vacuum pump to the PD engine with a tandem pump. All the above applies except that the vacuum pumps are different.

Edited by dieselnut on 15/02/2015 at 17:33

Once again thanks for your response. I'm very grateful