YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - sks

Recently we received a Recall letter for our Toyota Yaris. The problem description as follows:

Description: Oil may accumulate in the turbo charger and, in certain circumstances, flow into the combustion chamber. This may cause engine damage. In extreme cases oil can be ejected from the engine and if it comes in contact with an ignition source may result in a fire. Remedial action: Depending on vehicle diagnosis, modify intercooler layout to improve air flow; upgrade ECU software; upgrade turbo charger and/or vacuum pump.

The problem is that our Yaris Engine which has done only 56K has exploded without any reason about a week before the recall.

I have made an appointment for Toyota garage to take a look at the engine but not sure what will happen after that.

Our engine explosion matches the description given by Toyota.

Has anyone have any similar experience or able to advise me how to proceed.

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - oldtoffee

I'd wait and see what the Toyota dealer says before deciding. If you can use the word luck in your position you're lucky it is Toyota as they have a reputation for being very good in looking after the customers interests in cases like this.

If the garage comes back and says it has got nothing to do with the recall and won't treat it as an out of warranty (is it?) fix then you need to carefully consider your next step and get some more advice here and elsewhere.

Thanks

We will wait and see what happens.

Please read earlier message first:

Ok I have some news:

Our Yaris went to the dealership for investigation and they confirmed that the engine explosion was connected and matches with the recall issue and should be covered by Toyota.

However Toyota head office now dragging their heels and saying they are not sure if this engine explosion is covered by their recall warranty system.

They are saying due to age (5 years) of the car this may not be covered by the recall warranty.

I am still waiting for a formal response from Toyota.

Please advise my next steps should they decline fixing our car.

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - Manatee

Presumably it was Toyota who sent you the recall notice? That would seem to leave them on weak ground why they choose not to accept some responsibility, especially as the reason they have mentioned is age rather than the cause of the failure.

I absolutly agree with you.

If Toyota don't accept responsibility then I will be asking that in writing so that I can decide my next course of action.

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - Auristocrat

From a third party viewpoint I'm not sure whether the description does match your 'explosion' - it states in extreme circumstances if ejected oil gets into contact with an ignition source, it may cause fire.

Have you asked Toyota what their next step is? Will they be sending out one of their own technical people to evaluate the damage to your engine?

By the way the recall system isn't a warranty. If a car has been affected by the problem(s) the recall is meant to address, then the recall will correct the problem and subsequent damage. However, if the reason for the engine damage is something outside of that particular recall's remit, then the recall won't cover the damage.

If Toyota state that the engine damage is due to something outside the remit of this particular recall, you will be reliant on either an extended warranty (if you have one), or a goodwill contribution from Toyota.

You stand more chance of receiving goodwill if you have a Toyota service history. If you haven't got a Toyota service history, Toyota (like any other manufacturer) may not offer any goodwill.

Goodwill works both ways - if you're loyal to the manufacturer in terms of where you get your vehicle serviced, then the manufacturer will usually show some loyalty to you in terms of goodwill.

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - SmegsterXV

As one of the culprits for this recall, basically my Yaris has had oil in all the wrong places twice. It is also subject to the same recall, and a dealer has actually told me that my car is probably one of the reasons for the recall. Your car should be of a certain age that it is still in warranty.

Most likely they will fix it for free on the warranty, if they don't then kick us a big fuss about it with them and it will get fixed. I've been through all the layers of Toyota to get things sorted with my current Yaris because of the issue. They have been telling me there isn't a problem, only to recall the car about 2 months after.

Needless to say, my Yaris is beign got rid of because it is too unreliable

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - johncyprus
Thankfully Toyota have a well deserved reputation of caring about their customers; Ihopefully you won't be fobbed off. Back in 2005 I had a problem with a paint repair done by a Toyota garage. The workshop manager wouldn't budge and I complained to Toyota head office. Within hours the workshop manager was on the phone asking me what I wanted doing.

Lets be clear regarding mention of warranty. The Toyota five year/100,000 mile new car warranty was introduced for cars frist registered on or after 1st June 2010.

Those cars which were first registered up to and including 31st May 2010, were covered by the three year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

Therefore there will be numbers of Toyotas which were first registered before June 2010 and are five years old, which are outside their three year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

The recall system isn't a warranty.

Edited by Auristocrat on 12/02/2015 at 18:16

Lets be clear regarding mention of warranty. The Toyota five year/100,000 mile new car warranty was introduced for cars frist registered on or after 1st June 2010.

Those cars which were first registered up to and including 31st May 2010, were covered by the three year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

Therefore there will be numbers of Toyotas which were first registered before June 2010 and are five years old, which are outside their three year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

The recall system isn't a warranty.

For the benefit of this forums participants I would urge everyone to read the “The Sale Of Goods Act 1979” which was last amended by “House of Commons” on 2 nd of April 2012. This refers to “Consumer rights to return faulty goods” for up to 6 years.

Suffice to say that our Car Engine failure, for which a recall notice was sent by Toyota, fell in this category. I checked my legal rights but didn’t had to take that route as Toyota Head Office was so helpful.

I am very pleased and say a big thank you to Toyota Customer relations who authorised (under Recall Warranty) the complete engine repair/replace for our Yaris.

Thank you Toyota.

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - Oli rag

Great example of Toyota doing the right thing , VW take note!

Just be aware that the recall system isn't a warranty.

Also the Sale of Goods Act won't apply to everyone. If the item was bought on HP, the Supply of Goods Implied Terms Act 1973 applies, where the HP company is responsible for the quality of goods, and gives the purchaser slightly different rights.

YARIS TR D-4D 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1364cc - Toyota Yaris Recall - Avant

Glad it's turmed out well for you, sks. I think Toyota are conscious that they have a high proportion of private buyers in the UK, and they're prepared to do the right thing to preserve their reputation.

The Yaris is a good car, underestimated, like most Toyotas apart from the GT86, by the magazine road testers (although not by the HJ road tests). Personally, if I wanted a Yaris I'd go for the 1.3 petrol every time. Toyota have done the decent thing but better not to have had the problem in the first place.

Edited by Avant on 04/03/2015 at 12:33