Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - salmon81

Hi, I have a 06 207 1.6 HDI which has developed an intermittent fault which seems to be getting worse, every so often if you lock the car and go back to it after a few minutes and try to unlock it nothing happens, lights don't flash and no noise made, if you use the key to get inside the car and try the ignition then that's totally dead too, the only solution that we have found that seems to work at the moment is to get out of the cat and try to lock/unlock the car, leave it for a few minutes then the indicators flash and the doors will either lock or unlock and alls back to normal. I'm hoping that the issue doesn't get to the point where it'll stop the car whilst driving! If anyone can suggest anything to check or what could be failing then I'd be very grateful. Also we're having an issue with blue smoke on start up from cold and lumpy idle for a few seconds/until rev'd so not sure it that'll be linked? or if anyone knows what that could be? Many thanks Paul

Edited by salmon81 on 03/01/2015 at 20:25

Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - RobJP

Unlikely to be linked. The locking/immobiliser is most likely an electrical fault in one of the respective modules, the smoke/idle problem is most likely a fueling/air mix problem

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it would be related but you never know with cars these days!

I'm not so fussed about the smoking issue as it only lasts a minute when cold.

My next challenge is going to be trying to find out what modules controls what, I've been looing around and it looks like the immobiliser would still let the engine turn over but not fire up? so i'm struggling to work out why there is no power at all, then something resets and all is fine? :(

Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - elekie&a/c doctor

Not so simple,i'm afraid.Modern cars work on an electronic network of commands and requests.A problem in one module can cause something else not to work correctly.If you are not familiar with the workings of the system ,I would leave well alone,as more damage could be caused by incorrect test procedures.As a basic test,I would look at the connections to the battery and main cables,especially those that run to the chassis earth and junction point on top of the gearbox,a known problem area where the cable is under stress and fractures.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check the out tommorow, i've read eleswhere that it could be a faulty earth on the gearbox but I would have thought if that were the case then it would lose electrics at random times not just when its tuned off.

Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - dieselnut

" I would have thought if that were the case then it would lose electrics at random times not just when its tuned off. "

Once the engine is running the alternator will keep everything powered.

When the engine is stopped it is reliant on the battery for all power.

So a poor conexion to the battery or earth will cause your problem.

Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - Gibbo_Wirral

There are usually at least two earth points, so make sure you trace them all. It was customary for Peugeot to "hide" one under the battery tray on the 306 and 307.

Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - hardway

Best bet is get someone with Peugeot Planet diagnostic systems to do what's called a "Global Scan!

this will scan all the vehicle modules and report an any and all faults found.

Though for my money I'd be concentrating on the results from the BODY SYSTEMS INTERFACE.

Everything electrical runs through and is controled by this module.

Peugeot 207 - Central locking fault and no electrics for 5 mins? - Gibbo_Wirral

Google "Peugeot Planet Map" and you'll find a link to an owners map.

Thanks for all the replys, for the past few days we've been unlocking and locking the car using the key in the lock and not the fob and fingers crossed it hasn't done it, so its looking like it could be something to do with the alarm maybe?

Thanks

Paul

It looks like the fault has returned with using the keys in the lock :( and the problem is getting worse, can take nearly up to an hour for it to reset now, no electrics on the car works apart from the radio, dash clocks etc don't work and hazards work but nothing on the instrument cluster :(

Anyone come accross anything like this?

Going to the garage with it tomorrow as it's getting to a point where its unusable

Thanks

Paul