Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - dl56uk

My car was rear-ended in a snow storm boxing day ,they other party as admited liability

I have informed my insurers,giving all details of witnesses other party details and names and adresses + i took pictures. My car was taken away today by "Just car Clinic" to be repaired. Now according to them my insurers have informed them that I am to pay a £520 excess and claim it back from the 3rd party insurers.

Now dont get me wrong but i thought when i paid my fully comp insurance and i get hit , i am the victim the other partys insurance should pay this but why do i have to find all this money baering in mind its money i dont have so im asking what do i do without paying them a penny ??

When the works done and the cars ready I was told i can ask for a "Pro Forma Invoice" Please if there is any 1 out there can give me the best advice ever i would be eternaly geartful because when my cars ready i just dont know where im going to get £520 to pay the excess .... Thanks dl56uk

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - daveyjp
Too late now,but all this could have been done by you contacting the third paty insurance company for them to agree their party was 100% at fault. We have done this when an accident (mis) management company were set upon us by our insurance company.

I had our car repaired at my chosen company and they billed the third party company directly. We paid nothing.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - craig-pd130

Do not deal with the Just Car Clinic people. Deal only with your insurer.

Call your insurer in the morning and tell them you expect THEM to sort things out, and that you should not have to mediate with the repairer etc. It's why you pay your premium. Also tell your insurer it is up to THEM to claim the excess from the third-party's insurer.

Do NOT get angry, just tell them calmly and simply. Stick to your guns.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Simon

Just Car Clinic are HIS insurers approved repairer.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Alby Back
As a back up, in the meanwhile, apply for a new credit card, preferably one with an extended interest free period. You don't ever have to use it if the insurance company does the decent thing but if you do have to shell the £500 out to get your car back and then wait to be reimbursed you can cover it like that. If that's what happens, don't forget to pay the minimum each month until it's sorted.

Good luck with it all !
Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - craig-pd130

Yes, I know. The original poster should not be taking instructions directly from the repairer. It's up to the insurance company to coordinate all this.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - skidpan

Yes, I know. The original poster should not be taking instructions directly from the repairer. It's up to the insurance company to coordinate all this.

Its the way its worked and has worked for the last 40 years while I have been driving. You have an accident and ring your insurers as per the T & C's of your policy. You then have several ways to proceed, 1. let the 3rd party sort it, 2. take it to your favourite body shop (sometimes a bigger excess to pay) or 3. let the insurance company arrange for one of thier approved repairers to sort it. Method 3 is usually faster since they don't have to wait for assessors, a few e-mailed photo's will normally do the trick and the work can be started. Method 2 usually entails a wait while assesors are in the area and then a further delay whist a price is agreed before the work can commence.

But if you take method 2 or 3 you will have to pay the excess to the body shop before they will let you have your car back.

I have used method 1 once in the past. It turned out fine (eventually) but from the time of the accident in February to getting the car repaired (August) was 6 months. Luckily it was minor front bumper/wing damage only and the car was perfectly OK to drive but its no good if the car is not drivable.

Last claim I dealt with was for Dad. He had an accident on the Wednesday, I phoned Aviva Thursday and Car Care Clinic collected the car Friday. They rang Monday AM to say work had been agreed and car would be ready Friday (needed 1 new door skin, 1 door skin repairing and the whole side of the car painting, think it was about £1200. After valetting the car was delivered back the following Monday. They took a card payment for the excess over the phone once we had accepted it was all OK. Other than my original call to Aviva there was no further contact, it was all coordinated by Car Care Clinic.

All very simple.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Bromptonaut

My experience is exactly same as Skidpan's.

Last year Mrs B clipped a car parked outside neighbours while reversing into our drive. Liability 100% hers.

As car was new we wanted work done by Citroen approved workshop rather than insurer's place. Took it in, estomator looked at it and took pictures (digital photography must have revolutionised their job). Later he sends pics and an estimate to LV. Once they've approved car was dropped off and repaired. Excess paid to bodyshop on collection.

Last week my car was hit by barrier while exiting a council car park. SFAIK wholly operator's liability. I've phoned my insurer and sought an estimate. If I accept that and proceed it's same system as above. I pay lesser of repair cost or excess on collection and LV seek recovery from the Council, inluding my excess. Claims handler though says that may not be as easy as you'd think.

Given it's cosmetic damage only to a 10yo/150k miles Berlingo I met yet close insurance claim and pursue council myself. Or just live with it along with car's other battle scars.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - bathtub tom

Brompt.

I've claimed against other insurers for damage to my old and battered cars a couple of times, when I've been blameless.

I've submitted a couple of quotes and included a settlement for a lesser sum with the statement: "to be repaired at my own cost, or loss of value, at my discretion".

They've settled for the lesser sum, promptly.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Bromptonaut

I think the OP has dual posted this in legal and motoring. ould the mods merge the threads?

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Bianconeri
The excess is an uninsured loss, you have to pay it and reclaim it along with any other legitimate expenses.

Sorry, that's the way it works. The claims management parasites just muddy the waters.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Armitage Shanks {p}
Why post in two parts of the site and confuse people?
Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Hamsafar

You can claim your losses from the third party. If you don't pay your excess, you aren't liable.
By involving YOUR own insurer, you are liable to pay YOUR excess.
It is better not to involve your own insurer when there is no question of liability, they will most likely just up your premiums, charge you your excess and send you to somewhere like Just Car Clinic and get a £300 referral bung from them.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - dacouch

When your Insurer has sent you to Just Car Clinic and your Insurers are paying for the repair costs why would they get a £300 referral bung fron Just Car Clinics?

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - RT

Because the OP's insurer will claim the repair costs back from the third party - but they'll keep the referral fee, so making a profit on the OP's bad luck.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - dacouch

You're getting confused between claiming from your own insurer (Which is the example you gave) or using an accident management company.

If you use your own Insurer and pay your excess, your Insurer will normally send you to a garage they have approved eg they've negotiated an hourly rate they're happy with most Insurers would also negoiate for a courtesy car to be available.

Your Insurer then pays the garage bill less the policy excess which the customer would have paid them.

The Insurer may have negotoiated end of year bonues based on volumes of business but this is not a referal fee.

An accident management company would pay an Insurer a fee of circa £300 for getting a customer into a credit hire car. They also sometimes pay the Insurer a referal fee if it's just a repair without a credit hire as the management co tend to factor the garages invoice eg they negoiate a discount of circa 5% off the bill and pay the garage the lower amount but claim the higher amount from the third party.

The only time an Insurer receives a "referal" fee when their own client is claiming from their own policy eg paying their excess and their own Insurer is paying the bill is with RSA. They add an additional cost to the overall bill to cover RSA's costs in dealing with the claim. This procedure is currently going through the courts as other Insurers are disputing that this is a valid cost

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - Bianconeri
It is the recovery of the excess and other uninsured losses that demonstrates to the insurance company that the other party was at fault. The OP is insured comprehensively so his insurer pays for his damage less the excess. The insurance company gets its money back from the third party insurer, though this tends not to be on a claim by claim basis but by netting all the claims between insurer A and insurer B - that is the origin of "knock for knock" agreements not the urban myth definition that lots of folks assume it means.

Now, if the OP chose not to involve his insurer then he'd need to get the third party or his insurers to stump up for the lot.

Claims management parasites will make this muddy of course.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - motorclaimguru

Come to my website www.motorclaimguru.co.uk for all the advice you need for free.

If you get stuck, drop me an email at timkelly@motorclaimguru.co.uk Honest john recommend me,so your in safe hands.

Regards

Tim

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - RT

Troll alert above

Ford Mondeo Estate - Victim-rear-end crash,cant pay excess what do i do - FP

"Honest john recommend me,so your in safe hands."

Somehow I doubt it.

See if you can spot the school boy mistake in his explanation of what TPF&T actually covers...

"Third Party Fire And Theft

This does not cover you for any damage to your vehicle other than by way of Fire, Theft, or Vandalism.But it does cover you for any damage to peoples property or injury you may have caused.Should you have accident that is not your fault , please go to my "how best to claim section"

www.motorclaimguru.co.uk/guide-to-motor-insurance....l

Very sloppy for someone who proclaims to understand policy wordings inside out and has a mind for the detail.