Vx Omega Rocker Cover - Rosanbo
Vx Om 2.0 16 Valve

Well I'm nearly finished, I have cleaned the throttle assembly, new gasket, and replaced the two breather pipes removed and cleaned the idle valve, new gasket, and checked that it still works.

made sure the vacuum hole ( the one for the rocker cover pipe )in the throttle housing was also clean, by squirting white spirit through it, and yes, I did mop it up from the inside of the air inlet manifold.

I have fitted an oil separator / filter on the top of the crankcase breather pipe, a part which was not originally fitted to my Omega. Part number 9 193 502 ( highly recommended to anyone with an older omega.)

I took off the rocker cover (because it had a leak into the spark plug wells.) I have cleaned the shiny area where the gasket will run. I cleaned the plug wells 1,2,& 3 were filthy and No. 1 was especially full of old sludgy oil ( as were 2 & 3 but not so much oil), thrown out the plugs.

So my questions are now:

1. What sort of silicone do I use to help seal the RC gasket?

2. Do I only use the silicone where the gasket has to go over the two humps at the front and the two dips at the back of the engine? or do I put the silicone all the way around the gasket.

3. Why is there two dips at the rear of the RC it's as if the cam shafts were designed to run all the way to the rear but they have changed the design and now we have the oddly shaped RC gasket which has to fill those two dips at the rear.

Any advice on what make and brand name of silicone to use, where to buy it, and how to apply it will be gratefully recieved.

Kev
Vx Omega Rocker Cover - Rosanbo
Update...

I only put what I have found to help anyone else who might have the same questions as I have.

QU. 1. I found that some use hematite red £3.90, some use standard silicone such as Loctite black £5.50. But I am going to use the Vauxhall silicone - part No. 90 485 251 costing about £5.50

Qu 2. The Vx mechanic told me that generally when using a new gasket they don't bother with the stuff, but he said it was very strong stuff and that they used it on the oil sump. He agreed though that I could use it on the two rear half moon cut outs and the front four corners at the base of the two half circle humps. He told me not to over tighten the RC bolts as this would distort the seal.

Qu 3. the two cut outs which appear to serve no purpose are the unfortunate result of the manufacturing process. They have to drill the aluminium casting whilst it is all assembled, drilling the position for the camshafts to sit in. and the drill has to pass through the rear of the casing for the necessary alignment.
Vx Omega Rocker Cover - tipster

My first post, and i would really like to sort this car as it is so fast, I have a 1999 v6 3ltr elite, I had to have the dash out, to put a new heater box in, While this was out the mechanic, showed me snipped siren wires, and a chip on either side of the car, So i have a ex police car, It is mint and great to drive, So with my heater on, I go booting it down the motorway, Only to see smoke coming out of the drivers side of the bonnet.
So out comes the mechanic, relieves me of 80 pounds for rocker gaskets, seals and rings, He does the job, And i go on my merry way, Only for the same smoke to come out of the same place, The mechanic stroked his chin, And said i will get back to you, as i cant see were its coming from,
When he first did the leak, there was a lot of oil, in the sparkplug holes, Just wondering if any one can tell me were my leak may be. If i dont get to enjoy this car soon, its going for scrap, Its doing my head in,
Oh and since the dash was out, The drivers door wont work off the fob
The car has everything working, phone/leather seats./blind, I love it, but cant use it

Vx Omega Rocker Cover - injection doc

when rocker covers leak they need replacing due to distortion, if its oil smoke. If its steam the water control valves tend to leak and water runs out down onto the exhaust and sends clouds of steam up. . There is also an oil cooler in the back of the V block under the inlet manifold and they are prone to leaking and a pain to change.

Vx Omega Rocker Cover - tipster

mine is oil smoke, as i have to turn the air vents off, due to the smell coming through, but the gaskets were only done days ago, beginning to think, the mechanic, did not use any sealant with the gaskests, or is it the oil cooler, Thats the problem, all these mechanice want money, but they cant point to the problem, Have already paid for this job to be fixed, Got a feeling it needs doing again, just to eliminate the oil cooler, is that correct

Vx Omega Rocker Cover - injection doc

all they need to do is to add some ultraviolet dye to the oil and then they can trace the scource of the leak. I suspect its the rocker covers as they do distort badly and need replacing ! not just new gaskets.