Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - HectorG
I have just bought a new Forester XT. A bit of a heart versus head purchase. Having been running a Freelander 2 SD4 for the last three years and waiting for the Forester diesel Lineartronic (CVT) to be released I got fed up waiting and was seduced by the superb new 2.0 DIT petrol turbo in the new Forester.

I have been running this for a month now and have to say it is a pretty convincing package. I have been driving for nearly 50 years and have owned a large number of cars of various types and think I recognise a good car when I drive one. Why is it then that all the usual suspects like What Car, Auto Express, etc generally give it ** in reviews when the owners reviews they publish generally give it *****? In one review I read the main criticism seemed to be that XT was a stupid name for a car with a turbo!

It was purely fortuitous that I ended up with this car. On holiday in Wales in early September, the Freelander displayed a warning on the dash that traction was reduced. I contacted Land Rover Assist at 7.30pm and discovered that the warranty expired at midnight. I took it into the local Land Rover dealer the next day for diagnosis. They happened to have just taken on the Subaru franchise in the area and I looked at Subarus they had in the showroom. I had not considered the previous generation Forester ( too much objection from wife), although my car prior to the Freelander was a third generation (SG) Forester 2.0 XT. Up until this moment I had not considered the fourth generation Forester (SJ) because of the poor reviews. When I was told the Freelander needed a new Haldex unit I Googled "Haldex and diff issues" and decided it was time to get rid.

To cut a long story short (apologies for going on) I had a number of test drives in the various versions of the new Forester. It would have been more sensible to go for the N/A 2.0 petrol, but the turbo was so beguiling I fell for it. And I reminded myself that I really don't like diesel - 6 of my last 8 cars have been petrol. Now if I hadn't previously owned a Subaru (and found it to be one of the most practical and satisfying cars I have ever owned) I would never have got this far. How anyone who does not know the marque ever buys one is a mystery bearing in mind the "comic's" reluctance to acknowledge their qualities.

BTW, the situation in the USA is quite the opposite. Subaru generally sell over 40,000 cars a month and the Forester makes up over 13,000 of these per month! I think I read Subaru sales in the US rose last year by over 40% compared with the previous year. Are the British public obsessed with the badge on their car or what?
Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - RT

Generally, Subaru models are off the pace on fuel consumption, the effect of having such a good 4wd system - not helped by their slow development of any diesel and only now making an automatic available on the diesel.

Fuel consumption and lack of diesel are two issues that pass the USA by !

I want a H6 diesel Tribeca-size Subaru as I do miss my Outback.

I take your point RT, but it's more a case of perceived fuel consumption in many cases. My diesel Freelander only managed 30.1 mpg (calculated) in 35,000 miles. My XT is showing exactly 30.0 mpg on the OBC (so far all local trips). Although the first tank was a little under 28 it is gradually improving. I've read of owners achieving low thirties true mpg and met someone the other day with an XT who had achieved 29.8 actual in the last year doing mostly short local journeys but had managed over 40mpg actual on longer trips. I know it's not brilliant,but quite an improvement on the 25 mpg my 2004 SG Forester 2.0 XT managed. Also bearing in mind the 240 ps engine this isn't bad compared with a Legacy Spec B my son had which had a similar power engine (245ps) and was lucky to achieve mid 20's even on a run.

A browse of the Spirit Monitor website where you can see real world fuel consumption figures soon shows that the ridiculous claims of the manufacturers regarding diesel fuel consumption are just that - ridiculous. I flirted with the idea of a BMW X3 diesel (nearly £10,000 more than a similarly loaded XT), but one of the complaints you read about them is the claimed mpg is impossible to achieve and generally the best you can expect is high 30's. The £10k saving buys an awful lot of 'cheaper' petrol and have you experienced that bag of nails of an engine?

Also, hasn't the tide turned on diesel?
Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - corax

Not sure I understand the poor reviews.

Then again, Subaru's are cars that appeal to people who tend to keep cars for a long time, where sound engineering, toughness, reliability are preferred over the ability to make every drop of fuel last the distance.

I'm not sure that road testers have the same priorities when rating the cars.

I think my XT is fabulous to drive, despite it being 9 years old now. It just seems to take anything on the road in it's stride, and I find myself driving faster than I usually would, which is the danger.

There are things I would want to change. The soundproofing is virtually non-existent, the seats are designed for short people and have no lumbar support or side support, which you really need considering how well the car corners. But I do have a bad back, which makes it seem worse. Suspension can be a bit jolty from the rear - I don't agree with the 'good ride' reputation, not with my car anyway.

But it just works, day in, day out. It's extremely practical, a swiss army knife of a car, full of nice touches like the heating element in the windscreen to thaw out the wipers, or the full size sunroof. Really good aircon and heating, at home in all weathers.

It's a shame that the Saab 9-2X never came to fruition, because I would have been interested in one. A car with all the Subaru underpinnings but far more refined by the sound of it.

Whenever I sell mine, I know that I am going to miss a few things about it, that's for sure. I knew that it was going to be thirsty, but I hoped that the reliability would mean that I would only be spending on fuel and servicing, not repairs. So far it's paid off.

In this country they are a car to appeal to the minority, unlike USA or Australia. And it seems that the road testers think the same.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - hillman

I stopped taking notice of reviews in the motor magazines when I read, "...but Oh, those shiny plastics !".

Motor magazines now pay more attention to 'infomatics" and whether the 'music' system has the latest number of speakers as opposed to facts about the vehicle. I suppose that the motorist of today is less interested in practicalities. While I was waiting for my Outback to be attended to I read a copy of the subscribers edition of the TV clowns magazine reporting on various models of car. The writer said about Subaru, - I paraphrase - "Driving a Subaru is like going for a walk with your labrador in the country and model XXX is like what you have to pick up". Motoring journalists of today would be more at home writing about ladies fashions.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - gordonbennet

I don't thnk the tide has turned on Diesel, the taxman has, we've seen a lot of (friendly to the govt of the day of whatever hue, cause) media softening up of the wide eyed car buying general public about how nasty Diesels are...funny how they were the best thing since Y-fronts 5 minutes ago but i digress...the govt has reaped the rewards of encouraging drivers to opt for low C02 Diesels by much lower tax receipts, both VED and fuel, they want some back.

Whether its to fund another war or two, give another several £billion to foreign dictators, or goodness me even slightly slow the rapidly increasing national debt is anyone's guess.

If our cities are clogged with fumes its because they are increasing in size/population at an unsustainable rate and those people need to move about, what did anyone think would happen.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/12/2014 at 19:13

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - madf

The response of motoring journalists in general to a new car is directly related to the size of the maker's advertsing budget and the location of the road test.

If the test is in the UK but with lots of extras -like three days' accommodation (free of course) - then the car is good.

If the test is abroad on the Costa del somewhere warm and there is free travel and accommodaton then the car is brilliant.

Guess who spends the most on UK marketing? Ford, VAG and BMW..

Subaru spend peanuts on UK marketing.

(I am more than half serious,)

Some car reviews attempting to justify prejudices are risible, quoting facts on one car and ignoring them on another..

Just read some of the comments on Auto Express website..

Edited by madf on 17/12/2014 at 19:48

The above discussion reminds me that it seems an awful long time since we had motoring journalists like LJK Setright who, despite training as a lawyer, appreciated engineering and was an early champion of Japanese engineering in general and Honda and Subaru in particular. He loved the flat boxer engines, especially the H6, and he saw the 6 cylinder engine as a necessary requirement for a true gentleman's conveyance. Interestingly, he was an early advocate of CVT and it would be interesting to see what he would have made of Subaru's recent efforts with the Lineartronic. I think it is remarkable, especially when mated to the petrol turbo with such incredibly linear power delivery. Of course Jeremy Clarkson hates them on theoretical grounds as they're not a proper gearbox. It seems Ford are abandoning the dual clutch idea and going back to CVT. I'm sure VAG will have to dump the dreadful DSG sooner or later now that it's flaws have been exposed.
Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - balleballe
I'm sure VAG will have to dump the dreadful DSG sooner or later now that it's flaws have been exposed.

I woulnt bet on it, the flaws have been known for many years now yet they still sell.

How such a large company could get it so wrong is beyond me.

What makes even less sense is that people still buy them.

I think its because a lot of people here in the UK tend to lease their cars, or have company cars in which case they would be less bothered if the autobox broke.

Honda are going the other way - using a DSG transmission but with a torque converter - so two shafts but no clutches.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - Happy Blue!

Anyone who has driven a Subaru would not give them a poor review. Of the three Subarus we owned, my only critisim could be economy and lack of rear passenger space in the Outback . They never let me down and were wonderful driving cars.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - daveyjp

I still at some point would like a Subaru. I test drove a Legacy diesel when my annual mileage was close to 20,000 a year, but it was pre facelift, very dated inside and the diesel wasn't brilliant.

Local dealer however is typical family outfit and very accommodating when you are interested - throw you the keys and let you out alone for an hour or so.

Now my mileage is 10,000 (probably less this year) and petrol is back on the agenda I looked at the new Impreza hatchback, but it was just a little too small.

However the new 2.0 petrol engine has improved mpg and makes it more attractive with decent urban mpg (mid 30s) and VED at £145 a year so I'll be taking a look at the Forester next time I am passing the dealership.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - Falkirk Bairn

Honda are going the other way - using a DSG transmission but with a torque converter - so two shafts but no clutches.

Even more complicated - the new 2015 CRV will have a 9 speed TC auto in the UK (both for new 1.6 Diesel 160BHP & new 2 litre petrol) & in the USA a CVT box on the 2.4 new petrol - no USA diesel!

Maybe the CVT box does not take the diesel torque? Hence the difference of TC here and CVT in US, Subaru toughened their CVT box to take the XT and diesel.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - Sulphur Man

The over-revving characteristic of CVT which wound so many pea-brained car reviewers up has now been engineered out. Nissan's excellent Xtronic CVT pulls the latest Quashqai diesel along as if it were a TC auto.

As for Toyota's M Drive CVT on their 1.8 Valvematic petrol Avensis and Verso...one of the best auto transimissions at any price, and gets 40mpg no bother. Makes DSG an over-engineered irrelevance.

The over-revving characteristic of CVT which wound so many pea-brained car reviewers up has now been engineered out. Nissan's excellent Xtronic CVT pulls the latest Quashqai diesel along as if it were a TC auto.

As for Toyota's M Drive CVT on their 1.8 Valvematic petrol Avensis and Verso...one of the best auto transimissions at any price, and gets 40mpg no bother. Makes DSG an over-engineered irrelevance.

The Subaru CVT automatic is a development of Toyota's CVT (Subaru is part owned by Toyota) - just like the Subaru TC automatic was a development of the Jatco/Nissan TC autobox

The Jazz CVT has 7 fixed ratios and a torque convertor.

It is very smooth with seamless changes .

I treat most (not all) motoring journalists as illiterate and innumerate fools who have no skills at their own job. Once you take that stance, you realise what they say and what they mean

are .. frankly .. junk.

See this comment on Reliability...of the AUDI A3 by AutoExpress:

"The A3 is an impressively safe car, having scored the maximum five stars in Euro NCAP's crash tests. Of particular note is its score of 95 per cent in the adult occupant protection category.

Audi has stocked the A3 with impressive levels of big-car safety kit, too. These include optional radar-controlled cruise control that maintains a set distance to the car in front, lane-keep assist, hill-hold assist and a pre-sense system to prepare the car in the event of an accident. Another optional safety feature is a self-park system that will help you get into a tight parking space.

The A3 also put in an impressive performance in 2014's Driver Power survey - coming in 16th place out of 150 cars. "

www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a3

And what do they acttaully SAY about reliability?

Err nothing...

Edited by madf on 18/12/2014 at 11:41

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - Snakey

I've stopped paying attention to car magazine reviews these days as well. They seem to fall for the usual hype as well (like the mythical VW reliability)

I think it was Auto Express who were praising the germanic qualities of the Golf GTi they had on test. Read the review in detail and it had a replacement gearbox at something like 5k miles - under warranty yes, but still hardly a sign of quality.

I tend to read up on owners forums for more specific information about a car I'm interested in - perfect example was my Vectra. Slated by the press but I liked it generally (I had 3!) and the forum support was brilliant.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - quizman

I would like to buy a Subaru and will do so when the dashboard and interior are half as good as BMWs or VWs. Until then I'll stick to my 5 series and Golf.

I would like to buy a Subaru and will do so when the dashboard and interior are half as good as BMWs or VWs. Until then I'll stick to my 5 series and Golf.

Having owned a 2004 Forester I have to say the fourth generation (2013 on) is a massive improvement. It may not be up to BMW standards, but I would take the Subaru at £10k less and with better reliability, even if it is slightly cheaper looking. Regarding VW, my wife had 2 Golfs from new and the soft touch materials looked nice for about a year, but marked easily and wore badly. A lot of the so-called premium interiors are there simply to sell the cars in the showroom. What is the first thing most prospective buyers do in the showroom? They sit in the car. Talking to dealers it is incredible how many buyers never actually drive the car before they buy. Clearly the nice interiors are aimed at this market. Maybe Subaru are a bit naive, but I applaud their wish to make the engineering the priority.
Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - xtrailman

Last forester i drove i quite liked, the diesel was very good.

But it was over priced with the worst dash i have ever seen in any car. Way out of date.

I havent bothered to look at one since, and as for getting 30mpg with the petrol well it ok but thats about all, 14 years ago i had a Audi Quattro 1.8T 180bhp which gave me upto 33mpg on a run, but only 28 locally. So i don't really think 30mpg on a new subi is anything to write about.

Yes road tests do spend a lot of time on the ICE or whatever new name its now given, but thats because over recent years the systems have advanced quickly. My 2013 CX-5 is already dated and due to be changed in 2015.

Also i might mention the CRV is getting a 9 speed ZF auto in the UK which it needs to replace the pathetic 5 speed it uses at present, and the engine is 158bhp not 160, from a 1.6 diesel, torque is same as old 2.2 engine at 258 from memory.

Its not the first subi i,ve tested either also tried a 2L petrol boxer impressor years ago because i had read good things about the boxer engine noise, sorry it did nothing for me.

Unless it's turbo'd, none of the Subarus built in the last 10 years or so will sound any good as they "upgraded" from the simple, unequal length exhaust headers (which gave the off-beat sound) to a more complex spaghetti with equal exhaust headers which are quieter, smoother and more refined.

The turbo's still use unequal length headers but the turbo back pressure muffles much of the sound - apart from the boy-racer versions of course.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - Mike H

But it was over priced with the worst dash i have ever seen in any car. Way out of date.

I'm afraid that to me, it just means it was clear, easy to read, and had as few buttons as necessary. Cool, trendy and modern doesn't equate to good. I'm sure that my Saab 9-5 would have the same criticism levelled at it, but it's simple and easy to use.

Hmm I treat my car as a means of transport not as a men's club.

The power survey does cover reliability .

Hector G

"The above discussion reminds me that it seems an awful long time since we had motoring journalists like LJK Setright who, despite training as a lawyer, appreciated engineering and was an early champion of Japanese engineering in general and Honda and Subaru in particular. "

That man is sorely missed ! Does anybody have a copy of his article stating his opinionon automatics v/s manual gearboxes ? It was written too beautifully.

and lot s and lots of other things totally unrelated.

and lot s and lots of other things totally unrelated.

The JD Power survey is very subjective - and dependent totally on owners' expectations vs experience.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driver-power

Xtrailman, I know the Quattro - friend had one. Bear in mind the new XT (compared with Audi) has over 30% more power(237 bhp), 10% more torque, is probably about 200 kg heavier, gets to 60 mph in over a second quicker. It is also far less aerodynamic, so nearly 40mpg on a run is pretty good. I know of someone who logged 43.8 on a 100 mile run. Fuel consumption obviously suffers in town, but I cannot help but compare my XT with my previous Freelander SD4 which I ran for over 3 years and 35,000 miles and averaged only 30.1 mpg (calculated). I once achieved 37 mpg on a tank when touring, but it frequently dropped to 24.

When a 2.0 petrol turbo auto with a proper permanent 4WD is no worse (and possibly better) than a diesel Freelander with a primitive 4WD system you have to say that is not a bad achievement.

BTW, I had a 2.5 X-Trail petrol auto a few years ago which averaged about 27 mpg. If people think the interior of the new XT is low rent, they should look at a 2005 X-Trail!
Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - stivvy

We have owned a Forester 2.5 XT for almost 3 years, bought with 23k miles on the clock one previous owner, registered 2008 and manufactured in 2007. Up to about 6 months ago, at approx. 50k miles we could not fault it, a really lovely car in every way. The first thing to go wrong was two secondary air valves and pump. Replaced at a cost of over £1500. I've since discovered this has been a common fault and basically down to corrosion of the metal used not able to cope with the condensation on cold start-up. Next was a fault in the o/s wing mirror which swung into a fore-and-aft position and had to be manually pulled back into the right position. Replaced at a cost just South of £600. We then had a low-level knocking under the front floor pan which turned out to be worn bushes on trailing links connected to the anti-roll bar. This took quite a while for two garages to identify, another £350 ! And now the n/s wing mirror is going through the dance.

There seems to be a common theme here of low-spec./inappropriate materials being used in the manufacturing: that is non-anodised alloy for the valves, inferior bushes and faulty electronics. I wouldn't expect these failures at such a low mileage.

www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/ is intersting..

There are what is called £60 bills.. which are very frequent as bits on the Forester do go wrong.. quite often.

And the bodywork underneath at the rear and cross members rusts and rots badly.

Ther are records of - and cars for sale on Autotrader - having new injectors at 90k miles ( mainly diesels). £££s.

And if the clutch does go, getting the replacement fitted right is sometimes a problem...vibration , judder etc..

I would not buy one.. used and high miles... The secondary air valve problem is common...

Edited by madf on 21/12/2014 at 09:34

All cars start to fail with mileage, i don't think Subi is worst than any other.

The first thing to go wrong

The secondary air valves is a well known fault. Introduced on 2.5 engines for emission purposes. Someone on Pistonheads had the valves removed/disabled and ECU reprogrammed to cure this for a lot less than £1500. The 2.0 engines do not have this setup, which is one reason that I chose one. The other was the VED - £460 on the 2.5's. You can get the 2.5 on an early registration on the lower tax band, but I just felt that the 2.0 was a stronger engine reliability wise. The air valves/pump idea is a typical case of emissions getting in the way of a management system that was fine in the first place. I think the system was designed to reduce emissions on start up. These engines run quite rich from cold.

The mirror might have been available at a specialist or breakers although I'm not sure on this one.

Worn anti roll bar links and bushes are common on the Forester and happens on many other cars. These can be replaced cheaply and is an easy job, so labour costs should be minimal, £350 is ridiculous. Garage sound incompetent to me.

See if you can find a specialist near you, or an honest garage.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - stivvy

Much appreciate CORAX contribution. Need to defend my local garags about their charges for the two anti-roll links. Checked the bill and included was a new tyre, valet and repair to a front pillar cover where a clip had broken off when we had a windscreen replaced. Locating these "rumbles" is time-consuming and can't always be relicated. So the cost of the two links probably £125. Sorry to mislead.

On another point about the air valves corroding, isn't it a case of wrong materials being used or condensation not even been taken into account at the design stage ?

On another point about the air valves corroding, isn't it a case of wrong materials being used or condensation not even been taken into account at the design stage ?

I have no idea stivvy, I don't have them so I don't worry about them!

There may be more info on one of the Forester forums.

Stivv " We then had a low-level knocking under the front floor pan which turned out to be worn bushes on trailing links connected to the anti-roll bar. This took quite a while for two garages to identify, another £350 ! "

I own a '56 reg. Outback, derived from the Legacy, owned since new and mileage 91000. The front links were replaced a year ago,and the rear ones recently. The links are a steel with rubber bushes and that kind of thing does become noisy eventually. One of the bolts had corroded in and had to be burned out, but apart from the wrong links being supplied by the dealer there were no other problems. The front links cost £27.30 each and the rear links £22.64.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - groaver

500,000 sales in US in 2014.

Would a another importer make a better fist of it?

www.carscoops.com/2015/01/subaru-of-america-hits-5...l

Yes but most subaru sold in America are petrol.

Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - groaver

Very true.

I know the flat four isn't very economical but if diesel is increasingly attacked and taxed more heavily petrol engines might make a comeback.

I wonder if they could use the hybrid tech from their sister company.

Very true.

I know the flat four isn't very economical but if diesel is increasingly attacked and taxed more heavily petrol engines might make a comeback.

I wonder if they could use the hybrid tech from their sister company.

After 6 weeks with my new Forester XT I cannot understand why there aren't more around. I know the fuel consumption puts off people who think their BMW X3's will do 60 mpg. The XT is not without its faults, but what car is? Overall it is a fantastic car which does everything you could expect of a car - roomy, comfortable, fast, practical, AWD ability for all weather conditions, well engineered, reasonably economical considering the 245ps and very good value. Clearly our friends over the pond like them! Pound for pound I think they are difficult to beat. After all, the £10k you save on an X3 pays for an awful lot of petrol.
Subaru Forester XT - Why do Subaru get such poor reviews? - daveyjp
I visited my local dealer last week and had a look at the new Forester. If the 2.0 non turbo petrol auto does the tested mid 30s round town it will do for me.

Very well specced, appears to be very well bolted together and more importantly the dealer experience was how I like it.

There are a few ex demos now appearing and with a 5 year warranty buying a 2 year old ex dealer demo model isn't much of a gamble.

We spent Christmas in Scotland and Subarus are a common site, even a few XVs were spotted.

Lack of dealers and the fact you would never find a Subaru on a company car list are a couple of reasons why I don't think many are sold.

One issue I did notice is the totally unprotected wiring loom socket under the bonnet. An extra few inches of cable tidy would be my first job!

I've been perusing Outbacks/Legacy estates today, noted a few examples going very cheap, Diesels around the 100/110k miles mark requiring rebuild or replacement engines.

I wouldn't entertain one anyway, but doesn't make good reading for the marque.

I've been perusing Outbacks/Legacy estates today, noted a few examples going very cheap, Diesels around the 100/110k miles mark requiring rebuild or replacement engines.

I wouldn't entertain one anyway, but doesn't make good reading for the marque.

That's why I went back to petrol. Modern diesels are just too complex because of Euro 5 and it will be even worse with Euro 6. Subaru 2.0 and 3.0 petrol engines are extremely reliable. There have been issues with the 2.5 petrol though - premature HG failure and excessive oil consumption - but that engine is no longer available in the UK.
There have been issues with the 2.5 petrol though - premature HG failure and excessive oil consumption - but that engine is no longer available in the UK.

Is that the case with the NA 2.5 Legacy engine too, we already have an older H6 Outback which runs exceedingly well on LPG, thinking about a second one now circa 05/07 and whilst another 3.0 is the weapon of choice i've noticed some bargainous 2.5's kicking about, plus with a 2.5 i can go newer than the March 06 Dick Turpin VED grab which puts later 3.0's out of bounds.

Is the turbo Imprezza no longer a 2.5?

I visited my local dealer last week and had a look at the new Forester. If the 2.0 non turbo petrol auto does the tested mid 30s round town it will do for me.

On 50 mile back to back tests of the XE non turbo and the XT turbo on the same route I achieved just under 37 from the former and just over 35 from the latter. However, this was mostly country roads with a bit of motorway and a small amount of suburbs back to the dealer. I have had my XT up to just under 38 on a run,but most of my recent mileage has been short journeys and a lot of town driving. My last fill calculated to just under 29 mpg brim to brim ( the OBC is only about 2% optimistic compared to my Freelander which was nearer to 10% out). From what I've read on various forums you should achieve 35+ mpg with an XE overall, but I think this will be a bit optimistic for mainly town driving. They easily do over 40 on a run.

From my memory of discussions on Subaru forums when I owned one, the head gasket issue was fixed by a significant design change in the early '00s so shouldn't be an issue on modern engines.

From my memory of discussions on Subaru forums when I owned one, the head gasket issue was fixed by a significant design change in the early '00s so shouldn't be an issue on modern engines.

I hope so, that's part of the reason for preferring another 3.0, though the oomph is handy too and quiet with it, don't mind a normal engine needing CHG work but it's such a drama with the boxer designs so want to avoid any likely candidates.

My mistake - 2.5 is still being imported in the form of the WRX STi. Perusal of US Subaru forums suggests that a complete redesign of the 2.5 petrol engine in 2011 (particularly the cylinder heads) has eliminated the HG problem. Also, polls of owners in the US re oil consumption seems to indicate that this is no longer an issue with the 2.5.