Citroen c5 - Tugging/ misfire /hesitation under load - Saintrodders
I have a 2010 c5 2.0hdi 163 with 75k on it. Goes well but when put under load (accelerating from a junction or overtaking) it will often start misfiring. Not down a cylinder, just erratic. Occasionally this will put the anit pollution warning on. Car has a good service history and the main filters seem ok. Any thoughts?
Citroen c5 - Tugging/ misfire /hesitation under load - Railroad.
At least this isn't a low mileage diesel that might otherwise suggest it's only done shortish journeys. By what you describe the problem could be the EGR valve sticking open. The EGR valve should only be open during cruise conditions, and should close at idle and for full load. If it was stuck open the engine would be dragging back exhaust gasses just when they're not wanted, ie. for full power. A fuel injection problem is unlikely, but a scantool is what you need for some live data checks.
Citroen c5 - Tugging/ misfire /hesitation under load - kenwb

Easy check:

Blank off ERG system pipe at the air inlet end; not the exhaust end. It's the corregated stainless steel pipe joining the engine air inlet top left. I made an aluminium plate to blank the engine side and a wooden peg and elephant tape to blank the pipe end.

Take car for a run. If fault has gone away then problem is EGR valve or its connections to the EGR cooler. These pipe connections are metal to metal joints sealed by metal clips and if they leak they can cause loss of turbo pressure with hesitation particularly when cold. I sealed mine with Hylomar.

Second hand low mileage EGR valves are can be found on E-bay but it is worth dismantling and cleaning your own valve first. Use a felt tip to mark the position of the black fork spring housing before removing the 3 bolts attaching it to the body. If the spring loaded fork sticks at all, replace the valve. Don't attempt to dismantle the spring housing; it's a pig to put back together again.

Good luck.