Ford Ka - Ford KA missfire, ANY HELP APRECIATED - Rob04
Hi, I have a 2002 ford ka with the endura engine about 85k miles. a few days ago it went from running well to develop a heavy missfire, will not pull and the engine light has come on. with the engine running lumpy I can remove plug lead 2 and 3 and nothing changes, but when removing 1 or 4 the engine cuts out.

I have replaced the plugs, leads, coil pack, but the situation is still there. Any ideas?

Thanks Rob.
Ford Ka - Ford KA missfire, ANY HELP APRECIATED - elekie&a/c doctor

The coil pack fires 2 plugs at a time,so if only one pair are firing,then this could be an engine control unit problem or wiring fault.

Ford Ka - Ford KA missfire, ANY HELP APRECIATED - Rob04

would that mean try a new ECU and trace the wiring? Thanks for your help.

Ford Ka - Ford KA missfire, ANY HELP APRECIATED - elekie&a/c doctor

The wiring from the coil runs back to the ecu in the left front footwell,by passenger door.This needs to be checked first.If this is good ,and the connector to the ecu is ok ,then the ecu will be suspect. A new ecu will make this car a write off,second hand will need to be coded to the car.Best bet would be a repair on existing unit.

Ford Ka - Ford KA missfire, ANY HELP APRECIATED - The-Mechanic

Have you tried a compression test ? I've had a fiesta (same engine) do the same, misfire on cylinders 2 & 3. Turned out the head gasket had blown between the cylinders causing inter cylinder compression loss.

I'd be inclined to check this first just to rule it out before delving into the wiring harness and ECU as its a quick and easy test.

Good luck with it.

Ford Ka - Ford KA missfire, ANY HELP APRECIATED - Railroad.

Even without a compression tester you should be able to get a good idea of whether or not it has good compression on the two cylinders that aren't firing. Disconnect the crankshaft sensor to prevent the engine from starting and then crank it over. If it's obvious that it's cranking unevenly then you should suspect a loss of compression on the two adjacent cylinders, most likely caused by a failed head gasket.

If the comprssion is ok then next thing to do is to reconnect the crankshaft sensor and check for an HT spark on cylinders 1 & 4, and also on 2 & 3. The ignition coil is actually two coils in one pack. One side fires cylinders 1 & 4 and the other side fires cylinders 2 & 3. As has already been said these pairs fire together, known as wasted spark. If you have no spark on 2 & 3 then locate the plug on the side of the coil. The centre terminal is a common 12 volt supply to both sides of the coil. Theres's not much point in checking for this because you know the engine does run, and therefore this power supply must be present. The outer two wires are the ECM negative return to switch each coil. If one side is switching and the other side isn't then you need to check the wiring back to the ECM, or the ECM has a failed transistor inside and will need to be replaced. It will not be the first time one of these ECMs has failed in this way if it has.