Warranty - andycap
About to collect second hand car from a long standing dealer,have taken out 2 year warranty with the W.H group trading as "Drive assured" seems quite comprehensive anyone had dealings with such companies ???
Warranty - Dave N
If WH stands for warranty Holdings, do a search on the forum. You should then see how (un)comprehensive they can be.
Warranty - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I give this thread five minutes but while it's here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/motoring_answers/index.htm?id...2

Doesn't seen unreasonable.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Warranty - andycap
Thanks everyone not only am I about to buy one of the most despised cars in the forum but the MBI Co comes in for some stick as well!! still the wife likes the colour and if I only take it out at night perhaps no-one will see me
Warranty - Dizzy {P}
Doesn't seen unreasonable.>>

It does to me!!

In any case, that 'answer' applies to one isolated incidence and it originates from within the motor trade.

Sorry, I'm with DaveN on this.
Warranty - Toad, of Toad Hall.
>> Doesn't seen unreasonable.>>
It does to me!!

As Mark will tell us it's a principle of insurance.

You can't profit from a claim. So if I lose an old coat, claim and get given a new coat I must fund the difference.

This chap got a new cambelt fitted & the world of insurance says he must fork out for it.

Maybe you mean insurance is a con. Now that I agree with.

Why are we allowed to slag off warranty companies and other stuff by name here but not fast fit centres?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Warranty - Dizzy {P}
Toad,

The car qualified for a new head gasket+fitting under warranty but the owner to pay for the set of new head bolts that are an essential part of the work. I don't see any way that new head bolts can be classified as a tangible improvement to a motor vehicle.

Maybe the new timing belt could be seen as an improvement, but that would have put only a tenner or so on the cost as the labour to remove and refit was part of the head gasket work anyway.

We may differ on the details but at least we agree that the whole thing is a con. Well said!
Warranty - scruffythedog118
You also have to make sure the car is serviced by a VAT registered garage, (not matey around the corner who you know and trust) usually every 6 months or 6000 miles whichever comes first.
Warranty - NWS
As someone who is about to buy their first second hand car (formerly cosseted company user/chooser) this is valuable stuff and I'm pleased that despite Toad's fears the thread has lingered, so are there any warranties worth buying?
Warranty - smokie
Save your money just in case something goes wrong...whatever it is, you can bet your bottom dollar teh warranty won't cover it.

IMHO that is...
Warranty - oldtoffee
I've just decided to go with Warranty Direct on my 3 year old Passat TDi. It's £18.50 a month for their Gold Plan. They make it pretty clear that it isn't their intention to make "new from old" and as such they only fund a percentage of the parts cost and that percentage decreases from 90% at 60,000 miles through to 100,000 miles where it's 50%. They pay 100% of labour. After deliberating for too long, I figured it was worth it even though I know if I have to claim it will be a painful exercise. With the cost of VW parts and even independent labour rates at half that of VW main agents I regard it as insurance against a problem/failure during the next 12 months that would cost me £300 to sort. I've been told £300 wouldn't buy me 2 let alone 4 injectors.... The small print needs careful reading - they state if I missed any of the manufacturer stated service periods by 1,000 miles or more then they wouldn't entertain a claim. I missed one by 1500 but this was within VW's limit so I've had verbal OK from WD but am waiting for it in writing before I sign the Direct Debit form.
Warranty - andycap
After much consideration I am with NeilS £400 is only 4 hrs labour in a London main dealer so I am taking the warranty, the s/hand dealer has said that I only have to deal through him and he will sort?? they have been in business for ages so I will at least have someone to have a go at if it goes down the pan. (as a last resrt there is always the German Shephard ption that always works!!!)
Warranty - T Lucas
You know your car far better than any warranty company know your car and they are prepared to take your money,no questions asked,you need to think what are they getting out of it.Easy answer,£18.50 pm,you will not see a penny back,and thats without the added cost and aggravation of chasing them for a claim authorization.
Think how much of your £18.50 goes to the insurance fund to pay any claims,not very much when all the other costs are taken out,wages,marketing,legal fees,offices,postage,computers,phones etc,etc.
If, on the other hand,you just want to feel that 'if something happens, i'm covered'then go ahead,but my money says you will be disappointed.
Warranty - zm
You should always (as I have been advised) fit new head bolts when carrying out head work, especially for what they cost!>> Toad,
The car qualified for a new head gasket+fitting under warranty but
the owner to pay for the set of new head bolts
that are an essential part of the work. I don't see
any way that new head bolts can be classified as a
tangible improvement to a motor vehicle.
Maybe the new timing belt could be seen as an improvement,
but that would have put only a tenner or so on
the cost as the labour to remove and refit was part
of the head gasket work anyway.
We may differ on the details but at least we agree
that the whole thing is a con. Well said!
Warranty - Vansboy
If you are choosing a policy from Warranty Holdings - DRIVE ASSURED cover, simply ask for the dealer to enter the amount the policy actually COSTS him, in the policy document, no claim cashback section.
Assuming the dealer is including the policy cover as part of the deal & is not trying to profit from it,you can claim back this FULL VALUE, from Drive Assured if you haven't made a claim!
Maximum peace of mind - minimum risk to you!
Mark
Warranty - wemyss
I think Andycaps dealer saying that he will only have to deal with him is the critical part of these warranties.
Several years ag I took out a warranty on a used car from a main local Vauxhall agent.
The engine developed a fault which they diagnosed as a burnt out valve. The foreman who I knew produced the form on which I had to make a claim. "Write down exactly what I tell you and there won't be any problem" says he.
And he was correct. Had dealt with them before...
In contrast a mate of mine took out a warranty on his car with one of the biggest names in breakdown recovery.
Twicw when he had problems he was never able to get through on the phone to them. Says it cost him a fortune listening to music on the telephone and eventually he gave up and got the garage man up the road to fix the faults.

Warranty - zm
In fairness to Warranty Holdings, I use their warranty packages on the cars I sell, and never had a problem with them or their handling of claims; they've always paid out for me. BUT if you don't know how to deal with - or speak to - a warranty company (any of them) they will try to get out of a claim, as any insurance company does. With this in mind, I try to get the same garage to handle all warranty work, as they know how to deal with warranty companies. Problems are more likely to arise when a punter tries to deal with such companies, say's the wrong thing and lands him/her self in it. If I did'nt like WH, I would'nt use them.
Warranty - Dave N
I had to replace an a/c compressor on a customer's old Volvo 740 (the only part covered). As it was running the old gas, it also needed a new accumulator before filling with new gas (as directed by Volvo). When I told WH, their exact words were 'we don't pay for good engineering practice'and they refused to pay for the accumulator.

Having said that, they did pay the full labour rate and I received their cheque within 14 days.
Warranty - andycap
Thank you all for your comments,I will use the same garage/dealer who has said that he will deal with any claims arising direct with W.A so fingers crossed !!
Warranty - mab23
My ** policy (from an unnamed warranty company because I've been chastised for naming companies here before but you can search the forum archive for it)

* will only pay their "approved national labour rate" - 25 pounds per hour, which barely covers a back-street garage let alone a main dealer
* will not pay for consequential failure (i.e. something fails and your engine is destroyed, they will only pay for the item that initially failed)
* will not pay for the "consequences of overheating"

Yours may be different. I would make sure you get in writing or record on tape any claims made by your salesman when selling you the warranty.

IME the only way to get the warranty company to pay out is to return the car to the garage you purchased it from, and let them deal with the hassle with the warranty. The ** phone number is almost permanently busy (and not just engaged, but you have to go through a dial-one-for-this call gate before getting told they are busy and getting cut off). At least if you return the car to the garage you bought it from it's the salesman's problem to get the warranty cover he promised you when he sold you the warranty.

The Warranty Direct policy looks better, at least they are up-front about everything not burying it in the small print. Alternatively you may be better off with no warranty at all.

mike