Fiat Punto - Heater blower doesn't work - Ritz-dog

HI there I have a 56' plate fiat punto grande and the blowers have packed up!! I've tested ALL fuses and their fine, I had my multimeter on the 2-pin plug that goes directly into the fan and it's putting out 12v when the fan switch is on which i'm told is normal (the multimeter draws no current so it stays @ 12v). I've tested the earth connection and thats good too. I've tested the resistance between the 2 pins on the motor itself and even that comes up as 0 (which confuses me) and to finally confuse the hell ouf of me the motor span fine when i took it out and used a couple of spade connectors connected directly to a 12v car battery!!

I've read lots of posts saying that it could be the resistance pack but i'm sure it isn't cos there is power coming through the resistor (as stated above), i've also checked all the connectors of the resistance block, the back of the heater control panel and the fan itself and there's no signs of melting or heat damage.

What in the name of bug-bunny is wrong with this blasted fan!!

Any advice greatly appreciated as always :-)

D

Fiat Punto - Heater blower doesn't work - elekie&a/c doctor

You need to be careful here as the speed resistor is in the earth circuit ,so there will always be 12 volts at the motor. You would be better to use a test light/bulb to get a more accurate idea of what is not working,a multimeter does not take into account of any load.

Thanks i'll try and get hold of one asap and try that out

FYI i've also pulled the resistor pack out, visiual inspection all ok, no signs of overheating or damage that I can see. WIth a multimeter the fuse itself has a resistance of 0 ohms, tried resistance test on all pins in sequence and all came back 0 ohms. I take it this means resistance-wise it's ok, i just need to measure how many amps it puts out under load?

@ elekie&a/c doctor kudos my friend!!! Swapped the resistor pack and it worked a treat. Been told that volts are the hosepipe, amps are the water. Without the water, the hosepipe is useless

Fiat Punto - Heater blower doesn't work - CRISLTN

HI

WHERE THE BLACK BLOCK CONNECTOR IS IN THE PASSENGER FOOTWELL(BEHIND GLOVE BOX) RUN A WIRE FROM ONE SIDE OF THE BLACK CONNECTOR TO THE OTHER SIDE. BOTH BLACK WIRES. I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND DISMANTELED THE WHOLE DASH BEFORE I GOOGLED THE PROBLEM AND FOUND THIS EASY FIX. HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU.