Expired endorsements - L'escargot
The DVLA leaflet INS115 states that the fee for exchanging a paper licence for a photocard licence (which you have to do anyway when you change addresses) is £18, and the fee for the removal of expired endorsements is also £18. If I exchanged my paper licence for a photocard, would the removal of an expired SP30 be automatic and be included in the £18 fee for the licence, or would I have to separately request removal of the endorsement and pay an additional £18 for this (dubious) privilege ?

Is there any disadvantage to having an expired endorsement on your licence, and is it worth £18 to get it removed ?

L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Expired endorsements - Miller
Simply send off your licence with a change of address to someone you know (parent/friend) and then when you retrieve your new one fill it in with your old (current) address amd hey presto you have a clean licence without having to pay the £18 charge. This does work, they do not query why you are immediatley moving back to your old address!

Im a loser baby....so why don't you kill me?!
Expired endorsements - Dwight Van Driver
Tizz only £17 if you have lost a Licence.....

May I suggest that you address your problem to the experts at DVLA on EMail

drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk.

They really are a great bunch of people and only too willing to help.

DVD
Expired endorsements - smokie
"Is there any disadvantage to having an expired endorsement on your licence, and is it worth £18 to get it removed ?"

Maybe. The second time I was stopped for speeding I lamely said to the TO "It's a fair cop but I don't usually speed, honest". Looking at my licence with it's expired SP30, he said "that's not what it says here" and booked me.

Whether it made any difference I will never know...
Expired endorsements - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Maybe. The second time I was stopped for speeding I lamely
said to the TO "It's a fair cop but I don't
usually speed, honest". Looking at my licence with it's expired SP30,
he said "that's not what it says here" and booked me.

IIRC they are not supposed to be looking at your endorsement section.

Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Its part of the DL is it not?

Plod would want to know if you are approaching 12 points which will make the difference between issuing a Conditional Offer or booking you for a Court appearance for Disqualification.

DVD
Expired endorsements - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Its part of the DL is it not?
Plod would want to know if you are approaching 12 points
which will make the difference between issuing a Conditional Offer or
booking you for a Court appearance for Disqualification.

I guess I shouldn't believe all the urban myths I hear.

I too have a host of expired points. Are the rozzers likely to be more lenient if I can produce a virgin license or will they tend to think if it's clean there's room for one more?

CRTB: I had to pay 11 quid for my ID card after passing my Bike test. Daylight robbery. I was still glad to get it!!
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
You are too young Toad but when I first donned the cloth there was a quain Act called The Vagrancy Act 1824. This classed first offenders against the Act as:

Idle and Disorderly Persons, who through convictions went on to become:

Rogues and Vagabonds - who again went on to become:

Incorrible Rogues, the worst, who were immediately sent to Prison to await Trial at Quarter Sessions (Crown Court).

Old Plods were very interested on past form but since this Act has been repealed then I doubt young Plods will be interested in your spent points, its the current running ones they would be interested in.

DVD
Expired endorsements - smokie
In court expired points on licence were not mentioned - Clerk of Court took licence, and announced to the magistrate that I had a clean licence. (Latest offence - now expunged!)
Expired endorsements - RogerL
DVLA won't let you have a free change of address AND remove the endorsements. If you don't sent the fee to remove the endorsements, the licence will come back with the new address but with endorsements repeated. Courts won't take them into account once they've passed their "sell-by-date", 3 years for most, 10 years for others. This applies if you're in the 4th year of endorsement or decided not to have them taken off your licence.

I still have a TLnn (Failure to comply with traffic light) from 1972.
Expired endorsements - L'escargot
On the few occasions that I have hired a car, there has always been a question on the form "Have you ever been fined for a traffic offence?" or words to that effect.

Being HonestL'escargot I have always said "yes", even after the endorsement had expired. As far as I could see, the operative word was "ever", and to say "no" would have been a lie. Do I really need to admit (to anybody at all) that I have an expired endorsement ? If the law isn't interested in expired endorsements, then is anyone else entitled to ask ?

L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Expired endorsements - Mark (RLBS)
They are entitled to ask anything they like. However, you don't have to answer after the limitation period.

Just put something along the lines of "not in the last n years" if you're bothered.
Expired endorsements - MarkyMarkD
There seems to be some inconsistency here then. I had a TS20(?) in 1989 ish which disappeared when I moved house.
Expired endorsements - JamesH
Answering the first part of the original question, if you won't be changing address, then there would only be one £18 fee to both change to a photocard and remove the endorsements.

James