Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - Alunakis

Hi ,

I bought a Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI 140 3 HP and every morning when I start the engine or when the engine is cold , I hear a strange sound, a whining noise. I have posted on several forums to find out what would be the cause, maybe someone has an idea. I made a video when I start the engine in the morning. I think it sounds pretty good. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions .

http://youtu.be/-8luwsLjqik

Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - Peter.N.

Sounds like dry bearings on the starter motor.

Yes, you are right. But why after the engine warms, there is no more sound. If you have an explanation, please tell me more about this phenomenon. Thanks.

Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - The-Mechanic

My Seat Leon does the same, whines from cold, fine when warm. Basically it's heat expansion on the starter motor bearing. It's not a bearing in the normal sense, more of a phosphor bronze bush into which the spindle fits. When cold the spindle is a tighter fit and this is the cause of the noise. When warm, the heat slightly expands the motor lessening the friction and the noise goes.

Removing the starter motor and lightly lubricating the bushings should cure it, but I've never had the time or inclination to do mine as I work on customers cars all week and never have enough enthusiasm to look at mine ( typical mechanic huh ? ).

In this case, the bronze bush should wear out with time and the sound disappear. I do not think bronze is a harder material than the shaft material. But I know few people that the noise came from the first day when they took the car, and now they have 20000 km and the noise hasn’t gone. It will take longer time for bush widens? Sorry for my bad english.

Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - Peter.N.

Maybe something to do with manuafacturing tolerances, it used t o be quite common but you very rarely hear it now. If it bothers you get some lubricant into it, its probably the back bearing, otherwise don't worry about it.

Your english is excellent.

I've heard enough people saying that they are used with the noise and nothing serious will happen to the engine. So, I will try to live with it, until I will have time to fix it . Thanks all for helping me.

Is there anyone who can tell me where the fuel pump is (image, photo or drawing) positioned at 1.4 TSI 140 HP engine? Thank you very much.

Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - elekie&a/c doctor

There are 2 fuel pumps on these.One is in the tank,and the other is on the engine,driven off a camshaft.

It seems the blame is on the high-pressure pump (noise when it make pressure in fuel rail). Someone changed the starter and the noise remained . Now he is going to change the high pressure pump.

Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - xtrailman

I have never had a car that made such a noise, so its hardly common.

Yes, until now it seems that the number of engines with this noise is not high or no one has the solution. Maybe is a fabrication fault at few engines and is nothing else to do. Amen.

Hi,

It seems that the noise is normal for engines 1.4, 1.8 TSI . The noise is made by high pressure fuel pump , injectors and injector ramp . At cold start , in that split second, more fuel is pumped for start up because the engine is cold (you can see on RPM indicator, it rises at 1200 rpm as the noise lasts). Attach a video , at the end, injector noise is heard like the noise:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg1lhTlSZwE

So that is the reason the noise is heard. The engine is cold, the noise will be heard. The starter has nothing to do with it.

Skoda Octavia 3 1.4 TSI 140 HP - Whining sound at start cold engine - skidpan

We have a 2013 1.4 TSi 140 PS Seat Leon which is mechanically identical to your Skoda and I can assure you it does not make a noise like yours on start up.

But we have a 2007 Micra and for the last 2 years its being making a noise identical to yours, normally first thing but it can happen occationally at any time. We asked the dealer at the last service, he confirmed it was the starter and he said they had replaced several over the years on different Nissan models when the owner requested it. But he also confirmed that despite the noise they had never known one fail so on his advice we left it.

If your car is still under warranty (which I expect it must be since the Mk 3 only came out in 2013) then Skoda should replace it FOC.

I am not the only one with this noise, there are many, many owners with 1.4, 1.8 TSI engines (UK, Germany, Italy, France, Poland, Romania, Czech Republic) with this problem. I know two of them who changed the starter and the noise is still there. So, the noise source is not established.