07 Toyota Avensis T-Spirit 2.2 turbo diesel 150bhp - Warning lights - DR27

During the MOT 3 years ago the examiner was under the car during the shake test and there was a loud bang from the front of the car. He dived out from under it and then reinspected and found nothing. He passed the car and couldn't confirm what the noise had been. On leaving the centre I felt that the steering wheel was rocking at low speed. He had advised that I get the 4 wheel alignment checked as the near side rear tyre was starting to scrub on the inside. Got this done the next day. 3 weeks later I was checking the tyre pressure and the front near side tyre was so badly scrubbed that I had to put on the spare. Took it to my local mechanic who recommended that I get 2 new tyres on the front and get the 4 wheel alignment done again. Got this done at a different tyre depot and the guy said there was something peculiar about the steering, but wasn't a mechanic so couldn't pin point the problem. Mechanic drove the car and agreed that there was a wobble on the steering wheel. Put a 2nd hand steering rack in. Now when the car went over 10mph the VSC, ABS and TRC lights would light up. Went to Auto electrician who advised that the computer was telling him that the wheels were pointing at 13 degrees when they appeared to be straight. Put a 2nd hand sensor on steering column. Didn't work. Advised me that I take it to main dealer who had it for a week. They changed the sensor for a new one and carried out the 4 wheel alignment several times. No avail. They asked me to tell them if I ever got it fixed. Suggested I try replacing the ABS pump. Got my mechanic to do this with a 2nd hand one. No avail. To date I have spent nearly £2k. The car has 105k miles. Any suggestions?

07 Toyota Avensis T-Spirit 2.2 turbo diesel 150bhp - Warning lights - thunderbird

During the MOT 3 years ago

So all this has taken 3 years.

Must have past another 2 MOT's since.

If there was a serious isuue you would be dead by now.

07 Toyota Avensis T-Spirit 2.2 turbo diesel 150bhp - Warning lights - gordonbennet

My suggestion is to go back to the beginning and assume something broke or shifted when the MOT tester was shaking and levering the front end.

Doubtful a spring broke, it would or should have been spotted by now, but something gave way or moved and its never been diagnosed properly and people have been fixing things that weren't broke since then.

I'd remove all suspension bolts one by one first of all, especially pivot bolts, inspect and replace them in exactly the position they were removed (eccentrics) from, and i'd be examining everything steering/susp/subframes carefully for any signs of rust staining from a crack that shouldn't exist.

I'd also block the front end up securely and run the vehicle in gear whilst observing the wheels and driveshafts, also check driveshafts and CV joints carefully.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the car had an impact with a kerb or similar at an oblique angle previously and things are out of true or slightly bent and its not been spotted, maybe an hour with a tape measure might illuminate things, first off check wheelbase both sides.

Lastly i find it very useful if anything about the way a car handles or feels to get an assistant to drive it for me over a reasonable distance whilst i follow in another vehicle and observe how the car behaves from all angles over various terrain, things like crabbing and poor shockers or a weak spring show up like a sore thumb doing this.

edit, and don't neglect to fully check the rear end too.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/10/2014 at 16:13

07 Toyota Avensis T-Spirit 2.2 turbo diesel 150bhp - Warning lights - DR27

Thanks for this Gordonbennet. What you are saying makes good sense. I'll come back when I've tried this.