Mazda 3 - Diesel engine 'ticking' - Rudlin

Hello,

Let me introduce myself first. I love driving, yet know very little about cars, therefore seek your help. Greatly appreciated.

It seems, as of lately, my Mazda 3, 1.6. diesel engine is making some 'ticking' noise. Worries me alot.

I had hard time telling where is it precisely coming from, yet I'm almost certain it's the engine, for that when I slighly rev it 'ticking' proportionaly intesifies.

Here is the video of what it sounds like: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODlcSw0xb74&feature=yo...e

1. Mileage: 120k
  2. Cambelt changed 10k miles ago
  3. Oil level: normal
  4. There is a slight oil leak (shown at 0:06)

My driving is not erratic. I don't get engine to go lower than 1,5k revs and it hardly ever goes over 2,5k revs.

The last thing that was done is the throttle body. It was cleaned up by the reputable mechanics as idling was rather rough, otherwise I did notice slight misfire when driving about on cold engine. But it was not persistent.

Thanks for your replies.

Mazda 3 - Diesel engine 'ticking' - elekie&a/c doctor

This car is fitted with the Ford/Peugeot tdci engine.Very often the ticking noise is an issue with the injector seals failing and causing blow-by of combustion.Take it to a garage to get it checked.

Thanks, hopefully it won't be as bad as last time I hear strange sounds from underneath the bonnet.

Mazda 3 - Diesel engine 'ticking' - The-Mechanic

I second the possible injector seals blowing. Looking at the two centre injectors I'd say it's likely to be them (they both look a little damp/discoloured compared to No's 1 and 2)

Get it confirmed at a garage and change all four injector seals.

Best of luck.

Mazda 3 - Diesel engine 'ticking' - Railroad.
I also agree with an injector seal leaking. Often they are obvious and have crusty oily deposits around the base of the injector.

Thank you all for replies. I was two of the injectors needed resealing.

Mazda 3 - Diesel engine 'ticking' - The-Mechanic

Glad to hear it's sorted and it's nice you took the time to keep us all updated. So many posters just disappear into the ether once they get their problem sorted, so I for one applaud you.