Bike on Ferry to France. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I've checked UKRM and would welcome a second opinion here.

Anyone taken a bike across the English Channel?

I plan to use the tunnel to cross for a weekend. What's it going to cost, how does it compare with ferries, is it cheaper to go on a Thursday night than a Friday morning?

Should I simply go by ferry?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Bike on Ferry to France. - DenisO
I use the tunnel quite a lot for booze & fag runs and had an e.mail from them the other day detailing some very good offers. As low as £9 for a late afternoon return.
I'm sure they are feeling the pinch of a possible terrorist assault so are offering some great deals.
Have a look at their web-site.
Around 44 quid.

Not bad. And quick too IIRC.

What moron had the idea of building a tunnel then loading the cars onto trains?

It's not even job creation because they'd need tow trucks etc to replace the railway staff. It's just pointlessly wastefull.

Grrr.
--
Bike on Ferry to France. - PhilW
What's UKRM? If bike is on roof rack may well cost you more 'cos won't fit in "normal" carriage. Ferry is "usually" cheaper but weigh against that the cahnce of seasickness at this time of year and the time saved on the chunnel. Go to Eurotunnel/Seafrance/POSL sites and compare prices. It certainly varies by day and time and month of crossing.
Bike on Ferry to France. - Phil I
Dont really fancy lifting the Bandit onto the roof rack. Do you
ToTH?
Bike on Ferry to France. - PhilW
Silly me - might have known that a bike in Toad terms has b***er all to do with pedal power!
Dont really fancy lifting the Bandit onto the roof rack.
Do you
ToTH?

Everything I read on here is like a challenge! I'm just gonna *have* to do it now!!!
--
Bike on Ferry to France. - JonM
Took the bike across on the shuttle a couple of years ago. Seemed very painless but relatively expensive at the time (can't remember how much unfortunately).

I turned up a bit early and they just shoved me on the next train. Put the bike on the side stand and just keep one hand on it when the train starts and stops. Was roaring through France withing about 50 minutes of turning up in Folkestone. Easy.

Not used the ferry but I would feel a bit nervous about leaving all my luggage strapped to the bike on a ferry (soft luggage - doesn't lock to the bike) and there was too much to lug about. Also as I was travelling on my own was keen to get at those French N roads rather than hang around for 2 hours on a ferry on my own.

Horses for courses really.

Cheers - Jon

Bike on Ferry to France. - Phil I
ToTH Son plus wife + 2 small children & MIL all aboard a Subaru
Legacy Estate going Ski-ing French Alps Travelling Dover-Dunkirk via Norfolk Lines on special winter return price of £79. Should check to see what sort of offer they are doing on 2 wheeler.
Bike on Ferry to France. - TeeCee

>> What moron had the idea of building a tunnel then loading the cars onto trains?

The alternative would be drilling a pair of train tunnels and a pair of rather larger road tunnels.

Then contemplate what happens when you fill 22 miles of road tunnel with trippers liberally soused in cheap French plonk.

Bike on Ferry to France. - bafta
Toad, for a short duration trip the shuttle is better. It is much quicker and almost hassle free. Although the journey time is only about >1hr the loading and unloading is significantly quicker which makes a time difference of up to 1.5hrs. Also, at this time of the year, your crossing will not be affected by the weather. The terminal exit is easier to negotiate as well. There are some very good deals available offpeak and the tunnel/ shuttle is a masterpiece of modern engineering. I also agree with the comments about looking after your gear. Since you stay with your bike for the 35mins of the crossing this is not an issue.
Bike on Ferry to France. - HonestGiGi

I travel across to France frequently as my son lives with his wife in Ardres, so the route Dover-Calais is very very convenient for me. If you decide to try Eurotunnel, just note that they don't accept vehicles running on LPG. I find the prices of ferries to France through xxxx very reasonable these days, as there are many competitive companies such as MyFerryLink, P&O, DFDS all doing the same route. Usually costs me around £22 for 1 day return or about £40 for unlimited stay. Definately try it, it's a great experience.

Edit - attempt at free plug removed.

Edited by Avant on 05/02/2013 at 22:09

Bike on Ferry to France. - Collos25

Ferrysavers in my opinion charge exactly the same as can be bought direct from the operators only you loose some of the benifits of booking direct.I approached Ferrysavers about this and they said they could not (or would not) undercut the operators.

Bike on Ferry to France. - Bromptonaut

You need to shop carefully as the operators have reverted to practices of a decade ago and charging different prices according to duration of stay, Simple pick/mix of outward/return crossing seems to be on way out.

We got a very good price with Eurotunnel, £59 for out and return with no more than one overnight - out on 20th back on 21st. All three ferry co's wanted over £100 but any duration fares were undercut by 5 or 10 day deals.