Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - stevenStefano

Hi there. Been lurking for a while and I'm wondering if anyone can help. I have a 2011 Fabia Monte Carlo and I have an annoying problem. In the winter months the windscreen mists up very quickly to the point that I can't see out. If I turn the A/C on or open the windows it goes away quickly but in my mind I shouldnt have to. It happens to a lesser extent over the summer too. Anyone have any clues as to how this is happening or what I can do to fix it?

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - galileo

If your aircon/heater is set on 'recirculate' instead of 'fresh air' this will always happen (unless you can drive without breathing, that is.)

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - Ian D
Leave the Aircon on all the time and leave set to recirculate and you will not have a problem, the Aircon will dehumidify the air in the car and you won't mist up.
Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly make sure the cabin filter is in good order and not blocked.Any dampness within the car will make the problem worse,so check carpets/interior for wet patches.Definitely not a good idea to leave the system set to recirculate.Taken from the drivers manual"the recirc air setting should be used primarily in case of unpleasant odours from outside.The windows will tend to mist up faster if recirc is selected,switch to outside air asap"

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - galileo

If your aircon/heater is set on 'recirculate' instead of 'fresh air' this will always happen (unless you can drive without breathing, that is.)

I should have said that this assumes aircon is NOT turned on, which seems to be the OP's usual practice. As he said, if turned on, it clears OK.

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - gordonbennet

Some cars don't fog up at all even if aircon isn't used, my old MB doesn't have aircon and is one of most condensation free cars i've ever had.

Can't understand why you must have the aircon switched on to prevent misting on any vehicle, flawed design.

Volvo lorries were bad for this, engine had to run to operate the PTO whilst loading, after about 20 mins the windows were streaming unless you had the aircon switched on.

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - Big John

You get more condnsation initially on start up with cars fitted with air con as the cooling process dehumidifies (hence clears windscreens well when running) but leaves residual moisture, which condenses on the windscreen on startup - until the aircon kicks in that is.

Edited by Big John on 27/09/2014 at 00:40

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - daveyjp
To solve the problem. Press aircon button so it is on. Never touch the button again.

Modern aircon systems are far more efficient than those of old and don't affect mpg to a great extent.
Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - ifekas

I have found that the problem with leaving the a/c button on in the autumn/winter months is that on some (older) cars the a/c compressor doesn't operate below a certain temperature (I think it was supposed to be 3 degrees C).

What I found used to happen was that even if one didn't have the recirc on, if when one last used the car, the a/c was on, when one next started the car, the a/c evaporator would be damp and conseqently the screen would mist up terribly, but without one having the ability to clear it with the a/c, even though the a/c button was switched on.

I haven't had this issue so far with my current Kia but I've not had the Kia that long to confirm in what temperatures the a/c operates. My previous VW group cars (Skoda and SEAT) had this issue, and I thought perhaps a condensate drain may have been blocked, but was told this was not the case.

The problem I have is that why should I need the aircon on? I have heard if the pollen filter in the dash is clogged up it can cause issues so I'll look into that, but I don't want to have the aircon on all the time, I see it as a fault with the car if I need it on to see out of the windscreen

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - Bolt

Some cars don't fog up at all even if aircon isn't used, my old MB doesn't have aircon and is one of most condensation free cars i've ever had.

Can't understand why you must have the aircon switched on to prevent misting on any vehicle, flawed design.

Volvo lorries were bad for this, engine had to run to operate the PTO whilst loading, after about 20 mins the windows were streaming unless you had the aircon switched on.

I think its because due to design the rear air vents have moved to a position where there is hardly any air flow, some older cars had them behind rear side window or thereabouts

then they were moved to below bumper level impeding/non existent air flow

Skoda Fabia - Windscreen permanently mists - Robin the Technician

Hi,

My Daughters Corsa does exactly the same. My cure was to put a few of those 'silica' bags you get in products that need to keep moisture out. Stuck them on the dash - Works fine for me considering the screen used to be dripping wet in the mornings.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am

Well if anyone reads this, I changed the pollen filter and it seems to have pretty much fixed this. The air con works much faster and even when it's not on I've had no misting problems. Best tenner I've ever spent