Borrowed car from brother - it's been stolen... - orangebird
Hi. With my brothers permission, I borrowed his car as mine was at the mechanics, and he was going on holiday. Travelled to see family last night, and the car has been stolen overnight. I drive his car via TP insurance of my policy, so I'm not named on his and my insurance doesn't cover theft of any other car. Will his insurance still pay out on the theft? I have reported the theft, got a CR number etc. ironically, one of the family members I was visiting is a police officer. On night shifts :0/ TIA.
Borrowed car from brother - it's been stolen... - skidpan
my insurance doesn't cover theft of any other car.

Your insurers will not pay, that is 100% certain if theft is excluded.

Will his insurance still pay out on the theft?

If your brothers car is not covered for other drivers it is probably a grey area regarding theft when its being used by a driver not named on the policy.

Insurers are famous for using whatever loophole they can to avoid payment and you may have given them one.

Whatever you do don't lie about who was using the car. Insurers have a habit of discovering the truth especially since you have reported the theft. It could have an impact on you taking out policies in the future.

Best of luck

Borrowed car from brother - it's been stolen... - orangebird
No, I know my insurance won't pay out. I've no intention of lying.
Borrowed car from brother - it's been stolen... - Nutkey

My understanding (IANAL) was that the TP cover on your policy only covered the car while it was being driven - not while it was parked. When parked up without you in it, it's covered by your brother's insurance.

Borrowed car from brother - it's been stolen... - TedCrilly

I agree with that. Your brothers policy covers theft, the fact you were the last to actualy drive it shouldnt have any bearing on this......unless there is something buried in the T&Cs.