Volvo XC90, Landrover Freelander, - Freelander 2 v. Discovery 3 v.XC90 v. Touareg - Ashley Line

Dear All

I am looking to sell my Ford Kuga Titanium and use some of the money to buy a 4x4,

I cannot however decide between the following:

Landrover Freelander 2

Landrover Discovery 3

Volvo XC90

VW Touareg

I am looking to spend £7-8k,

My main fear is that the freelanders boot is too small, how does this compare to the Kuga?

I do not believe the quoted 755l of space is correct? Are there any real world dimensions for the actual boot size?

What are peoples views on the above choice??

Thank you

Volvo XC90, Landrover Freelander, - Freelander 2 v. Discovery 3 v.XC90 v. Touareg - skidpan

Not all manufacturers measure boot capacities the same. Simply do what I do when buying a car, take a tape and go and look at the cars and measure the sizes.

That way you can only blame yourself for the wrong decision and not the makers info.

One example, when we bought the wifes Kia Ceed Estate the Skoda Octavia Estate was its main competitor. Kia said the boot space was 530 litres, Skoda claimed 605 litres. Went out with the tape and both were about right with one exception. In the Kia there was a well under the boot floor that contained a space saver with ample room to fit a full size wheel with no loss of capacity. In the Skoda you got a can of glue and a pump. Add a full size spare and the raised boot floor kit and the capacity was down to just under 500 litres.

Buyer beware.

Volvo XC90, Landrover Freelander, - Freelander 2 v. Discovery 3 v.XC90 v. Touareg - madf

Not all manufacturers measure boot capacities the same. Simply do what I do when buying a car, take a tape and go and look at the cars and measure the sizes.

That way you can only blame yourself for the wrong decision and not the makers info.

One example, when we bought the wifes Kia Ceed Estate the Skoda Octavia Estate was its main competitor. Kia said the boot space was 530 litres, Skoda claimed 605 litres. Went out with the tape and both were about right with one exception. In the Kia there was a well under the boot floor that contained a space saver with ample room to fit a full size wheel with no loss of capacity. In the Skoda you got a can of glue and a pump. Add a full size spare and the raised boot floor kit and the capacity was down to just under 500 litres.

Buyer beware.

You don't need to phyically measure.

Just download teh brochures.

Easier and cheaper.

Volvo XC90, Landrover Freelander, - Freelander 2 v. Discovery 3 v.XC90 v. Touareg - skidpan

You don't need to phyically measure.

Just download teh brochures.

Easier and cheaper.

You have obviously not read my post.

When I am spending a fair chunk of my earnings on any product i want to actually look at it and not a piece of paper printed off on a computer. Its a start but nothing beats a close up viewing. Read the small print at the end, they do not garantee the info is correct, they could print anything.

Bit like getting a Tai bride.

Volvo XC90, Landrover Freelander, - Freelander 2 v. Discovery 3 v.XC90 v. Touareg - RT

Don't ignore the Hyundai Santa Fe - much bigger internally than the Kuga or the Freelander - and the budget build quality has long gone but still much better value-for-money than the others on your list.

Volvo XC90, Landrover Freelander, - Freelander 2 v. Discovery 3 v.XC90 v. Touareg - NARU

I looked at the same group of cars some time ago [when they were newer, but I had a larger budget].

In the end it came down to the Toureg and the 'baby' 120-series Landcruiser. I was offered a Landcruiser at a decent price so went for that.

I don't know if Landcruisers are down to your budget yet. I was offered £16.5k for my 07 low mileage one as trade-in earlier in the year.

But your criteria might be different to mine - I was interested in ownership costs and reliability, getting a car heavy enough to safely tow my caravan, and with some decent abilities in snow.