bmw 316i touring (2004) - engine flooding - pscott78

hi all having a problem with first initial start the engine is flooding just wondering what is causing this? If i pinch the pipe that goes on the fuel injector rail and then turn it over it will start but other wise it wont ie getting to much fuel any help much appreciated thanx

bmw 316i touring (2004) - engine flooding - Railroad.
Check the fuel pressure regulator to make sure it's not stuck closed, and check the fuel return pipe to make sure it's not kinked or restricted. Either of these will stop or reduce fuel flow back to the tank which will result in overfuelling.
bmw 316i touring (2004) - engine flooding - focussed

Unless there is something seriously amiss with the fuel injection system I can't quite see how pinching a pipe can enable the car to start unless that pipe is the return line from the faulty regulator and pinching it is restoring fuel rail pressure which is allowing the engine to start?

Thanks for your reply but by pinching the fuel pipe i am stopping any more fuel getting to the injectors and the car is starting with the fuel its got then as is about to die i let go and its fine but its a bit of a challange getting under the bonnet before it dies to do this

Thanks for your reply but is the fuel pressure regulator built in to the filter?

i have replaced this with a new one or is there another else where?

bmw 316i touring (2004) - engine flooding - thunderbird

Thanks for your reply but is the fuel pressure regulator built in to the filter?

i have replaced this with a new one or is there another else where?

Did the trouble start after you replaced the filter. If it did there is your problem.

no i was driving and had 2 short bursts of fuel starve then would not run after i turned it off so done the checks fuel,spark,fuel pump,an checked the timing chain hadn't jumped then realised it was flooded,changed the filter and still not starting properly also had an auto spark on it for 2hours with no effect am at a dead end thanks again