mazda 6 diesel 2000cc sport diesel - mazda 6 2008 2000cc diesel noisey engine - JOHNSPEARSON34

mazda 6 sport 2008 2000cc diesel.

Bought the car to save money on fuel and traded in a Civic type r 2007 which I had no probs with. Bought it mainly on looks and based on road tests and crucially for more MPG yes what a fool I am!!!!! Should have known better as I never trusted the RX8 that I had which was reliable but I simply never trusted it.

Anyway heres my story...

Went to buy some stock from Cheetam Hill approx 13 miles from where I live which is Partington as I got near deatination the DPF light was flashing but car was driving fine so wasnt overly concerned.

On the return journey I came off the m60 was in 2nd or third gear when the car began to accellerate on its own at maximum revs looked at my feet took foot off accellerator and the car was still accellerating put clutch down and coasted to a set of lights approx 800m down the road revs still at what I recall as being maximum,

Forgot to mention the clouds of thick black smoke pouring out of the exhaust.

Car stalled and then restarted now sounds very very rough as if the big ends have gone but doesnt have the grumble underfoot.

Checked oil and that is approx 1inch above the max level and definately has a huge amount of diesel in.

Oil pressure light isnt on.

When starting up the car sounds rough and stinks of diesel,

My questions are and am hoping there are a few mazda techs on here

1. The rough running could this be down to the oil being so diluted that it makes the engine sound rough?

2.Has anyone heard of these accellerating on their own?

3.As the oil pressure light isnt on is their a chance the big ends are still ok

4.Should I get oil changed and let the car run and see if it smoothes out and uitens down

5.Sell as spares repair and if anyone has an in idea of a value for one of these with a shot engine I know the crusher will give 300.00 but am presuming that out there there must be some one with an accident damaged one who could do with a mint shell

6 Should I selll and get as much as I can for parts i.e

mirrors 50

wheels 400

cylinder head 400

turbo 250

interior 300

stereo 140

bonnet 100

wings 50

doors 50

airbags 100

am no expert on prices but think in parts I woud get a lot back from what I paid am not rich so even repair at the moment is prohibitive.

and yes I certainly wont ever entertain getting another Mazda there are many cars out there that although older would cost considerably less and be far more reliable BMW e46 330 325 5 series with 3.0 petrol engine and much more.

My gut feeling is the engine is knackered but it would be interesting to know if the engine sounds really rough when the oil is diluted massively.

Have bought a cheap runner as needed a car for work so will be looking at options over next few weeks.

any advice would be truly appreciatted many thanks john

mazda 6 diesel 2000cc sport diesel - mazda 6 2008 2000cc diesel noisey engine - The-Mechanic

What you describe is a typical "runaway engine" situation where the engine is running on oil / oil mist and not on the diesel fuel. Usual causes are a worn turbo, oil seals, pistons / rings and / or cylinder bores.

Once a diesel engine starts ingesting it's own oil from whatever source, it will run flat out even if the ignition is switched off as it is now self perpetuating, where the faster it revs, the more oil / mist it takes in and the engine will continue to rev out at maximum ( or higher ) revs. The cycle can only be stopped by either stalling the engine by applying the brakes hard at standstill and releasing the clutch in top gear in a manual car ( usually this destroys the clutch / gearbox in extreme cases ), blocking off the air intake so oxygen to ignite the "fuel" is cut off, or using a CO2 fire extinguisher in the air intake ( if it's an automatic, or a manual even ).

If your engine stalled out on it's own, that usually means it's destroyed itself and there's major, terminal internal damage so basically it's toast.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 13/08/2014 at 23:34