Skoda Yeti 4x4 140/Skoda Octavia 1.6 Estate - General - Skodafan

A boring but interesting statistic is that after 53800 miles the average speed on my Yeti has been 29 mph! This reflects a daily commute from near Haslemere to Crawley, usually stuck behind a lorry on the A roads I use or a slow car on the B roads. Average MPG has been 47.9.

I bought the Yeti in the hope that it would retain a bit more of its value than the norm and this has proved to the case. I have now part exchanged it for an Octavia Estate and I would thoroughly recommend anyone considering doing similar and wanting to stick with diesel to do as I did and go for the 1.6 diesel rather than the 2.0. It has more than enough power, is very quiet and smooth particularly with the 7 speed DSG box and the money saved over the 2.0 is sufficient to go for Elegance trim which gives satnav, bluetooth and a decent DAB radio plus automatic wipers and headlights. Added to which it is beautifully built and frankly I prefer mine to a new Audi A4 Estate which we also have at work. The cost saving vv the Audi is of course is a no brainer.

Skoda Yeti 4x4 140/Skoda Octavia 1.6 Estate - General - Avant

Interesting point, Skodafan. I would instinctively go for the bigger engine given the choice, as in the sort of varied driving I do you get more performance with little loss of economy.

But your commute isn't exactly varied driving - I know the roads in question - and I can see why the 1.6 makes perfect sense for you. It all depends on the type of use that a car will be put to.

And I agree with you about the cost saving v. Audi. I suppose the higher quality of fittings in an Audi is worth an extra £1,000 or so - but the difference between a Skoda (or SEAT) and the equivalent Audi A4 is much greater than that.

Oddly enough the Audi A3 is rather better value: looking at the various 1.4 TSI options it's no more expensive than the Golf, and the price gap between it and the SEAT Leon and (bigger of course) Octavia isn't so large. And it'll hold its value better and you can choose your suspension settings.

Skoda Yeti 4x4 140/Skoda Octavia 1.6 Estate - General - KB.

If you look at the Briskoda site (Yeti section) you'll see that there is a school of thought, particularly from one or two well informed and all round good chaps, that feels that the Yeti (and Skoda generally) is becoming too dear (especially with 'higher up the range' specs) and that one or two premium brands are, increasingly, providing better value. Certainly I see that a 1600cc Mercedes B Class in SE trim and with the Merc. version of DSG, can be had for £20k at DtD...and that C Class's at the bargain basement end of things can be had for reasonably affordable sums. Comments here re. Audi noted - it seems that you have to do your homework but that an argument can be made for the "better" makes especially if depreciation was taken into account. Would imagine insurance and servicing generally whops the costs up though.