3 child seats in back of medium size hatchback - ilovecars

I know the issue of 3 child seats in back of medium size hatchback has been done to death on the internet, so I apologise for that.

My research on the internet has let me to believe the following:

1. It is likely to be possible to have 3 backless boosters in the back of most cars. However these offer less protection than high back, or infant 5 point harness.

2. MPVs like Renault Scenics and Citroen C4s have 3 distinct seats in the back so likely to be able to have 3 child seats. But not everyone likes this style of car.

3. I found uncertainty as to whether the more popular medium hatchback cars like Ford Focus, VW Golf, or Opel Astras will allow 3 child seats in the back. For example, there is a Which test (article available on internet if you google) that suggests that Astra's allow 3 seats in the back, but Focus's don't.

4. However i have found theads on the internet that suggest that its possible to get 3 child seats in the back of Focus's but not Astras. So im confused.

So I would be grateful if anyone can advise if they have ever seen 3 child seats in the back of a Golf, Focus, Astra or similar model. Preferably in a 2010 or newer car.

I dont want to wait till I have a new car before going to Tony Kealy's or Eurobaby to test if/what 3 car seats work together.

Edited by ilovecars on 29/07/2014 at 15:21

3 child seats in back of medium size hatchback - Dabooka

I'm not sure it's that simple; we have two child seats for our toddler (one in each car) but they're aren't the same dimension despite both being Isofix. I can't help but think that even the type / brand of seat could have an impact as well.

I'm sure someone more learned will contribute soon enough.

3 child seats in back of medium size hatchback - retgwte

Depends how old the children are, their size, and the size of the seat(s) you want to use.

3 child seats in back of medium size hatchback - Happy Blue!

Also remember that child seats sit snugly into the individual seats of an MPV. In a regular hatch or saloon, the rear seat is dished for two with the middle perch being a hump. Not ideal. Also, expect very limited space to lean over to clip belts etc. I would always go for an MPV with three kiddies in the back, all in some form of child seat.