Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - AndyCharmans

I was just wondering if anyone had suffered the same as me? Driving along - quite happily - under 40mph and suddenly a central warning message came on in the dashboard cluster stating "indicative light failure" - it flashed up and then shut down the entire engine, engaged the brakes and I came to a complete stop. I turned off the ignition - thankful no-one was behind me - and then on stage 1 the radio came back on - so I had power - but nothing else. I waited for 5 minutes wondering what to do - and then tried again (as you do!) and it all came back on and I got home ok. I am off to the garage - but would love to know if anyone has any knowledge of what this might be???? Many thanks Andy.

Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - craig-pd130

I'd suspect a corroded or otherwise dodgy main earth connection from the battery, or a dirty / corroded main connector in the wiring loom somewhere. Could be a dicky fuse -- those are more likely to blow (so you'd have no power until it was replaced) but I wouldn't completely rule them out.

"Indicative light failure" is a strange warning message, I'd suggest googling that and see what results you get, too.

Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - mss1tw

I'd suspect a corroded or otherwise dodgy main earth connection from the battery, or a dirty / corroded main connector in the wiring loom somewhere. Could be a dicky fuse -- those are more likely to blow (so you'd have no power until it was replaced) but I wouldn't completely rule them out.

"Indicative light failure" is a strange warning message, I'd suggest googling that and see what results you get, too.

Isn't that just a Google translation of "Indicator bulb failed"?

Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - elekie&a/c doctor
Something more sinister ,I suspect.Does this model have the push in type key with the electronic steering lock?
Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - AndyCharmans

This is an 08 model. Normal flip out metal key. It was like a computer switching off because of a bad line of code. After 5 minutes it re-started quite normally - so not a fuse. No warning lights at all. it turned on the electronic hand-brake - which was the scarry bit - if that happened again on a motorway at speed.

Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - gordonbennet

No warning lights at all. it turned on the electronic hand-brake - which was the scarry bit - if that happened again on a motorway at speed.

Thats the bit i don't like, i have a serious problem with electronics being able to take control like this either by design or fault, fast forward a few years when steer by wire is becoming common and there's a glitch and you don't need much of an imagination as to possibilies.

Worrying is that its not just cars, lorries (presumably coaches too) also have radar guided CC now, so any vehicle could be cruising down a crowded wet motorway and suddenly throw a wobbly at any time and apply ALL the brakes fully, nice thought.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/07/2014 at 11:58

Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - Manatee

Might stop people tailgating, GB!

More worryingly - I don't want to join the VAG haters, especially having just bought one, but VAG does seem to have produced some epidemically unreliable engines in the last few years. How often do we read of complete engines failures on Hondas, say?

Edited by Manatee on 28/07/2014 at 12:10

Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - elekie&a/c doctor
I wonder if this is the same fault that golf models suffer,where one bad injector causes the whole engine to shut done.
Audi A6 2.7Tdi estate - Audi A6 complete engine failure - Hamsafar

Must be indicator light failure which would be unrelated to the engine but as they ocurred together, it must be an electrical problem on multiple systems such as a supply fault or maybe a faulty instrument cluster?.
Check for fault codes with VCDS or similar.