Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - Dougie68

Hi Folks,

Turning right at a T junction with my light at green I was hit in the driver's side by a car going straight across a red.

I was trapped in the car until the police and ambulance arrived and was taken to hospital where a sprained shoulder and hairline crack in Clavicle was found. (I have thinning bones due to a medical condition.

The police took both sets of driver details and exchanged them for us as I was being treated in the ambulance. When the policeman gave me the card with her details he said she had said I had gone through a red light and as there were no witnesses they couldn't do anything. I did hear him say to the ambulance driver that it looks like she's gone through a red but can't do anything.

The policeman said very lucky as if it had hit the driver door full on rather than the pillar between the front and rear door I might not have got away so lightly.

My question is how do I find out if there are any traffic/cctv cameras to prove I was in the right? It's a junction I use regularly and have seen a few jump the lights before so can I find out how many accidents have occured and force the council to put in red light cameras so it doesn't happen again?

Holiday Monday up here in Glasgow so no calls yet from the garage regarding picking up the car from the police/recovery pound. Girl from Insurance said it could end up being a 50/50 blame. I know the wife is right and I should let it go but it's really annoying me as I know I'm right hence my quest to find any proof.

Bit late now but I've seen on YouTube that Russians are using cameras in their cars to prevent fraudulent insurance claims. Has anyone got one of these? It would have been damned useful on Saturday night!

Thanks guys in advance.

Dougie

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - galileo

Bit late now but I've seen on YouTube that Russians are using cameras in their cars to prevent fraudulent insurance claims. Has anyone got one of these? It would have been damned useful on Saturday night!

Thanks guys in advance.

Dougie

I have a Roadhawk dash camera, high definition video, automatically stores 10 seconds before/ten seconds after an impact in a separate part of the SD card, GPS location and your speed continuously recorded.

I hired a self -drive van a while back, all their fleet is fitted with the same gadget, thye clearly think its worth the expense.

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - gordonbennet

I haven't equipped myself so yet, but the increasingly dishonest dishonourable nature of our fellow 2 legged creatures means its only a matter of time.

I too would be annoyed about this, and i suspect it will be one you can't win...for even higher blood pressure enjoy opening the letter in due course from messrs Rippoff & Shark representing the poor ''victim'' you hit, claiming compo for heaven knows what injuries and emotional problems, all magically cured by money.

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - Andrew-T

If you had fitted your car with one of these cameras, would it have shown that the other driver ran a red light - in other words, could you see that light was red, or were you assuming that it was, because yours was green?

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - gordonbennet

Well, thanks Dougie, your post spurred me into action and i'm now £166 worse off, just ordered two of these plus 32gb micro cards to suit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWOq62cY6U

i hope your pleased with yourself spending my hard earned like that..:-)))

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/07/2014 at 20:35

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - focussed

These cameras seem like a good idea to record the circumstances of any accident.

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of actually getting either police or insurance to view a recording like this? In other words are the cops going to start whining about data protection nonsense because you were filming without the other driver's permission, or refuse it as evidence because it's not recorded on an "approved" camera?

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - bathtub tom

>> are the cops going to start whining about data protection nonsense because you were filming without the other driver's permission

It's perfectly legal to use a camera in a public place.

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - Andrew-T

It's perfectly legal to use a camera in a public place.

Would they consider your vehicle a public place? Do you ?

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - FP

The issue is what the camera is filming, not where it is positioned. If the activities are being carried out in public, the camera filming them could be concealed in someone's briefcase, for instance.

Edited by FP on 22/07/2014 at 12:37

Awfully nice of you to get me one gb ;-) Bit late, but thanks.

Seriously though, as back up to your side of a story, worth every penny. It might save you a packet

Thanks for your reply Andy. I would have hoped it would show me going through a green but you're right it wouldn't show her's as red. So she could still say her's was green. Good point but I would feel more "in the right" with my proof and they might own up...doubt it though. Thanks again.

Dougie

Hyundai i20 - Red light accident - concrete

Hello Dougie, sorry to read of your troubles and I hope you recover soon. The only positive is that you will recover and cars can be fixed. Regarding the camera. If it showed your light on green, then it should be impossible for the opposing lights to be on green too. Otherwise it is a recipe for disaster and there would be lots of accidents at that spot. The lights could easily be checked to establish they are sequencing correctly. If they are and you have a witness to confirm your story then you have a good case. Best of luck.

Concrete