Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - thirts

I've just taken delivery of a newish Ford, and was surprised by the lack of a petrol locking cap.

The fuel flap can be opened without a key or inside cab release leaver, albeit there appears to be a strong spring door that will only allow the right fuel nozzle in.

Given that I'm a bit paranoid as in the past of had some t***(s) jump on the roof of one car, and have another keyed whilst in a multi-storey, is this flap prone to prone to vandalism (i.e some pratt might think it's a geat wheez to bend the flap of it's hindges?

Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - elekie&a/c doctor

It is the same system used on Formula 1 racing cars.There is no locking cap on them either.Doesn't seem to be a problem.Just make sure you have the emergency filler tube in the tool kit that allows the fuel shutter system to be opened when you need to fill tank from a fuel can.

Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - Doc

It is the same system used on Formula 1 racing cars.There is no locking cap on them either. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

But you don't see many Formula 1 cars parked in the road, or in multi-storey car parks!

Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - daveyjp
Have you tried opening the cover when the car is locked? My Mercedes and previous Audi have had locking pins which operate with the central locking.

When refuelling the car is unlocked so it appears the fuel door never locks.
Have you tried opening the cover when the car is locked? My Mercedes and previous Audi have had locking pins which operate with the central locking. When refuelling the car is unlocked so it appears the fuel door never locks.

Well it could be that my car is faulty, but the cap opens evens when the car is locked - which I think is very odd!

Edited by thirts on 19/07/2014 at 22:52

Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - andyp

I think that the flap should lock with the central locking and that yours is faulty. It just doesn't sound right that it cant be locked. Phone a Ford dealer to confirm.

Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - p27wug

I think that the flap should lock with the central locking and that yours is faulty. It just doesn't sound right that it cant be locked. Phone a Ford dealer to confirm.

No, your car is not faulty. We took delivery of a new fiesta last month and it's the first thing I noticed. Confirmed with two ford dealers and a ford forum. In my opinion it's a rather silly design.
Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - daveyjp
Ford obviously see their system as anti syphon, so no need to fit a locking filler cap.
Ford Fiesta - Ford 'capless fuel' - gordonbennet

Anti syphon has been around for a long time, but nothing to stop some low life with a grudge pouring something nasty into the tank.

Do Ford sell a Gucci priced locking fuel cap by any chance?

>I think that the flap should lock with the central locking and that yours is faulty. It just doesn't sound right that it cant be locked

There appears to be two schools of thought regarding the non-ability to lock the fule flap.

One is what most car drivers think as reasonable, and the other is Ford's idea