Peugeot 306 XRDT Queries - Toolbox
I've just acquired a '94 Peugeot 306 XRDT but it didn't come with a handbook so I'm a bit in the dark about some things. I think it's got remote, central locking, alarm and immobiliser but the plip doesn't work remotely (the central locking works but I have to do it manually). I've just put new batteries in the plip and the little red light flashes briefly so that seems to be ok. I've just been reading how to programme plips so will give it a go tonight. Why would I have to re-programme a plip anyway ? When I turn the ignition off a little red light next to the radio/cassette buttons starts flashing, what does this indicate ? There's also a small button on the side of the steering column, when I press and hold it in, another small red light to the left of the central air vents just above the radio/cassette, lights up. What's this for ?
Peugeot 306 XRDT Queries - shaun
I dont have a peugeot but I think I know what some of these queries are. Is the stereo coded? if so when you turn off the ignition the light comes on to let a would-be thief know the radio is coded. (my vw does this). The button on the steering column could be a manual overide for an after-market alarm. set the alarm then open a door, do not disable the alarm with the remote, instead put the key into the ignition turn it so the dash lights up then press the button this should disable the alarm.(had one on my citroen)
Don't know if i'm right but its worth a try.
Peugeot 306 XRDT Queries - RichardW
Assuming Peugot used the same alarm as Citroen (highly likely):

Yes the light on radio shows that it has a code. Flatten or disconnect the battery and you'll need to code to make it work again. Code available from the Peugeot dealer.

The other light is the alarm light. If the alarm is armed it will flash slowly. If the alarm is set off it will flash rapidly until the igniton is turned on.

The button is probably the alarm cancel / ultrasonic sensor off button. If the remote stops working the alarm will go off when you open the car, turn the ignition on and press the button to shut it up. Press the button before leaving the car, then set the alarm, and the movement detectors inside the car will not be activated.

The remote is infra red, not radio, so needs to be pointed at the centre front of the roof where the receiver is. The plips are prone to the switches breaking off and not giving a signal, but can be reapaired with a soldering iron and a steady hand. You might be able to see the IR pulse if you look into the end of the plip and press the button (I can on my Xantia) or point it into a video camera to see it. You cannot 're-code' the plip to the car as it is hardwired on the chip in the plip / controller - it will either work or it won't.

If the plip has 1 button this will arm / disarm the alarm and lock / unlock the car. If 2, one will lock the car, the second will set the deadlocks and arm the alarm, pressing the first again will unlock the car and disarm the alarm. On the Xantia the button nearest the key is the first.

HTH

Richard
Peugeot 306 XRDT Queries - Dynamic Dave
Another way to test the infra-red plip if you don't have a video camera is to place it against a portable radio tuned to an empty MW station. If the plip is working you'll hear clicks or beeps coming out the loud speaker when you press the buttons.
Peugeot 306 XRDT Queries - Pug306xldt
Hi,

I have a '95 Peugeot 306 XLDT the small button on the side of the steering column is to switch off the interior sensors, but I just leave them on that way when car is alarmed it will sense any movement in the vehicle and sets off the alarm.

If you can't lock the doors with your plip, but it seems to be working ok you may just need to re-programme it, I don't know why they need reprogramming but I had to buy a new plip from peugeot and that was £60.

Kind Regards

Tigertim