Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - Johnxair

About 18 months ago, the car refused to start. It would fire, but splutter & die before reaching idle speed. After about 20 attempts, it started & ran normally. Several days later it cut out while on the move & refused to restart. Again after a number of attempts, it started & ran normally. At this point we asked our local garage to take a look. No fault codes had been recorded, so they suggested a mechanical cause such as the diesel lift pump.

I removed the pump from the tank & stripped it. Everything was spotlessly clean, with no sign of sediment, water or corrosion etc. On reassembly the car ran perfectly and didn't miss a beat until a month ago, when it cut out on me in the middle of a busy roundabout. Again it took two dozen attempts, with the engine coughing & spluttering below idle speed before it suddenly ran normally. I dismantled the tank pump for a second time, again finding no obvious cause. Afterwards the car was perfect until today......you guessed.....an exact repeat performance!

Some history: Mileage is 65,000 and we bought it 2 years ago at 51,000. At that point it had a full main dealer service history, last visit 48,000. I've done my own servicing since, but I haven't yet changed the diesel filter......this may be a sensible next move?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks. John

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - elekie&a/c doctor
Sensible next move,change the fuel filter.I. Would do this before anything else on a diesel with starting/running problems.
Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - Peter.N.

I would second that.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - RobJP

You say that you've done your own servicing, but you've neglected to change the fuel filter.

The saying of "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly" comes to mind.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - focussed

If it's done 65k miles and was dealer serviced before you got it, there is a very good chance that the fuel filter has never been changed, the symptoms of the breakdowns seem to support a diagnosis of the fuel filter getting to the point of being unable to flow enough fuel to keep the engine going.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - Manatee

You say that you've done your own servicing, but you've neglected to change the fuel filter.

The saying of "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing properly" comes to mind.

Perhaps the fuel filter wasn't scheduled for changing between 51000 & 65000?

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - gordonbennet

Fuel filter (and many other servicing requirements) shedules are for a perfect world, our MAN lorry filter schedule has been brought forward from the makers plan, roughly halved, due to fuel problem messages appearing regularly on the dash of all.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - Johnxair

OK.....today I changed the fuel filter. The old cartridge had a date code of August 2010, so would probably have been fitted at a service done in Jan. 2011 at 38K miles, hence well due for a new one!

Lets see if cuts on me again. Thanks for your help so far.

The fault is still there. It let me down again today. I've got a few more observations which might help....

1. When it cut on me today & I tried to restart, the revs initially went to 800 before dropping to 500-600 spluttering up & down, then faltering & dying. It didn't matter whether I tried another start immediately, or waited a while.

2. On every occasion, except once, the problem has occurred when slowing down to a roundabout/traffic lights AND around 5 minutes into a journey. It has never cut during a long journey nor when at cruising speed.

3. Ambient temperature doesn't seem to affect it. The problem has happened from freezing to high 20s.

Hyundai Tucson 2.0 Diesel Auto (2WD) 2007 - Diesel engine cutting out - Eric Walton

Hi JohnDid you ever get this sorted out ( and can you remember what it was if you did )
My experience is like a carbon copy of yours, in every way, including the roundabout.

I know this is an old post, but you may be able to help, ive tried everything also.

Cheers

Eric