Toyota Hilux - Buying advice required - Steveieb

Been looking for a Hilux for some time. But the Top Gear experience has made them very sought after and consequently expensive.

Taking HJ's advice I tried an Isuzu Pick up but found the ride really uncomfortable to the point that I felt sick.

Main dealers seem to have the best examples but adding VAT to the advertised price makes them seriously expensive.

Seem to think HJ advised against the automatic version but they go for less money. Any idea why.?

Grateful for your experiences and advice

Toyota Hilux - Buying advice required - daveyK_UK

In my experience of owning a Hilux and putting 70,000 miles (mainly motorway) on it, they are not as reliable as their reputation would suggest.

I had a drive shaft come piercing through the passenger foot well on the M6 amongst other minor faults.

I also found the Toyota dealers where a bit clueless when it came to the Hilux 4x4 system.

We no longer have the rural contracts so no longer need the commercial 4x4

One of my neighbours has a nearly new Great Wall Steed, reckons its better in the mud and at towing his trailer than his old Ford Ranger. It was cheap as well, cost him £13 grand.

Toyota Hilux - Buying advice required - gordonbennet

Had one for 3.5 years bought new in 2007...luckily ordered 2 weeks before that top gear special, so got a discount, auto box is one of the smoothest and a pleasure to drive, never heard anyone complain about the box before.

They hold their money, so you will have to pay well for a used one unless its battered and neglected, we got over 2/3rds of new cost back after 3.5 years selling direct to a trader (not a trade in), but the vehicle was as good as new and had been meticlously maintained.

They hold the money becuase compared to some of the others they are bombproof.

Ours didn't give any trouble, but the injectors were replaced under goodwill just out of warranty due to developing a well known injector rattle.

Unless they have been replaced with the modified type (ours were at the time), you really want an 08 plate or later, prior to 08 the injectors had certain seating washers that can leak, allowing blow by leading to carbon build up in the crankcase, this can lead to the oil strainer becoming blocked and has led to engine failure (Landcruiser with this engine similarly affected), Toyota have been generous with goodwill providing the vehicle has been serviced, but its something that needs checking as 07's are now 7 years old so goodwill won't be everlasting.

The 3.0 litre suffers more with this blow by problem than the 2.5.

Check underneath, the chassis isn't painted well so expect rust, exhaust rusts too.

You have to run very good tyres on these, they are tail happy skittish in the wet, Invincible spec especially which has limited slip rear diff which makes it very prone to slinging the tail out on wet roads empty, i discarded and sold on 2 sets of tyres incuding the OE tat before i found a make good enough.

Would i have another, yes, but 30mpg or less is the realistic figure and considerably less if you hammer it, i'd probably find a low mileage VIGO grey import with the 2.7 V6 petrol and get it LPG converted instead, plenty of room beside the chassis for one or possibly two 100 litre LPG tanks.

If i was buying a normal UK model i would go for an 08 to 10 HL3 3 litre auto, no LSD so less inclined to sling the tail out on wet roads, Invincible will cost more for basically a built in satnav, cruise and that LSD.

Newer model Invincibles have changed a lot, now feature various traction controls and climate control etc, which i personally would avoid as unecessary complexity on a commercial vehicle, others may disagree.

Toyota Hilux - Buying advice required - RobJP

A friend has a 2010 Hilux, the switchable 4 wheel drive had a failure recently, wouldn't go into 4 wheel drive, was just stuck with 2WD. Toyota basically said that the entire gearbox and switching unit needed replacing (£2500), however she managaed to find an independent who stripped down the actuator, cleaned it all up and then resealed the actuator. Cost £200.

So, if you do get one, make friends with a good indy garage. Or have deep pockets !

Toyota Hilux - Buying advice required - Steveieb

I really am most grateful for letting me have your experiences.

Most peoples opinion isw that these Hi luxs are bulletproof and that is why we see them on the TV news driven by rebel forces with guns monted on the back.

\Theb one I am looking at is a 60 plate auto with 45K and is on for £13500 plus VAT.

\