Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - Ford1968

I have a Golf Mk6 which is two years old and has done about 8000 miles.

1. The dealer is suggesting it's time for an air-con service - debug, clean, de-gas and refill etc. Is that really necessary yet?

2. Whereabouts can I find the dust/pollen filter and how easy would it be for me to clean it? Nothing about it at all in the Owners Manual :-(

Thanks!

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - Oli rag

Providing the air con is making lots of cool air ,I would avoid the regas service at only 2 years old.

Not sure on this car but usually they're hidden behind the passenger glove box. When I've changed mine after this length of time they are totally clogged with dust and seeds etc and look a bit beyond cleaning.

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - daveyjp
A new filter will be worth it. I think VWs have them in the passenger dash/footwell area.

No need for a regas, just keep the aircon on all the time and it will last years with no problems.
Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - elekie&a/c doctor

As above,if the a/c is blowing cold,leave it alone.The pollen/cabin filter is an easy diy job.Under the dash,passenger side,remove plastic trim covering,and the filter clips into the heater box housing.No more than a 10 min job.Its a replacement filter ,like an air filter,no need to clean.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 22/06/2014 at 22:25

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - galileo

I have a Golf Mk6 which is two years old and has done about 8000 miles.

1. The dealer is suggesting it's time for an air-con service - debug, clean, de-gas and refill etc. Is that really necessary yet?

My i30 just had its 5th birthday and the aircon is still fine. Either Golf aircons are inferior to Hyundai ones or the dealer is drumming up business for his workshop..

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - Manatee

Our 2002 Civic's automatic air conditioning has been permanently on for 12 years, and still blows cold.

The chap who looks after it thought it was a bit half hearted last year and gave it a top up, other than that it's not been touched.

The Honda dealer I used to use always suggested the air con deodoriser business. As it didn't odour, I declined.

It's a racket really, unless it has some sort of preventive maintenance angle but I've never been persuaded that is the case.

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - skidpan

My seat leon went in for its first service 2 Fridays ago. The dealer wanted to carry out a full A/C service and debug etc for £30. Told him not to bother, he appeared quite upset.

Probably why they did not bother to tighten the sump plug.

£30? That's better than the £79 wanted by my VW dealer!

Thanks for the replies. Certainly I see no need to have it serviced at the moment - it blows cool just fine - if/when it stops doing that, then I may worry.....

Some years ago I had a Toyota and the Owners Manual for that included a section about removing/replacing the filter, complete with illustrations for the process - nothing like that in the VW book. I couldn't see anything obvious when I looked in the glove-box, I shall have to look further......

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - elekie&a/c doctor

The cabin filter is not in the glove box.

...no, it's behind it and underneath!

Having browsed the web further, I found some useful pictures and guidance, so I was able to find it and get it out today to double-check the part number etc. Mind you, not realising that it was vertical rather than horizontal (unlike my previous car), I got a bit of mess on the floor.

What I was NOT prepared for though was that, once it was removed, ALL the electric windows suddenly opened right down! So even more mess then blew in....:-(

Golk Mark 6 - Golf Mk6 AirCon filter and service - mark999

VAG use Mann or Valeo pollen filters. Try Eurocarparts - paid less than £7 delivered for the Octavia