6-speed gearboxes - bathtub tom

I'm looking to change my car, but I'm coming across different manufacturers that fit 6-speed gearboxes into the models with the larger engine. Smaller engines managing with 5-speed.

I would imagine a larger capacity engine with more power and torque should need fewer gears, not more.

Is it just 'bragging rights', or can someone give a rational explanation?

6-speed gearboxes - gordonbennet

The 6 speeders i've driven top gear appears to have taken the place of overdrive, not really a gear for acceleration in most cases, offering 80mph cruising at little over 1500rpm.

Some of the Diesel offerings have such small useable power bands that to get low revved cruising speed you need that 6th...hopefully they will have lowered 1st gear on some as well for obvious reasons.

6-speed gearboxes - RT

The 6 speeders i've driven top gear appears to have taken the place of overdrive, not really a gear for acceleration in most cases, offering 80mph cruising at little over 1500rpm.

Some of the Diesel offerings have such small useable power bands that to get low revved cruising speed you need that 6th...hopefully they will have lowered 1st gear on some as well for obvious reasons.

Most 5-speed boxes had 5th as the overdrive, with 4th geared for top speed - the 6-speeders often having two overdrive gears.

On automatics, 8-speeds is the new "must have" - it allows such a small rpm difference between gears that the clutch lock-ups can be in operation all the time apart from starting from stationary, which improves economy hugely by minimising torque converter losses.

6-speed gearboxes - Manatee

I'd guess the more gears the more likely that at least one of them is an overdrive (in the sense that maximum speed is reached in a lower gear) which allows for better economy at cruising speeds, and better official mpg. And a bit of marketing maybe.

The 7 speed DSG Popemobile doesn't appear to use 7th at all in S mode. I never use 6/6 in the Outlander when towing.

6-speed gearboxes - AlexT

I just assumed it's for fuel efficency? no?

6-speed gearboxes - Avant

This may be nothing more subtle than the need to make a profit on smaller cars by fitting cheaper components. I'm no expert, but I would expect that the cost of making, say, a £10,000 VW Up is more than half the cost of making a £20,000 Golf. But they can only sell it for half as much.

Someone may have inside knowledge and can enlighten us further on this.

6-speed gearboxes - Auristocrat

Toyota use a six speed gearbox on engines from their 1.33 upwards (IQ, Yaris, Auris for example), and the sixth gear is a high gear intended for economical and quieter cruising.

As regards production costs of models like the Up/Citigo/Mio, and the Aygo/C1/108, these are reduced by basing production in countries like Slovakia (Up/Citigo/Mio) and the Czech Republic (Aygo/C1/108), where labour rates are less. Another example of this is the current Seat Toledo which is made by Skoda alongside the Rapide, and the forthcoming Seat SUV which will be made by Skoda as well - in the Czech Republic.

6-speed gearboxes - slkfanboy

Sadly cars are getting more gears. It odd as the Jag. I have the 6 speed box has less components and is lighter than the old 5 speed box. Ratios are as follows

1 2 3 4 5 6
4.17:1 2.34:1 1.52:1 1.14:1 0.87:1 0.69:1

So 5 and 6 are very close in ratio and may good for motorway use. This is fine on the Jag. as the torgue allows the engine to be eff. at lowr revs.

I had a 1.6 golf with 6 gears now this was not so good. I cant find gear ratio's on google but the Golf has quite long gears ratios with 5/6 quite close. I did test using 5/6 and notice no befits evan on the motorway, unless your doing around 85! I guess in Germany this may be fine, but UK speed limits mean 6th has little use in a small car.

6-speed gearboxes - Avant

"6th has little use in a small car."

Often true, but it depends on the ratios of the other 5. SWMBO had one of the first Honda Jazzes back in 2002, and that cried out for a 6th gear on the motorway. But her previous Ford Ka was absolutely fine with 5 gears, and you could drive a long distanvce without stress to car or driver.

Some of Richard Parry-Jones's flair rubbed off on the original Ka, and it was a hoot to drive on all types of road. Sadly the current model owes everything to the Fiat 500 and nothing to Parry-Jones.

6-speed gearboxes - Bobbin Threadbare

"6th has little use in a small car."

Often true, but it depends on the ratios of the other 5. SWMBO had one of the first Honda Jazzes back in 2002, and that cried out for a 6th gear on the motorway. But her previous Ford Ka was absolutely fine with 5 gears, and you could drive a long distanvce without stress to car or driver.

The Honda CR-Z has a 6-speed box and the ability to drop down to 5th on the motorway has been very useful in the 2 weeks I have had mine!

6-speed gearboxes - skidpan

We had a Golf TDi in the 90's/early 2000's with a 5 speed box. The gearing was quite tall and that mean't that the ratios were quite widely spaced, this in turn caused problems in town, 2nd was too low, 3rd was too high. It spoilt what was a really good car. Great on the motorway, tiresome in town.

Now we have a Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi. 6 speed box and in 6th its slightly higher geared than the Golf was in 5th but it has a set of nicely spaced ratios below that. Result is a car that is even better on the motorway and nice in town.

Would I want a 5 speed box on this car, no way.

6-speed gearboxes - craig-pd130

My last 3 turbodiesels have had 6-speed manual boxes, with varying degrees of success in terms of drivability and economy.

In the Passat B5.5 PD130, the ratios were quite closely stacked to fully exploit the 'torque band,' although the engine was very flexible and didn't really need 6 gears. However, It did mean that 4th gear was shorter than in the 5-speed gearbox variants, making it great for single-carriageway use, as at any speed above 35mph you had big overtaking grunt instantly available without needing to change gear. 5th was useful for long-striding economy on dual carriageways and 6th reserved for motorways.

In the Mondeo IV 2.0TDCI, the gears were too high for the engine's torque and car's weight, so 6th was very much an overdrive and only really usable at the legal limit on motorways. This dented economy, too, unless you drove like a granny.

In my current Volvo V60, 4th, 5th and 6th are very usable thanks to the engine's high torque output (295ft-lb from 1,500 to 2,750rpm). Although 6th is very tall (at 70mph, the engine's turning at 1,800rpm) there's still plenty of grunt while enabling 50+mpg economy.