Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - groaver

The future of the Toyota Avensis is in doubt after the automaker's Europe boss said the mid-sized model would be excluded from the company's plan to offer hybrid versions of every model sold in the region by 2020.

"Do we plan to introduce an Avensis hybrid? No," Didier Leroy told Automotive News Europe. "Do we have a plan to introduce in the next five to seven years a hybrid model in the mid-sized segment? The answer is clearly, yes."

Leroy said the question Toyota has to determine is whether it should develop a Europe-specific sedan and wagon like the Avensis, which is only produced at the automaker's UK plant, or offer a much more global product.

"It's very tough to be in the mid-sized segment in Europe," Leroy said.

In western Europe the volume mid-sized segment is on track to have its lowest sales this decade, dropping below a half-million units this year from more than 800,000 in 2011, according to IHS Automotive, as customers switch to premium rivals or hot-selling volume crossovers.

europe.autonews.com/article/20140619/ANE/140619865...d

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Avant

I don't think it's selling well. The Carina grew into the Avensis, just as the Cortina grew into the Mondeo, and these are big cars. And big cars from non-premium brands (sorry, Toyota) will never sell well again - the last ones that did were the Granada and to a lesser extent the Carlton and Senator.

Big cars are mostly bought by fleet managers who can get good leasing deals on the German marques - and the sales reps can make do with Focuses, Astras or perhaps Aurises.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - daveyK_UK

I know they have lost sales by putting an electronic parking brake into it.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - alan1302

I know they have lost sales by putting an electronic parking brake into it.

I doubt though that most people care enough to stop buting a car for having one. And plenty of popular cars come with them as well.

Think the slow sales are more down to people not wanting them when they can have the 'presteige' of a BMW/Audi instead.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Bilboman

I have very mixed feelings about the 2012 model Tourer which has been my company car from new. Dull, characterless and anonymous, it's the getaway car Joe Public would be most unlikely to remember! It's not exactly overendowed with power, and has just enough torque for everyday situations.
It is beautifully quiet and smooth and comfortable - a joy on long motorway journeys and I've hit 47 mpg from day one (120 PS 2.0 diesel D4D engine).
The demented electric parking brake jammed on yesterday for the fourth time that I can remember, which nearly sent me into a Basil Fawlty rage with a tree branch. The designer of that piece of evil deserves a damn good thrashing.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Auristocrat

I think Toyota will bring the Corolla saloon into the UK to replace the Avensis saloon. Same wheelbase. Virtually the same size. Hybrid version available. Built in Turkey in place of the 3 door Auris. Production of Toyota's new crossover could replace the Avensis production.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Auristocrat

The current Avensis is nearing the end of its life - now five years old. In 2015, Toyota will be introducing a crossover vehicle to compete with the likes of the Qashqai, etc - so perhaps they will replace the European Avensis production with the crossover, which is what Nissan partly did with the Qashqai (replacing the Almera and Primera), as this market sector is growing rather than contracting.

It may make more sense for Toyota to import the similar-sized Camry or Aurion as a replacement for the Avensis - of which there are already hybrid versions in production.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - SteveLee

The "family car" has been replaced by crossovers and soft-roaders. The usual rep mobiles aside mid-sized saloons are a dying sector.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - daveyK_UK

I do think there is a market for the big estates.

I agree the saloon market (with the exception of the premium badges) has been in decline for years.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - RT

Big estates are dying as well - crossovers and SUVs do that job as well, or better - particularly in 2wd form.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Galad

As the owner of a 2013 Avensis from new I'm not surprised at the poor sales. I miss the flexibility of the hatchback in the previous model which lots of taxi drivers use. It's also not as comfortable and my knees get stuck under the steering wheel getting in and out of the driver's seat. Petrol versions are rare. Less said about the electronic handbrake the better - SWMBO refuses to drive it for that very reason.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - corax

Big estates are dying as well - crossovers and SUVs do that job as well, or better - particularly in 2wd form.

Crossovers and SUV's are popular because people like to sit high and they are easy to get in and out of, especially for the growing aging population.

I'm not sure that they offer any more space, certainly not lengthways - many of them sit within a shorter wheelbase. Estates are more efficient in terms of aerodynamics and have better handling, but that doesn't seem so high on peoples list of priorities.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Trilogy

If it didn't look so dull it would have sold better.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - Ben79

Has anyone driven one? I drove my brother's 1.8 petrol CVT and found the steering lacks feel, the "flappy paddles" only change the noise from the engine and have no noticeable impact on acceleration. Then there's the shapeless and unsupportive seats. For a fully grown adult, the rear seats are a place of torture and I get pains in my legs as the seat squabs aren't shaped.

It's going to be reliable as there's no strain on the drivetrain as there's no power or torque, and the suspension/steering isn't encouraging you to thrash it round corners.

Then there's the electric handbrake..... Glad my large Kia saloon has a manual handbrake!

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - gordonbennet

We'd have had one if it hadn't been for the EPB (which works backwards anyway) its a lovely car apart from that, and i suspect Toyota will dump EPB in the skip where it belongs when Avensis is replaced, note new Auris has a proper handbrake.

Where Toyota in Europe have gone wrong IMO is their cars are so plain looking now (Avensis Tourer much nicer looking), and i point the finger at Lexus here, as soon as smaller Lexus arrived the superb and nice looking Camry was dumped, and successive Avensi have looked drab deliberately IMO to push buyers to the more lucrative Lexus badge.

Crossovers and SUV's are popular because people like to sit high and they are easy to get in and out of, especially for the growing aging population.

I'm not sure that they offer any more space, certainly not lengthways - many of them sit within a shorter wheelbase. Estates are more efficient in terms of aerodynamics and have better handling, but that doesn't seem so high on peoples list of priorities.

My Hyundai Santa Fe has as much load length with more width and height than a LWB Vectra-C Estate - but obviously small crossovers can never be compared against big estates.

I take your point about aerodynamics - which has the best handling depends on the brand, I'd take a Subaru Outback for handling over any conventional estate.

Toyota Avensis - End of the road? - retgwte

SUV's etc are also popular due to the extra ground clearance many provide which helps with the ever more ridiculous speed humps being installed by our anti car councils.

SUV's etc are also popular due to the extra ground clearance many provide which helps with the ever more ridiculous speed humps being installed by our anti car councils.

Many cross-overs and soft-road SUVs have little more actual ground clearance than conventional saloon/estate/hatchbacks - despite their styling.