500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - repairman

An expensive problem with a three year old Fiat 500 is the failure of the wiring loom where it passes through the rear of the body into the tailgate via a convoluted rubber gaitor. The central locking will fail and you can no longer open the tailgate(except from the inside via the emergency lever), various warning lights come up on the dashboard etc.The loom is subject to bending stress here every time the tailgate is opened and shut. The more it is used the earlier the wiring will fracture and break, for instance, daily use for shopping or letting a dog in and out. The main dealer solution to this car was a £600 fit of a new wiring loom. However, with a little patience there is a simple repair that costs about a £1. First, pull some loom through the gaitor from the C pillar., then remove the internal tailgate pressed board cover to reveal the wiring connections, disconnect the two rear heated window connections, the rearwiper motor connection and undo the rear lock which allow you to pull some loom through from the tailgate. Now you can see the broken connections. Carefully strip each broken wire, slide on a heat shrink sleeve and twist the bare ends together. Solder the wire and when all the broken wires are repaired this way apply some heat to shrink all the sleeving down to a tight fit. Relocate the convoluted rubber gaitor and finally carefully pull all your new wiring connections through into the tailgate, connect up the rear screen demister etc and refit the pressed board cover....Hey presto you have saved about £600 !

Top Reply

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - thehazards

There are some very good pictures half way down Page 2 of this link http://www.fiatforum.com/500/247768-cant-open-boot-2.html showing the problem on a red Fiat 500c. There is also a link to a German company that sells a fixing kit (essentailly a new gaitor and a short section of loom that you crimp in).

Other causes of the boot not unlocking are the microswitch (see above article) or you need to reset the roof: note the boot lock is inhibited when the roof is down and so the 2 are linked. Here's how to reset:

make sure the motor is running during the whole initialisation procedure

keep the opening button pressed until the soft top is completely open

when the soft top is completely open, keep the opening button pressed for at least 2 seconds more

keep the closing button pressed until the soft top is completely closed

when the soft top is completely closed, keep the closing button pressed for at least 2 seconds more

When the procedure is terminated, the soft top will automatically carry out a complete opening and closing cycle (up to 25 cm from the completely closed position) to inform the driver that correct operation has been restored.

All Replies

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - Peter.N.

Had the same problem with Citroen estate cars only I spliced about 6" of wire in each lead to prevent the joint from being in the stress position. I joined mine with crimp connectors although I admit soldering would be better.

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - thehazards

There are some very good pictures half way down Page 2 of this link http://www.fiatforum.com/500/247768-cant-open-boot-2.html showing the problem on a red Fiat 500c. There is also a link to a German company that sells a fixing kit (essentailly a new gaitor and a short section of loom that you crimp in).

Other causes of the boot not unlocking are the microswitch (see above article) or you need to reset the roof: note the boot lock is inhibited when the roof is down and so the 2 are linked. Here's how to reset:

make sure the motor is running during the whole initialisation procedure

keep the opening button pressed until the soft top is completely open

when the soft top is completely open, keep the opening button pressed for at least 2 seconds more

keep the closing button pressed until the soft top is completely closed

when the soft top is completely closed, keep the closing button pressed for at least 2 seconds more

When the procedure is terminated, the soft top will automatically carry out a complete opening and closing cycle (up to 25 cm from the completely closed position) to inform the driver that correct operation has been restored.

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - Railroad.
Prevention is better than cure. A more simple solution is don't buy a Fiat.
FIAT stands for Found In A Tip.
500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - gordonbennet

I thought it was Fix It Again Tomorrow....similarly Fix Or Repair Daily.

Either way what a rigmarole just to get a roof central locking or electric window working, keep it simple.

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - twitcherman

Lotus - Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious

Iveco - It Vibrates; Everything Comes Off

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - Galaxy

Oh, OK then, if we're going to go through them all then how about:

Found On Rubbish Dump

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - madf

Thousands OF Young OrdinaryTravellers Asleep.

Horrible Ordinary Nerds Drive Agrressively

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - Railroad.
Poor Electrics Useless Gearbox, Endless Other Trouble.
500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - focussed

Has anyone got one for Mitsubishi? Now that has to be a challenge!

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - ED731PDH

Try this site; http://www.dunkworld.com/car_acronyms.htm

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - Podracev

I have the same problem - price now £792 from Fiat Marylebone. Bit of a joke on a car that is less than 4 years old with 35,000 miles. Number plate lights do not work as a result = MOT failure.

Obviously a known fault. Have requested 'goodwill contribution'. If the answer is negative, I will sell the car and I will never buy another Fiat again.

500 - Fiat 500 wiring loom failure - focussed

If it makes you feel any better about your FIAT, I had exactly the same problem with a Volvo 245 GLT estate years ago - and it wasn't as easy to repair either, I recall spending about 2 days in a freezing garage in winter sorting it out.